A NEW SERIES IS COMING VERY SOON...

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Haha I'm out too...

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I like the design. Apparently, there's an offer open for a short time; order 1 silver, get the copper at no charge at all.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I saw that. I think the price is $69 USD. Getting a bit expensive for those of us in Aus if shipping is needed too.

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Sixty-two-fiddy..

And with the copper thrown in, it's really only $42 & change!

Still not interested.

I think part of it is both skulls are throwing it off.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I hope they didnt make a huge investment into this coin based on the popularity of the lunar skull, because these 2 coins...oops, one coin and one a medal are very, very different. I say it will be dud...just my opinion.

oh, by the way, anyone know what the latest is on the price of the 1 oz lunar proof goat skull? we still pushing 200'ish?

6. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I dunno toss another on the bay and see what you catch:lol:

Yeah, Im surpised they made these rounds and not coins like the lunar skulls. Why couldn't they have done the same process?

7. mmissinglink

Personally, I don't understand why a stacker who opines against fiat currencies would attach any significant meaning / value to a round which happens to have a nominal fiat denomination minted onto it over a round which does not. Can any of you folks who make it a point to note that the new Skull round is not a coin elaborate on why this would be so critical or important?

As someone who purchases blobs, coins, and medals, I generally don't attach any significant meaning (therefore no significant value) to a silver product just because it has a fiat denomination stamped onto it. I would probably be as much of a fan of the US Mint's ATB 5 oz silver coins were they not to have the "25 Cents" denomination stamped onto it than I am of them as they are with the "25 Cents".

The only possible answer (or argument) to that I can think of is the claim that in the aftermarket, most potential buyers of such products are coin collectors, and it is really the coin collectors who are the one's attaching significant meaning...ergo, a stacker purchasing silver coins rather than similar silver rounds will be making a better investment by purchasing a coin rather than a round because when s/he goes to flip it / sell it, the demand by those interested in buying silver products like these will be greater for the coin as opposed to the round. So, the stackers who buy coins rather than rounds are most interested in flipping / selling to collectors?

Hey, and if that argument is true, I'm not knocking it, just trying to understand the reasoning behind certain sentiments of some stackers.

8. barsenault

that's exactly right missing. as you know, I could careless, because I collect lots of medals, and love them. I do think perception among the collectors out there is that attaching a monetary value to the coin gives it...well, more value...I hear that a bit even among the collectors of pandas vs medal...well, a medal doesn't have a $$ value associated to it, so it's not as good as rare panda, as an example. yet, when you look at the Pagoda series or the ANA 1985 Great Wall Medal, or a series of other older chinese medals...they sure do command a high price. LOL. I just dont like this round, simply put. And I wouldn't even if they didn't put a $ value on it. However, I'm not so sure I would have bought the Lunar Goat without the $ Value on it...because of the perception it created. Maybe I'm nuts. LOL

9. Gatito Bandito

Not really directed at me, as I still wouldn't buy it if it had a fiat value attached..

But generally speaking, I think one reason why people don't do more rounds/medals is lack of time.

I already spend a lot of it just trying to keep up with current & new issues -- never mind older slabbed numismatics (some of which were once used as everyday currency), as well as "blobs." And I'm definitely not alone in that.

I guess the subliminal fiat "tradition" is pretty strongly ingrained, which just perpetuates itself?

Besides, most large dealers typically carry way more coins. People will buy what's widely available & readily accessible, with one-stop shopping that's right in front of them. There's just so much out there these days, yet not enough time to explore it all. How many rounds/medals is Apmex/Provident/MCM/Gainesville/JM Bullion/etc., carrying, compared to coins?

Another thing is lack of money. The nicer rounds/medals oftentimes go for decent bucks. Those with more of a stacker mentality (as opposed to collector), will go for the lower-priced generic stuff, and perhaps "splurge" on ASE's & Maples. Different mentalities -- and different budgets.

And even those who might eventually move up the chain will just progress towards more expensive (semi-) numismatics, as it's an easy, natural straight shot on the continuum of their journey.

Finally, perhaps it's the whole thing about fakes? Obviously a lot of fakes out there, regardless if it has a fiat stamp on them. But counterfeiting rounds might not have the same potential punishment as counterfeiting coins, thereby increasing the chance of buying a fake? Not saying that's reality, but perhaps it's more of the perception.

