Buying off the forums

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Caneorange, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Caneorange

Caneorange Member

I have been reading posts on here for over a year and am thinking of buying from the forums.

Has anyone been burned doing this and what advice do you have regarding payment and receipt of the silver?

Thanks for your time.

2. Caneorange

Caneorange Member

Northeast Oklahoma in USA

3. PlataStacker

PlataStacker New Member

I'm a new member from New York city and Im looking to trade or sell my 2014 Somali elephant set.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally I haven't but there have been a few incidences where something has gone missing in transit, someone backed out of a deal when spot dropped, disagreement on the condition of the bars etc. Pretty inevitable with the amount of trades made through the forum.

Usually the person with the least amount of trades deposits the cash first and then the PM's are sent after. Always ask for Signature on Delivery or some sort of tracking with OTTO packaging.

5. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

house what about in the case that neither person has any trades, would you then go off of who has been here longer or what

6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gotta start somewhere, two people without trades could come to own terms, do a couple of small trades up first lessening the exposure to being ripped off..

7. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe better to try and trade with some established USA members first before trading overseas. Postage is way cheaper and once you build up some solid feedback you will have more chance of successful sales elsewhere.

8. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think if you're in the USA you should sign up to bullionstacker.com, if you're not already a member there. It's USA-centric whereas trading here is mainly Australia based.

9. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Coincidentally though, I live in Northwest Arkansas, easily within driving distance. Unfortunately I have nothing to sell at the moment though. But we should TOTALLY hang out anyway.

10. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'd also add that if you're looking to buy, perhaps to consider protecting yourself via PayPal backed by credit card -- even moreso if it's PayPal Gift.

Extra fees for you as a buyer? Yep. Worth the "insurance"? All it takes is one transaction to go bad for whatever reason, and you'll be happy you used it.

If you have a cash-back or rewards card, it will help partially offset those small costs.

Not disagreeing.. But you have to admit, international trade has some advantages. :)

11. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I'm from the UK and have bought coins from the Aussie guys on here with no problems. You have to trust people to do the right thing & in 99% of the cases your trust is rewarded. There will always be one bad apple but I'd still have no hesitation doing deals with the guys on here, obviously have a look at feedback if any is available.

12. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I agree with this, that is a great place to make some deals in the U.S. I have made a few purchases there in the past.

If you've never made a trade before it is easyiest if you are buying. Just send the money with paypal gift and your end is covered.