Beginner stacking

Discussion in 'Silver' started by CajunStacker, Jan 16, 2015.

1. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

I am in the process of starting my stack and was wondering what you guys thought of a diversified stack. I have my westminister mint 1 Oz bar and have 2 OPM 1oz bars and 1 Oz round on its way. I am thinking of getting maybe a silver eagle or a 1 Oz buffalo round next at my local bullion dealer. I am also interested in thoughts of getting some silver dimes or quarters.

Thanks and happy stacking

2. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Since you are in the USA I would definitely say get the silver quarters if you can get them cheap enough. I would lean towards Quarters and Halves though, dimes are a bit too small for my liking.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the forum Cajun.

Some stackers like diversification, others don't. I'm more in the "I like it" camp but I limit my diversification.

What you buy really depends on what price you can get it for. Keep in mind that silver U.S. quarters and dimes are 90% silver.

My opinion is, if you are interested in coins just for the silver content only, then you are probably going to be paying too much no matter what coin you buy. I think you can always get a better price (lower premiums) on generic silver blobs rather than coins when you buy from a dealer or LCS. That's not to say that if the rare opportunity arises where you can get silver coins for a steal (a price as low as a generic blob), then by all means go for it.

Some of my first silver purchases were US junk silver but I think I got over that particular phase.

4. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

Well I really like it all but I'm not sure what a fair price for 90% silver is. Let's say spot was $17 and I went in to buy a junk quarter what would be fair price?

5. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Why stack junk when you can stack new? "Who Dat" from Australia :)

6. Berniemac

Berniemac New Member

Don't stress too much, this forum allows you to trade pretty easily as your stack grows and you get a better idea of how you want it to go.

7. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

I use this site to calculate spot value of world coins, this is the US link

http://www.australian-threepence.com/silver-calculator/united-states-silver-coin-values/

So at time of posting spot on a 90% quarter is US$3.07. You would want as close to spot as possible, I think you may be able to find them at about $3.50 (14x face, so halves would run you $7).

Take this with a grain of salt, my experience with buying US coins is very limited. You may well find them at spot or 13x face, and some places may be asking plenty more)

8. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys!

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

A number of websites have melt values. For example here is for U.S. coins: http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

10. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

Well I'm a poor college student and I'd like to buy silver every two weeks even if I could only afford a couple of quaters or dimes. I do like the new bars and rounds alot just not sure if everything I buy will be new. My father and grandfather both collected silver. My grandfather now gives his silver pieces to his great grandchildren. I just think some junk silver is cool to have.

whodat!

11. smaugshoard

smaugshoard New Member

Top concern is to buy something that you like. You will hold onto it longer if you actually enjoy it.

What I did when starting out was get a little bit of everything and then I focused on American Eagles and Scottsdale rounds for stacking (I pick based on premium that day). I still purchase many other silver coins for collecting but due to the large premium I see them differently. I focused because its easier for me to sell those items, which I do sometimes.

I think getting some junk silver to give to kiddos is a great idea. You can shine them up without worrying about hurting numismatic value and they can feel like they have a bag of treasure.

12. Sonic

Sonic New Member

If you're interested in the history or would like to make it more of a "collection" (even though the bottom line is silver) do what I'm working on and buy one ASE for each year they've been in production. I'm working backwards from now (2015 en route and a few 2014s purchased before coming up with this idea lol) it gives me a small goal to work towards and kind of makes it more of a game. When I hit 1986 hopefully I'll have another plan or short goal to work towards by then :p

13. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

[​IMG]

my stack has arrived

14. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

I will post a better picture later I was in a bit of a rush. It is 3 1 Oz bars 1 1 ounce round. 10 1 gram bars along with 20 5 grain bars.

15. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Are you stacking silver or plastic packaging ?

don't bother with all those tiny silver fractionals - you would be paying huge premiums for little metal.
    for silver stick to 1oz coins with reasonable premiums - silver eagles, maples, perth mint kooks, koalas, lunars etc - can get plenty of diversity that way

small fractionals only make sense for gold (e.g.: 1/10 and 1/20 oz)

16. CajunStacker

CajunStacker New Member

That happened before I did my research lol. I know now. Thank you for the advice though!