Requesting advice about this 1999 1 Oz Silver Panda....

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silentMove1, Nov 25, 2014.

1. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

Dear Panda Forum Users,

I am negotiating with a merchant about a 1999 1 Oz Silver Panda LARGE Date, and this is the image he sent...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I notice scratching and a black dot on the panda side, but merchant has a good reputation and comments that the coin is in good condition and coin has never been rubbed, hit nor has been mismanaged, black dot is a camera issue and does not pertain to the coin... But clearly the images speak for themselves and its cause of concern.

I would appreciate any advice that could be given to me being a newbie collector Panda silver coins building up a small collection for myself starting this year and this forum has been my compass. My main questions are... Is this a real 1999 Silver Panda Large Date? Would you buy it and if so, how much would you pay for it? What is the price of this coin in the market?

Thank you in advance!

2. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

No feedback :(

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

im no panda expert , but id be concerned about a few things
    mainly why no capsule
    it looks like its been handled
    dont care how good his rep is ,if thats the actual coin I wouldnt pay no more than $30 for it
    and his description of "in good condition" is a joke

4. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

Hey spannermonkey,
    I see the coin on Ebay listed at about $300 in MS69 condition.... this coin is nowhere near such condition but the fact that the coin could be authentic can definitely push the coin to at least $100.... but I am not sure, definitely more than $30 though... Still I appreciate your comment very much.

:)Thanks!!

5. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

1999 if no capsule at that time, it should hv the original mint package right? I understand people prefer old years Panda in slab or at least in original mint package due to high number of fakes.....
    Even if u don't mind for its nudity, would it be easy for u to sell in future?

6. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

TasmaniaChrismy,
    HA ha ha..., That is the million dollar question :)! The merchant is willing to sell for about $70.... I think it might be a good deal but I am not sure... it depends if I sell for higher in the future... :).

Into contemplating this coin for a day I will contemplate a little more.... I think its a beautiful coin that I hate to see any type of imperfections... my guess is that there are those who collect various types coins and not necessarily all must me in mint condition. At the end of the day... what's a right price for a coin like this if we check how the panda market is today?

Thanks for you comment!

7. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

The coins seems real to me

Based on the look of the coin - I'd not buy it. That's because I don't like imperfections such as shown above.
    Are there no other 1999 same coin available for sale?
    I'd personally wait, and camp it out till a better specimen arises, simply becuase I intend to keep it for years and I'd like a good coin for the collection.

I know price is a big factor, and if youre only collecting for the sake of collecting and dont care abt condition/ numi factor - then by all means buy.' Max $30-$40

8. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

If in doubt forget about it. A better one will come along. There are marks from cleaning on both sides of the coin.

9. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

Those are bad pics.
    I would ask for a closeup of the upper part of the panda side.
    Of the dot and where it looks cleaned with a brush or something.
    Also of the bamboo on the right. It looks like a leaf is missing.
    If genuine, not cleaned, and the dot not such a big deal, then $70 is OK, but it doesn't look that way from the pics.
    compare with this coin:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-10Y-Ch...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10. silentMove1

silentMove1 New Member

S. Ohno, I do not see the bamboo missing a leaf on the right as you have suggested and I've been observing it comparing it to the coin from your link for quite some minutes now and just don't see it, but the fact that you mention it that raises my doubts.... Half of my brain really thinks the coin is real and for $70 is well worth it.... NGC listing has this coin graded MS66 for $175 so I am really thinking about buying it. At the same time the other side of the brain is nowhere sure of about this coin.... and thus I have yet to decide purchasing it, that is until I investigate further. I will ask merchant to send better images in the meantime..... I will post them if merchant provides me with them.... Thank you all for your talking points!

11. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

You have to remember that, if it is cleaned, there will be no numeric grade, just UNC DETAILS.

The bamboo leaf is probably there, but you have to ask, why is it so hard to see? Coin been buried in sand?
    [​IMG]

12. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

The fur, the fur, the fur always gives the fakes away this one looks like Mr. Blobby blobby blobby!

Hope you didn't buy this coin. Very suspicious, feedback can be faked s ohnno makes a good case for the missing leaf.

Apart from being all naked (bad sign, can't even find a capsule??) even if it is genuine of which I have doubts it just doesn't LOOK the real deal. I have one and it positively hums. This looks as though it's been attacked with some sort of cleaner, the light rubs and fine lines give that away a big no no in numis.

Good luck getting better pics!

Steer well clear of this guy Silent, you're right a muuuch better example is what you should aim for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now THAT's a good looking coin! :D

13. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

the bear pictured at the top of this thread is sooooooooooooooooooooo fake hi Grizz:)

14. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Hello silentmove. If you are buying pandas for the future numismatic premiums. I will buy only ngc ms68 or 69 for the expensive years.
    You will avoid buy fakes until you know how recognize them.

15. kezza26

kezza26 Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi there, just my two cents worth.... Best BEWARE of this coin.
    Place both the coins above side by side and the obvious pops out. Missing a line of the bottom of the number 1 (1999) in Silents coin.
    [​IMG]

In saying this, if you look into this video displaying a panda collection (3.20 min being the 1999 coin) the line is missing from his coin also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qW2lEoWKNI&list=LLYC_CLV-l27_XgL9JrlXVng

Was there various mints that produced this 1999 coin?

16. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

Yes there are 3 variations
    Small date - Shanghai mint ( has serif )
    Large date - with serif ( Shenzhen Guobao mint )
    Large date - without serif ( Shenyang mint )