Anybody collect "consumer brand" silver bars/rounds?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gatito Bandito, Jan 7, 2015.

1. rastatodd

rastatodd New Member

If I knew about the silver bar back in 1980 I would have purchased the car. Course I was only 17 at the time. I was into US muscle cars, mine was a 1979 Camaro Z-28.

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    grumble mumble
    I'll go get the merc round in the next few days for you ;)

3. rastatodd

rastatodd New Member

I purchased this round at a local auction back in April of 2012 when spot was $31.00 I got it at the drop of the gavel for $26.15. One ounce of silver for 15% less than melt. I'll take that. Came with a COA and was housed in a felt flip with the word "CAMEL" embossed on it. Still have it and I have road the roller coaster to 16 and some change. That is how my luck is.

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Yeah, it's a felt flip. Was going by memory & thought it was a clam-shell, for some reason.

Still, cig smoke smell has a way of getting embedded into all kinds of plastics & paper. Though perhaps keeping the flip & COA stored in an enclosed container with some (separated) baking soda for a while might do the trick.

$26 USD isn't a bad price even today. Sold listings on eBay the past few months are ranging anywhere from $20 to $50, I suppose depending on the condition & the buyer.

I've considered picking up all 3 varieties for a while now. Maybe someday, if the condition & price are right.

Never looked into it, but curious of the mintages.