Copper hits fresh lows, a buying opportunity?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by phrenzy, Jan 11, 2015.

1. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Copper is at a 5+ year low, mostly on dollar strength and concerns over a slow down in China...anyone have an opinion on whether this is a buying opportunity?
    Even if it's just a short term play waiting for an announcement on Chinese stimulus?

Is anyone here in copper at the moment? Anything to know in particular that would make investing in copper any different to PMs besides the volumes involved? I was thinking about the copper ETF but are there any advantages to physical?

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

Premiums on copper bullion will kill you, best bet is play an etf or stack 1 and 2 cent coins.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought that to make it worth while you'd need several tons of industrial ingots, and then storage becomes a bit of an issue.

4. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I know buying those silly 1oz rounds or even kilo bars don't make much sense but what about proper large 100 kg wire bars? Or scrap copper from a dealer?

The copper to silver ratio is about 100:1 so about 500kg would be around $3000 plus premium. Not super convenient but not impossible if you have someone with a ute to move it for you.your probably looking at a 1m cubed area.

I think an ETF is the simpler and more obvious solution though. I'm trying to figure out if I should you surg copper or palladium...decisions decisions.

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrEBplR6AYo[/youtube]

4:08 - 4:36

I wouldn't bother holding physical copper. It's not necessary and is impractical

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Makes stealing them tricky too! :)