ENOUGH!! Mints need to stop packaging small coins in huge boxes

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Jan 6, 2015.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I dont like anything in a box, case or carded! total waste of space.

I only have one thing in a box/case and thats an old perth mint 1oz silver medallion. I think i am going to chuck the box to that and put it in a cap.

I avoid buying things in presentation boxes coins or anything! Good for stamp collectors while they watch there mini train set go round and round.

Totally useless odd size boxes and cases with stupid cardboard outer sleeves that are treasured more by some than the coin inside lol

2. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

They should make a silver coin presented in a box made out of silver.

3. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

those big boxed coins are for collectors(to look at some times) and not for stackers ;)

4. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Folks in this thread should love RM's 100 for 100 or 20 for 20 and RCM's products as they usually only have a maroon clamshell case for the coins. I do agree some of the packaging (especially from NZMint) is a bit over the top

5. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

100 of these, 10 of those, etc etc.

soon enuf you need another store house to keep them for termites :(

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Or, go ahead & buy them -- and simply toss the packaging. Perhaps even sell it empty for a few bucks.

7. xaar

xaar New Member

yes i agree with you it's like for sim card

[​IMG]

8. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

The Ra Proof Coins (just saw the ones for sale on here) seem to have it about right.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

At least the coconut box is very creative and novel, but oversized plain old squarish boxes are such a waste.

10. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Strar Trek packaging is literally a shitty toy. A light comes on to simulate Kirk teleporting FFS.

[​IMG]

11. SpacePete

From now on, coin boxes will require batteries #^}*{#*%^

12. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

they need the whiz bang stuff in order to sell. The coin would not sell by itself. remember, lots of folks buy the slab and not the coin, when it should be, you buy the coin and not the slab. Same goes for packaging. This is why I stick with my chinese medals and coins for collecting...because they know what is important...it's the coin 'stupid.' :)) And for my stack? Love my perth mint kooks and lunars.

13. SpacePete

Packaging for the first coin in the Battlestar Galactica Twelve Colonies series:

[​IMG]

14. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't buy so much coins any more or they don't have boxes so I don't care much.

Many years ago when I was still young I was buying computer games. I remember the feeling you had when mailman brought you package. A little bit too big box, CD and big instruction manual. Sometimes even t-shirt, music CD, etc. Today this is usually only part of the collectors edition. Games they are selling today (I don't buy them basically any more) come in thin DVD boxes, with thing paper content. Just lacking all the "old feeling".
    I understand this is also maybe a little bit more ecological or well at least more economical, as before you got paper box and today plastic DVD box.

For me it's quite "shameful" that until recently Tiffany art coins were without boxes. Some nice box would always come nice a long. Not needed to be to big.
    I don't want to pay big amount of money for the coin and then hope that seller will wrap it good enough and not try to squeeze extra money out of me for shipping costs.

I know that for most of my (colored) coins I had I wouldn't care if they come packed or not, but for more expensive ones I prefer to have box. It's more annoying for storage, that I agree, but still you can throw package away or use it in kitchen or something.

I'm quite big fan of Carhartt company. Mainly due to the quality of the stuff I bought from them. I bought a wallet which came in nice metallic box.

To cut the long story short. Some mints put additional effort into make boxes, that go well together with the coin, to make the "whole" story. Even if they pack them in generic boxes I would prefer that, that I know that they will be send at least with some protection. Well if additional package mean sacrificing coin quality, I would then prefer later. :)