What type of silver have you chosen to stack and why?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by benejah, Nov 30, 2014.

1. banks kept their metals

banks kept their metals New Member

Since I live in Canada, my stack is 60% Silver Canadian Maples, 5% gold maple coins, 10% collector silver coins and since last year, I stick to lowest premium which are silver bars from the Canadian Mint, about 25% now.

I stack to have as much oz's as possible, but want to be able to sell them when the time comes, whether it's at a coin shop, or if SHTF, on the black market, or as a trade for other stuff. Larger bar to trade for larger stuff, smaller coins to trade for smaller stuff.

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As we stack silver as a fall back position as well as an investment and for enjoyment, it's best to get some perspective.

The more silver you have, the better off you are. Buy the most recognisable silver in your region. Ounces in ASEs in the U.S., Maples in Canada, Kooks in Australia etc. 10oz and kilo bars from your country of origin etc. if you like numis and semi numis, then only keep one of each for your enjoyment rather than a large quantity. Some traders do buy numis to sell and increase their stack, but that comes through experience and with an end game in mind.

The best strategy is to get a couple of thousand, recognisable ounces as quickly and cheaply as possible.

3. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

Curious what are everyones buying strategy...i know im accumulating silver as a buy and hold strategy but im not sure if overall it would be best for eg: i buy an ounce of silver once a week and once a month i buy a 10oz silver bar then a every 4mths i buy a 20oz silver bar and then once or twice a year i buy a 1 or 2 silver kilogram bars...or are most of you just buy what ever you can afford when you have the cash but seeing that im in for it for the next 25-30yrs im guessing it would be best that i do adopt some sort of buying strategy.

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

4. Silver Junkie

Silver Junkie New Member Silver Stacker

I buy unallocated every week, then when I have enough for what I like, I take the physical.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You probably need a selling strategy.

There's plenty of folk who buy but not many know how or when they will sell.

As a long-term investor you could buy coins that have the potential to bring you a numismatic gain.

Instead of buying a 10oz, 20oz and kilo bars that money might be better spent buying a range of selected bullion coins.

Perhaps have a look at the mintage details for the series 1 and 2 lunars (Gold and silver) plus the other bullion Kooks and Koala's and then check how those coins have done on ebay.

Some of the earlier series 1 and series 2 bullion coins are quite collectable and continue to provide good gains.

By only buying bars you might be narrowing potential gains because you are relying on the spot price and not much else.

Diversifying what you stack and how you will sell is very important imo. :)

6. GRETZKY427

This comment response has given me abit to think about. My selling strategy was to sell really when i had to but hold on as long as i could.

Suppose over time it wouldnt hurt to obtain some coins along the way :)

7. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I stack both bars and coins. I've had to sell most of my larger bars and always try to ensure that I can make a nice pyramid of my smaller bars.
    Re coins, tend to get whatever is cheap and what i enjoy but have concentrated on perth mint. I avoid numis but have got some select pieces that I will try not to sell.
    I love my stack of 5oz tigers, they look great.

8. rodmadman

rodmadman New Member

I stack no bigger than 5 oz. silver bars/rounds/coins. I fear that the government will change reporting for tax purposes.

9. nsw2206

nsw2206 Member

I don't think s/he's cutting them off, just keeping them small & perky..

10. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

I just stack what is good value on the day. Kooks (all weights), PM bars, 1/10 oz Au coins, generic Au bars plus all sorts in between. I do LOVE my collection of numi half sovs. This works for me as it is diverse and usually if someone wants something I may have it. I only sell to buy again - does that make me a stacking tragic?

11. serge83

serge83 Member

Those of you using the buy and hold strategy, do you really think silver is the best way to go for capital appreciation? How high do you forsee the price going? I like silver but you get no income from it unless you sell. Just a thought.

12. Naphthalene Man

I don't see it as a way to make lots of money. I only see it as a fun way to save cash in a manner that may appreciate in value and be sold when you need it.
    My recent sales didn't earn a profit, just the opposite but it was there when needed it.
    Maybe more practical and sensible to save in the bank but much less fun (although do that anyway).

13. Naphthalene Man

Based on your comments though... Are you a mole planted by the bankers to change our mindset?

14. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't see it as an investment, I see it as an alternative method of savings. You get negligible income from bank savings, but having money in the bank allows fractional lending to inflate the currency pool. I trust lumps of metal more than I trust banks or those they lend money to.

15. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I stack what I believe would be easy to sell. 10oz bars have a wider demographic than say 50 or 100oz bars.

16. serge83

serge83 Member

Haha far from it. I'm not really big on having cash in the bank as the interest paid on deposits is pitiful. I guess I'm looking for alternatives to doing just that and as such have started investing in silver myself. I just want the best bang for my buck. Personally I feel stacking is more of an insurance policy rather than a capital gain exercise, besides being nice to actually hold something physical. I'm no financial genius so I like to hear what others are doing to see if I can do things better myself.

17. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

As long as its silver all good. Started with just kg bars. Now hold all types. Best buy was a sterling silver water jug weighing a kg for 40 bucks in a second hand shop.

18. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If that ever happens you could just cut silver kilo bars like sliced bread. Why have a stack where you pay way above spot on the lot?

19. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I stack all the rare stuff. All the old poured stuff thats woth a lot more than the generic bars. Gee i have a lovely collection :D And if you ever se me selling stuff its because i have found something rarer

20. GRETZKY427

Unless im mistaken, i think he resides in the US.