Silvertowne Bar Numbering

Discussion in 'Silver' started by nbboy1123, Dec 26, 2014.

1. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

I just bought my first bar that's big enough to be stamped with a number. My question is if anyone knows how they generate these numbers and do they ever duplicate? I just like having a number in case someone jacks my stack, I got at least numbers for the police to help track them. Thanks for any info on this subject!

2. Orbit

Orbit New Member

They don't duplicate, that's the point of it.. Write down the numbers some place safe.

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They're either stamped on (like those old rubber date stamps) or laser etched.

They'd never duplicate because that's the whole point of a serial number, it's unique to that bar/product. AFAIK, only fakes would ever have the same serial. As it's Silvertowne, I'd Google the brand + number just in case.

4. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

Thanks House. Well I only buy direct from Silvertowne, I won't risk saving a few cents on Free bay to get a fake. :) now if someone in the post office is switching out fakes....then I think everyone would have a problem! :)

5. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Just don't place pics of your bar on the web, or you may see it back on ebay somewhere. Some people are too lazy, or lack to equipment to make a picture, so they grab one from the web. I once found a local ebay auction for a coin with a certificate, and in the same search results it showed another ebay auction in australia, certificate same serial number. It turnt out that both had copied the pic from the web.

6. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

Hahaha! That is lazy! I'm surprised they just didn't copy the stock footage one from the mint! Yeah, I don't intend on sharing that number anywhere but in my personal logs. :)