Which silver coins get counterfeited most often?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 1oz999, Dec 7, 2014.

1. 1oz999

1oz999 New Member

I've found a lot on the web about fake Eagles and Maples, but nothing about Philharmonics so far. What's your experience?

2. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Buffalo rounds seem to be the biggest fakes on ebay without seller admitting they are clad.

Some of the other fakes at least say they are clad in the description, looks like quite a few SBSS fakes at the moment as well unless multiple sellers with same feedback score are listing them all at the same time with very low starts, mainly the cannabis.

I think the Pm Stock Horse will be next with no mention of Clad.

3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

So many coins, rounds and bars have Chinese plated knockoffs of them floating around these days that it's impossible to keep track of which plated crap is the most common. IMO, you're playing PM Russian Roulette these days if you don't limit your buying to people, regularly returning show vendors and LCS's that you know and established, respected online vendors. DYODD.

4. short_stack

short_stack Member

5. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

On ebay i see the 2000 kookaburra counterfeit of silverplated coins a lot and the copies are really good made, i never buy a single one of this coin on ebay, chance is getting to big it's a fake

6. bossharp

bossharp New Member

When I bought my ASE's I felt comfortable with a mint sealed MB from a major dealer. .But if I buy on eBay I'll only get 90% coins. After seeing how easy it is to buy fakes and just how good they can be there's no reason to take a chance. ..

7. darkclark

darkclark New Member

I notice the link to the philharmonic doesn't indicate that its a copy seems to be indicating that its 1oz silver. most alibaba sites iv looked at at least state somewhere in small print that coins are clad or replicas or something, the only reason im bringing this up is that it would give somebody trying to move them on through ebay an excuse if challenged on whether they were aware they were selling dud coins

8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Alibaba and Aliexpress offer plated crap knockoffs of 90% junk silver, too. Buying 90% junk via Ebay is no safer than buying anything else there. You can use a mineral tumbler or an ammo reloader's brass cleaning drum to give coins a circulated look with surprisingly little time, effort and expense, so even "circulated" 90% junk on Ebay isn't safe. Besides---a decent LCS will almost always have better prices on 90% junk than you can find on Ebay.

As for the Philharmonics not being specifically described as plated... You can bet your life they're plated. The fact that anybody would even think of using the Phils not being specifically described as plated as an excuse to sell that crap on Ebay is a perfect example of why buying bullion on Ebay is generally an unsafe, bad idea. You may be OK with a vendor who has many thousands of feedbacks at a 99.9% satisfactory level but buying from smaller, newer vendors or vendors with low sat feedback ratios is like running blindfolded through a minefield. DYODD.

9. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

good thing that ebay lose out and in the end closed down. just like mc donald selling junk foods get the skip a meal thing. :)

10. wwolfe

wwolfe New Member

I bought a 1893S Morgan Dollar on ebay few months back that was a fake. Took a while, and had to show proof, but ebay did refund my money and I returned the coin. Just hope the seller doesnt try to sell it as real again.

11. darkclark

darkclark New Member

basically im not buying anything on ebay anymore problem is if everybody feels same then whole market for pm will suffer. there has to be a better way of authenticating coins before you buy them cause theres just so much crap floating about. I know sellers with good feedback should in theory be safe but if they don't have proper testing equipment then they are just as open to fraud as the rest of us.

12. natsmezz

natsmezz Member

If looking for numi coins you could purchase coins in graded holders - but even the holders themselves get counterfeited now. I'd say the Morgan Dollar might be the top faked coin out there - some of the faked key date Morgans look really good nowadays.

13. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Pandas, Kooks must be high on the list.

I'd vote for Pandas. You can find fakes in all sizes, all shapes, all editions. Even variations on the same theme - if there's a Panda on it, it's not necessarily a fake or replica.

14. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Who actually has any good fake kooks and Koalas? Who cant actually tell the difference?

I held a fake 1oz $100 2011 gold kanga the other day and it immediately looked fake plus it was drastically under weight to the feel, even people who have never seen a real gold coin knew it was fake even though the mint design stamping was pretty good!

All the fake Kooks i have seen on ebay are obvious fakes to the eye on a digital picture let alone close up in hand or they are clad "announced" in description to stop obvious disappointment on arrival.

Non changing designs give an opportunity to perfect a fake in my opinion.

What Kooks and Koalas would be worthwhile making a perfect fake of when its easier to fake a non changing design ?

The stock horse is being offered on here for $90 each and well over $100 on ebay, thats why my money is on that bullion coin to be the one to watch out for regarding Perth mint design silver fakes in the near future.

15. quarterounce

quarterounce New Member

What about 1/2 oz coins though? Like 50 cent koalas. The crooks must have less motivation to fake these.

16. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I really want one of these!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_6XbbuDc9U[/youtube]

17. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Wow that impressive, everyone needs one of those.

18. quarterounce

quarterounce New Member

Kinda stupid question, but can we somehow test coins measuring electrical resistivity with a multimeter?