APMEX Gods of Olympus style 'EXODUS' coin revealed

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Dec 16, 2014.

1. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

2. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Article updated with all the new images. It's $179.99

3. silvermed

silvermed New Member

You gotta add that video too!

4. silvermed

silvermed New Member

I am one to be very critical of collectible coins, but do occasionally pick up ones that interest me.

At first glance it's a cool coin, but after really staring at the coin for a long time this is some work of art. For some, the Bible theme will be of no interest but for people like me, it's exciting.

5. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

I'm monitoring this release closely, so far I'm not impressed. The design elements are all so . . . distant. They would have been much better off showing Moses from behind on a cliff with the parted sea before him to at least show one of the figures in some detail. Some of the figures at the bottom center of the coin seem distorted, like the horses. I also think the initial price is too high, but who knows, maybe people will jump on the bandwagon if subsequent coins in the series turn out better.

6. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Video in.

A little concerned that it's a 60-coin series. Ten per year for a decade is a huge commitment, and the set will, like most things, derive a lot of its value from its completeness

7. silvermed

silvermed New Member

Says Coin is inspired by Gustav Dore who engraved this scene into wood. Here is the picture [​IMG]
    Source:

The guy did work in the 1800's so new spin with it being in metal.

8. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Not sure I can hang in there for 10 years at nearly $200 each for 60 coins. But first coin in a new series, 1499 limited mintage, number etched on the coin, attractive finish? Yeah, I'm in for one!

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

Those who are in the U.S. and want to buy this one, now APMEX has free shipping offer.

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I really like the Gustav original. But even ignoring the price differential, I prefer the prospector round to Exodus.

11. lostwords

lostwords New Member

If I have to choose between this or the lunar skull proof, I'll pick this any day....

12. storesilver

storesilver New Member

I picked up two of these. I'm hopeful that it experiences the "first coin craze" and I can partially subsidize my keeper coin. Like other posters I think it stands to be a little overwhelming that there are 60 in total but the ATB series doesn't seem to be fading yet and those are similarly priced (P versions)--I do however think these are exponentially cooler looking than the ATBs. And these have a heck of a lot lower mintage. I'll try to follow and collect the series as I love the theme; I'm eager to see future designs and what events they pick. I don't think the Exodus design was a homerun for them, but the potential is there for improved and more impressive depictions. I'm not sure that I'll double up on every coin but the first few might be worth the gamble.

13. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

So why the mintage of 1499? Is that because it is one less than each of the PM Gods of Olympus coins? If you watch the video, they flash through a lot of images in the same basic style. Could very well be a preview of the future coins? Was wondering if maybe Scottsdale was selling these on their own site but I get a message that it is down for maintenance. When I got my coin earlier today, the total on hand was 631. Just checked and it was at 624. I know that they play with the stock numbers but it does not seem to be flying off the shelf. Still if it starts to drop quickly I may grab another as a keeper and flip the first one. With a series lasting 10 years, hard to tell the best time to flip.

14. robertc400

robertc400 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can you get these in Australia?

15. jackburton

jackburton New Member

since the "artisans" have hand embellished these coins would they be prohibited from NGC grading?

16. MasterID

MasterID Member

10 per year over 10 years is 100 coins! Is it 6 per year over 10 years?
    ATB stop at 56, this at 60. :eek:

17. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

So far I've been VERY underwhelmed by pretty much every aspect of this coin. It will be interesting to see if APMEX ends up lowering the price. They don't seem to be exactly flying off the shelves, and I know several people who have cancelled their orders upon closer examination of the coin, packaging, series details etc. Very poor attempt at a Gods of Olympic knock off in my opinion.

18. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yeah, I can't even see the details of the coin. just a bunch of mumbo jumbo. if there was more clarity, and finer detail, perhaps I'd be interested. :(

19. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I agree that this image was not a good choice for the first release but it's pretty obvious they were going for a boost from the movie. As far as initial sales, I got mine when the site showed 600 or so available on the second day I think, it now shows 293 after a week. It will be interesting to watch to see if it really goes to zero or this is just the first batch and others have been held back. The potential is there but we will have to see if the images improve. Clearly not the response the PM series got, selling out in a couple hours. But if it catches on down the road a bit, the first coin will be the one to own. I figure with only one it is a reasonable risk to take. If they were to lower the price, I think it would be game over for the series or they could be trying to feel out what the market will accept. They clearly have a lot invested in it's success so they may be fairly comfortable with sales so far.

20. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I received two of these just before Christmas and sent them both back to APMEX today. The packaging is good and the coins look good. I believe that this was a bad choice for the first coin and have to believe that future images will look much nicer if they are simpler, but decided I don't want to take a chance on it. The coin number is printed on the edge of the coin, one was right in the center like in the pictures. The number for the other coin was down very near the edge of the coin. A bit more and it would not have been readable. Don't like the idea of those numbers being all over the place, an issue of quality control to me. And lastly, I watched the quantity very carefully for about a week. Number would slowly go down and then suddenly pop back up by 20 or 30. Are those returns or is APMEX slowly feeding more back on the shelf? This might be one of those times when I look back and see I should have held these but for now, holiday bills need paid and the above things caused me too much concern for this series.