We Got totally cleaned out whilst away O/S

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Kawa, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

Seems to me that some liberal usage of chemical booby traps in the safe would be good. Like dye bombs or silver nitrate sprays.

Luckily for me I keep my big stuff in a commercial vault. I only have a few oddities at home.

I hope the police really put some effort into this. It reeks of some sort of organisation though the amounts they are stealing won't make anyone rich. It seems clear that it is someone watching this forum who maybe sells things and gets people's home addresses.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Easier would be to run a parallel security system, well disguise, on battery backup that uses the mobile phone system for offsite image storge.

3. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

A comment from a police officer that a colleague has worked with was to the effect that most crims tend to be really dumb and up from there.
    Following that idea, definitely photos and serial numbers to as many as you can and it might be that between us we can get them.
    A local fellow had his stamp collection nicked (about $80k, 20 or so years ago) and it was located not many weeks later in Melbourne, across state borders and a goodly distance off. If it could work so quickly then in 'pre-internet days' it would be nice to think collectively we can do better now.

Absolutely all the best in recovering what you can.

I like to think that my best defence is that I live in one of the dumpiest houses (on the outside at least) in a very unlikely neighbourhood (probably more like to spawn thieves rather than targets).

4. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bloody hell that is crazy, I have to admit I did not think these were linked before but I have to say I think they definetly are. I had an attempted break in 3 nights ago. I went out at 7 and was home by 11. Woke up the next morning and saw someone had tried to make entry through a window. I did not hear anything so I am assuming it occurred while I was out.

I put it down to kids, I had the mower, push bike , fishing gear and a lot of other stuff on the back verandah and none of it went.

I admit I had a fair bit of stuff here (which has all been moved) this is getting to the point of being ridiculous.

If they have disabled a security system an cut phone lines it is not kids or a random breakin where they have come back. It sounds like professional thieves and more than one of them. Surely the police have a list of usual suspects who they have on file?

This is getting out of hand.

5. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

If you speak to the police again I would absolutely mention the other qld break ins involving bullion we know about here.

6. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Reading the posts, jackhammer used? If they used a jackhammer they would have done it during the day. Anyone using a jackhammer at 2am is going to have a lot of pissed off neighbours knocking on your door yelling and cursing in reference to the noise. During the day people would put it down to tradies and take no notice.

7. 3161fergo

3161fergo New Member Silver Stacker

Terrible news Kawa, so sorry for what you and yours are going through, there can be no doubt this is a organised gang who need to be caught and dealt with.
    I've lost count of the number of newbies I've told to think security AT ALL TIMES, not to give personal details,including phone numbers, email address' etc, out to anyone, never keep your stack on site and only do F2F with members who are well known and trusted on the forum and now I believe this too may be a thing of the past.
    In Brisbane I highly recommend "The Reserve Vault" for your storage needs, they are very obliging and you can even insure your stack with them, if you want to.

8. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I imagine with all the money the government has spent on surveillance, that it should be easier for the authorities to track down these crooks than in the past.

If you live in highly populated area, there are likely to be many cameras recording constantly.

If you live in a lowly populated area, it should be easier to narrow the search of vehicle registrations and mobile numbers.

i) Using the metadata from the phone companies, look for any unusual cell phone numbers in your local area during the time of the robbery.
    ii) Do a lookup on the local traffic cameras in the local areas (red light cameras, speed cameras, highway cams, toll cams, etc) for vans or utes that could be used to commit the crime.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry to hear about this, the feeling of having your home violated can be worse than the dollar loss.

It seems you did everything right regarding security, if someone really wants to steal your stuff you can only do so much to protect it.

Storing valuables offsite may work for some people but if you are actively trading or have jewelry that you wear often then this is not convenient, to say nothing of the additional costs involved and the risk of not being able to access your stack when you want it.

In addition to these break-ins I am aware of three coin club members who have also been the targets of very particular thieves over the past year, leaving other valuables and taking only the precious metals. All in the Brisbane area.

We are in North Brisbane so I will keep an eye out for them and see if anything gets offered to our coin club members.

10. fosinator

fosinator Member

Sorry to hear, very unfortunate.
    I too am wondering about the bleach thing?

11. PM

PM Active Member Silver Stacker

Bye Bye DNA I think.

12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When I read it, it made me think of this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AnDTLGs98k[/youtube]

13. MrLeprechaun

MrLeprechaun Member

Sincerest condolences to you. This is horrible news. As others have said I hope the authorities catch the low lifes.

14. ytrader

ytrader Member

Sorry to hear your losses OP.

just wondering if bullions are covered by home contents insurance?

15. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

I'm sorry to hear all that. Are you guys in australia allows to own firearms in your houses in case of a break in while you are at home?

16. ytrader

ytrader Member

nop, u'll need a firearm license to buy one. even then, if u shot someone during a break in, u'll be liable for the injuries caused to the other party (unless its for self-defence)

17. ytrader

ytrader Member

thanks Baron, so its not worth considering then... :/

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, poor advice - shoot someone in your own home in Australia under any circumstance, expect charges against you.

19. No1joey

No1joey Member Silver Stacker

NO! This isn't the wild west.

20. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not to mention that guns are right up there with bullion as "stuff worth breaking into a house for".