silver airtights

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by CajunStacker, Jan 20, 2015.

1. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

Looking to buy airtights for my newly acquired silver. Where would be the place to find cheap quality airtights?

Thank you!

Happy Stacking!

2. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

In the US? I get mine (the Direct-Fit type, with tubes that fit 20 capsules) on eBay..

Do a seller ID search for "onfireguy"

Good product, good prices, fast shipping.

Keep in mind that different 1-oz govt-issued coins, for example, have slightly different diameters. Make sure you get the correct size capsule.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301401619471

That particular size (H-40) will fit Eagles, Panda's, Libertads, etc.

The other two popular sizes for 1-oz are H-38 & H-39. Sometimes dealers (like Apmex) will provide the diameter in the coin's description.

You can mix & match encapsulated 1-oz coins all in one tube, as the *outer* diameter of those capsules are the same.. It's only the inner diameter that differs.

Obviously there are also other capsule sizes for stuff like US junk silver, 1-oz bars, etc.

EDIT: Just remembered.. Provident has pretty decent prices on them, too.

3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Check http://www.jpscorner.com or http://www.air-tites.com JP's has the best prices of the online vendors I'm familiar with, but I bought some EZ Est from them via eBay because it was significantly cheaper than via their website. If you figure that one out, let me know what the logic is.

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Just did a quick comparison on eBay for both JP's & onfireguy.. Identical prices on air-tites.

Have to figure in shipping for the total cost, too, which is why I don't order directly from vendors' websites.

Not to mention eBay Bucks.. :D

OP: Depending on how many you need, if you ever buy from Provident, you could always just throw some in your Provident order, and possibly won't bump you up into the next shipping tier.

And plan accordingly, wherever you get the air-tites from, as you can get them cheaper in bulk, the more you get. You'd be surprised how fast you can plow through them, especially if you transfer any coins from their original capsules from the mint.

Of course, your cost per ounce will go up a bit, and air-tites take up more room, than had you just stored them "naked" in tubes or something. But, they come in handy if you want to try to protect your coins better.. and could help you fetch a better price when/if you ever sell any.

5. Theantifunie

Theantifunie New Member

I second onfireguy on ebay

6. BoliverT.

BoliverT. New Member

Make that a third on onfireguy also can buy from him on Amazon, I have never had any faster shipping and the service is excellent.

7. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

When I was purchasing many different sizes for a coin collection I used air-tites.com The prices was ok and you could buy individual sizes. Only thing I hate is they try to squeeze them all into one flat rate box and have them seperated and layed on eachother making them hard to identify.