one hundred bucks

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by copperhead, Dec 11, 2014.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I have been stacking as a focus journey for 4 years , I have twice needed a few bucks in the last 3 years and traded in some
    & considering the lower prices lately it was not so bad. aside from a theft of 20 or so ounces I keep stacking and it is an accomplishment .
    at the very least I know it's a better thing to do with fiat currency then many other ways to spend . I plan to start buying bonds each week
    I figure $25 per week , & push hard as long as silver delivers 5 OZ for less then $100 . Even I am not sure silver wont go crazy low for a touch .

So here goes the wish question 10 years out 15 years out - a new generation of youth - innocent hopefuls - could silver
    hit $75 ?

2. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

As "could" implies a chance, however small, the answer is yes. To keep it in perspective, it could do a lot of things. In another thread I cryptically tipped a price near that in a time less than that, but I'm not sure how serious I am.

3. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Aren't all of us stacking partly because we think silver might be $75+ some day? If I thought it would only get back to $40 I wouldn't bother. I could probably find better ways to hedge my fiat.

4. wwolfe

wwolfe New Member

With inflation its all but a guarantee silver will hit $75. When is the question. 50 years, 10 years 1 year? It will take more than 10 years in my opinion.

5. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Last big spike was in the 1980s right? So maybe 25-30 years is how long it takes people to forget how much they lost buying in at the $45+ level?

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

last big spike was to $50 3 years ago..

7. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why? Serious question.

8. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Wile silver is a big interest for me . Bonds seem attractive also , first I have faith in the USA and possibly Israel
    I am not so concerned of earning less or 3% 2% 4% for me to just do it is key .
    Have a nest egg from small amts of money that otherwise might be spent on a X box game - ( I don't play X Box )
    It has become clear my diligence of buying silver 4 years ago weekly regardless of purchase price has worked
    I have a stack that your average person wont buy all at once with out some thought of do I want to spend all that today.

So why not push for bonds , they will be worth more then $25 , fast enough , you can cash them out after 1 year no penalty
    from what I have been told a $25 bond in 7 or 8 years is worth $50 ( unless members can shed lite on the subject.)
    I can also put them in my kids name for the future . I will still push on with silver any way

I realize there will always be a better avenue to save money But in my situation ANY savings event I do is worth
    having a shot of celebration whiskey over . A customer gave me a Yukon jack holiday gift 2 shot glasses and a small bottle
    just for the record I like a shot once in a wile but I really don't indulge much as I like a clear head .

9. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do my eyes deceive me??
    Is this a troll thread ?
    You sly dog :)

Not to mention the morality of it

10. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Troll Na - I am a confirmed stacker . Could some one tell me if Bonds are a NoGo . We gotta have a little faith
    in the governments of our respective countries .
    morality has 2 sides to issues

11. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

IMO, backing US and Israel via bonds is not a good idea. I'm not in the bond market, but if I was, I'd look at the renminbi. All depends on your timeframe though, I'm looking mid-long term.

12. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

yes from the 80s until then, so the next one might have a similar gap in years between them

13. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

14. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With the globe tottering on an impending deflationary/inflationary event, it may be wise to renovate your thinking on this.

15. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

^^^^
    This. Even with a rate rise any interest earning instrument is going to be struggling to give you back a ppp profit nowadays. Also, it's nice to be patriotic but if your buying T bonds for the long term you have to know that at some point they are going to either dilute the currency and inflate to repay the lot or default. I suppose you could hope for some half way situation where they default on foreign debt and keep paying to domestic holders but I would be wary of tying my future to the ability of the USG to pay it's bills. If the low profit margins don't throw you, you might look at T bills instead that pay out in a year or less and take any money gleaned at maturity and making a decision every year or so if this is the best investment for you.

As for $70 silver I didn't buy expecting that but I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't at the back of my mind as possible. Frankly $35 silver would be a pleasant win for me (as long as $35 still buys a decent meal at a restaurant or a couple movie tickets and popcorn).

You've made the most important decision though, one I wish I'd taken sooner, which is to save and think about your future. It makes me sick to think of all the silver I could have had for the money I spent on credit card interest. You've made a good start, as long as you stay curious and keep learning in sure you'll get into all sorts of things and eventually find a few things that work well for you.

16. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Which financial product do you intend to use to purchase bonds for $25?

While I only have general knowledge in the bond market, as far as I'm aware most sovereign bonds have a minimum $50,000 investment requirement. You can't even buy into a bond ETF or a managed fund with $25? At best you could trade e minis

17. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

phrenzy
    Now I see yes there was :
    The perfect time
    Not to late yet
    I'm gonna be sick - MIGHT be to late
    To late
    Hopeless
    for investing

gonna be sick -
    is OK , as long as we can work & live a long life
    could something as simple as saving silver
    enhance the will to live ? The antibacterial effect
    of silver might be healthy, handle daily I say.

Caput Lupinum
    thanks for the humbling info .

18. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I have $25 per pay check taken out and I purchase savings bonds with it. I mostly buy I bonds with a few EE bonds mixed in. The return isn't great, just a little better than a savings account but I like the security of them. I have a little more faith in the US government to repay its bills than other folks here. :)