How should I store a large amount of 2007 silver pandas?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by MoralHazard, Jan 17, 2015.

1. MoralHazard

MoralHazard Member

Hello

I have inherited some time ago a pretty large amount (hundreds) of 2007 pandas in their original mint sheets. The original owner of this pile has taken very good care of the coins preserving them in their sealed sheets and most of the coins (over 95%) are free of any milk spots. I am aware of the high collectability of the older Pandas and have paid a lot of attention for storing them properly.

However because of storage concerns the mint sheets really take a lot of space and I would like to move the coins to a safety deposit box in my local bank. The full sheets are too large for that purpose. What I have thought of doing is the following:

1.Open all the mint sheets
    2.Store all of the coins in the following tubes http://www.air-tites.com/storage-tube-coin-holders.htm#.VLmpniusV8E
    3.Vacuum seal the tubes
    4.Stack the tubes in the safety-deposit box

However what troubles me is that do I lose any of the Panda premiums if I take the coins out of the original sheet? At some point I think I need to sell these in full sheets as selling them individually would take literally years.
    I have not sold a lot of the coins yet. What I have done is that I have casually put one or two coins at a time to a local auction site where these fetch large premium pretty quickly.

Any suggestions how would I be able to optimize the return potential of this amount of Pandas when it is time to sell? Would you sell these in large quantity or individually? I have thought about grading but if I do this, then I basically have to sell these individually as no single person would ever buy (say 30) pieces of graded pandas.

Thanks for your suggestions

2. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Start selling some now and buy low premium bars that are easier to store.

3. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Probably not a good idea to take then out of their packaging.

4. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unfortunately they retain their premiums in those sealed packaging.

You can always choose to take them out but don't eexpect them to command the same premiums as sealed trays. :)

5. Hp1173

Hp1173 Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree with this comment. But it does depend if you are a silver stacker or a coin collector.

6. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

I want some. sell meeeee

7. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Break 1 or 2 sheets and grade it if u have the connection with china or other countries dealers to sell panda.

Leave one in sheet and sell in future

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Let me know the price if u intend to sell the whole sheet

9. MoralHazard

MoralHazard Member

This is something I have done. I have sold propably 45 of these coins and flipped the proceeds to Lunar 2 oz and 5 oz coins (similar premium to ASE's here in Europe)

People say here that you should not open the sealed sheets. However this is the only option if I sell them individually or smaller chunks. I have never trid to put a whole sheet for sale but I would expect I would not get as far as that much as selling individually?

I do not have a hurry with these. I am a collector at my heart so I love owning the coins (or at least a large amount of it) rather than generics. I can even inherit these to my own kids when the time comes (to pass the trouble of selling)

All in all I think opening the sheets is my only practical solution as I want to move the coins out of my house to a safety deposit box. And I have investigated that there are no large enough boxes available in my area that can house the sheets. So assuming I would open the sheets what do you think about the steps 2-3 as as long term strorage option?

10. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

dont open them!!!! if at all possible a dealer, a collector all will pay a premium, the coins HAVE A PREMIUM because they are in mint sealed sheets ,they are not a particularly valuable panda now BUT wait 10 more years?? As panda coins are now pure bullion with millions minted ,those pre 2009 panda,s with 600,000 minted (i believe) are becoming more valuable . panda collectors and panda,s are being graded by NGC ,PCGS ,and also an upstart grading company in china ............ Someone experienced in grading coins INSTANTLY KNOWS those 30 ct sheets cannot be picked over and are essentially "virgin coins" thus a premium ........ want to sell ? I am a buyer of 30 ct sheets @ a fair price PM me :p

11. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

Based upon my research, those sheets command around $2,250 per sheet. F.Y.I.

12. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

that is quite rich :) in the current market more like 1800 usd max 1950 for someone who really wants them IMHO

13. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I say hold on to it. Unless someone wants to pay more than 2250 USD per sheet. :p