Not to mention that a government mint will have official annual mintages which people readily accept -- while private mints producing rounds/medals might carry the stigma of minting more than stated, even if not true in many/all cases.

Just a few ideas, anyway.

Not answering for those who posted earlier, but more of a general explanation of a wider group..

10. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

coins are government backed money, and therefore, guaranteed by government to be what they are meant to be.

That's an appealing reason for investors to buy an ASE over a round made by a random with an idea (even when that idea is great). Stats don't lie when you look at coin sales from the major mints, the overwhelming majority appreciate the security that comes with a coin.

11. bring-the-silver

bring-the-silver Member

I think a counter to this point is that often the mints might state exactly how many they made, but release god knows how many variants thus causing a price collapse anyway.
    Not really adding anything to the argument, but I wouldn't say based on mintage figures alone you can deem if a coin is likely to bump up in price.

I also appear to be in a very small minority, but I actually think the coin is pretty neat, steep price but a cool coin IMO.

The fact they've done different designs for each metal type is very cool as well, I haven't seen that done before (not saying it's unique by any means, but an interesting idea and to an avid collector, adds another element of collecting)

12. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like to subscribe to my own theory that Government backed rounds are legal tender and somehow remain the property of the Government who may at any time decide to change the currency, at which time they will give you the face value of your coins in the new currency.

I know the likelihood of this happening is low, but countries change currencies from time to time, whether it be through decimalisation, joining the euro, breaking away from the communist block, currency collapse or what ever. It is unlikely that they will demand the return of the silver coins, but they already compulsory purchase peoples houses when they feel like it and they can demonstrate that it is for the greater good.

The less I have to do with Governments the better.

13. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In such a scenario, what's to stop people melting them down and creating generic blobs of silver?

14. Luker

Luker Member

$222.50 US (ended 1/13/2015):
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231445616391...arms=gh1g=I231445616391.N15.S2.M-15434.R2.TR3

But there is currently one up for bid for only $179.50 US (with 8 hours 21 minutes remaining)...perhaps you can put a low-ball bid in and get it for only $200.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371238562631?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

Cheers,
    Luker

15. barsenault

Ha. I'm ready to sell both mine for 500. Any takers? I think when these 'flood' the market...when folks receive the actual, and many have multiple orders, and they want to sell, these will come down in price. Call me crazy, but I say it touches 150.00, and then maybe it starts to climb.

16. Gatito Bandito

The BIN listings for the Aquarius rounds (Ag & Cu) have been up on eBay for a day now..

Only 1 Ag sold.

I wonder how the subscription went.

Reception seems mixed, at best, from what I can see so far.

In order to avoid that future for the Lunar series, the artist is going to have to do a comparable job as she did with the goat skull. There are plenty of cool examples of various animal skull photos out there.. so as long as it's translated well, the series should be at least fine.

17. barsenault

not that i wish it. But I say epic fail. let's see how it unfolds. there are just too many trying to do the same. the lunar skull was unique...and even those...I'm not so sure they will continue their nose bleed ascent. I think it was our community hyping it. LOL. Let's see when they start to get released and shipped and received. I hope those skulls go to 1000.00. I'm selling both mine. You want to buy? :D

18. Luker

Luker Member

Winning bid:
    US $234.38

19. Jsvand5

Jsvand5 Member

This Aquarius coin is definitely hideous. The skull just doesn't look like it attaches to the body right. Breast on a skeleton? Even the text looks cheap to me.

20. mmissinglink

As someone who has studied fine art and anatomy, I can attest that the skull is in the correct position in relation to the torso...it's the vertebral column, in my opinion, which is slightly off. Perhaps that was intentional, I don't know.

As for breasts on a skeleton, obviously it's not meant to be seen as literal...it's a well done (IMHO) stylized interpretation of a concept....a concept that I have not seen executed previous to this...it's novel. The sculpt is a much better quality sculpt than the Perth Mint's disastrous G.O.O. series sculpts which are crude, simplistic, and very cheap looking, as if a toddler poked in soft clay with a nail file.

We are all entitled to our personal tastes. I give this design my thumbs up.

[​IMG]