$31 Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Stedlar, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Having recently purchased a fair bit lately, for me at least it is annoying to see this drop, yet in another way I feel content because my actual silver position is a lot stronger than where it was. So for me now while my costs may have been a little higher than I would have liked looking at the current prices and the future predictions. I do have some comfort in knowing that should it turn about quickly and head high I am well entrenched and do not need to buy.

As the saying goes you really can only loose at the moment if you purchased high and need some liquidity. The thing that is needed is faith or facts in the actual price rising in the future to realise some gains. The disappointing thing is that with the price falling I don't see it as I am loosing money, I see it as an opportunity missed that could have yielded more bang for my money.

And in the time it will take to get some more funds freed up I am sure that the prices would have risen again and so on... I am in the process of working through a new database so in about a week I should know my full position and if I still have my nose in front or if the stock value average is less than actual purchase cost outlay.

It is a little unnerving when I tell the Boss gee look at the price drop and she comments "Yeah not such a good investment then is it" damn you woman... I replied by saying "It is not a sprint but a marathon and we are still in the opening leg"

So I am going to wait it out put some fiat away and watch. When/If and does look more like "When" at the moment prices drop I can move forward with another bulk load and hopefully drop my average.

What I do see as potential trouble is for any dealers who purchased up large volumes around Xmas when stock was low how are they going to go because they need to sell to keep liquid (generally) this could put a squeeze on them.

2. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

You know what we should be doing...... Shorting the SLV and using our earnings to buy physical for As long as possible. Try to make fiat on the way down and the way up

We all believe in the fundamentals so keep buying the real stuff, however market being abit bearish so just play with the jp's for now while they calling the shots on the market

3. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its bearish because the large investors are shying away. They are waiting for the moment to pounce. I believe this would be late Feb.

Theres no point in them buying up big now because they will be taking JPM head on. Why not wait for a cheaper price and a more definitive date closer to delivery.

When the price is low enough and the buy signal comes through it will go straight up. I believe JPM will also reverse their trend and cover for some of the shorts.

Just buy on the dips at the moment.

Slam

4. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Yeah, 2008 was a bit harsh but I kept adding when I could and ended up no worrying about the lows. When it turned around I was not too fussed either but last years was a bit of a surprise with how much I was up. Still just add when I can though. It would be nice to be able to pick the bottoms and get your timing right but that would be just luck really. Just got to keep in mind what you think the overall trend is.

5. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

Yeh buy on the dip but why not set aside half of the money for some shorting on the slv, make some money by following the crooks and thieves till the feb period or whenever the buy signal is expected to come for the big investors. Means you can just buy more silver (physical) then

6. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Damn straight... they'll leave the heavy lifting to the smaller guys.

First you wear them down with your conscript cannon fodder, then send in your crack troops!

7. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Could it then be argued that at the moment, the price of gold is following silver?

Gold's movements in the past few days are very close to silver, yet JPM manipulation in the silver market has (or should have?) nothing to do with the gold price. If hedge funds are waiting till late Feb to get in on silver , so they can collect large cash premiums for NOT taking physical delivery .... what does this have to do with gold?

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Is there a good reference material about that you could recommend on how to do this ? I am so totally Green in this area it is embarrassing.

9. Clawhammer

Dunnoh, I've been watchin' that too...

But Silver has definately been getting the bigger spankin'
    [​IMG]
    Bad Baby, Bad Baby! :)

10. loki.verloren

loki.verloren New Member

you have to be confident that there will be a turn... sometimes upswings on heads and shoulders are very sharp, sometimes more curved, sometimes start sharp sometimes slow and gentle. the fundamentals are in favour of the uptrend but the time to buy is always in the first stages of the uptrend. either a distinct upwards trend turn or a sharp upward movement followed by a steady hover around a price range is how i call a 'dip' for a buy. the most reliable way to make money speculating on prices is getting the body between the bottoms and tops, minus the margin of uncertainty when the trend is turning and you are deciding whether it is or not.

11. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

In the buy/sell section, a lot of forum members selling their silver bars in the last day or so.

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gold @ $1335. As we had said, if it broke our resistant pt. of $1360, strong downside risk. Next danger pt. $1250. Long term: Gold $2000

http://twitter.com/geraldcelente

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Selling silver they bought cheaply and buying gold?

14. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

I wonder if Chinese New Year holidays commencing around 3rd of Feb will do much to the price... think they have a whole week off. Im sure the markets will be open but participation might be low. Im in Vietnam at the moment and they are pretty much full swing into it already, might be the same in China.

15. Clawhammer

By looking at the charts...gold's just taken a similar plunge to silver... looks like ..what..a 3 hour lag behind silver?

16. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

:D

17. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

Its a general term i guess ... what you need to do first is register with a forex trading site , many around , go here http://forextradingplatformreviews.com/ and pick which one suites. You gotta just read about forex trading really cause many of these forex trading platforms allow you to trade SLV and GLD which is gold and silver. Once your happy transfer 1000 bucks or something into your account and start your shorting...

When you "Short" SLV you are simply selling the SLV (silver) without buying it so you are basically selling silver you dont have (just like the banks). If it goes lower then what you short it at, you win and you collect. If not it will eat away at your money till what you have in your account is gone (if the market doesn't turn). So in essence you want silver to go down when your shorting. Its scary BUT if your confident that silver will continue to be smashed then this is the best way to capitalise.

Its just like riding the wave. If JP is shorting so someone can buy cheap why not go with the flow and short silver like them, if you make money of it, then buy some physical silver (for fundamental reasons). I have tried longing silver via this and i have made money and lost money (in the early days just to understand how it all works ) BUT in such a bear market for silver right now you can ride on the backs of all the crooks and thieves and make some money of it too.

Then on the way back up (whenever you feel that is , or if you made enough money shorting SLV) go to the store and order some physical :D

I think im about ready to step back in and transfer some money to short short short ..... just look at the bloody charts its like a shorters heaven .... not many large up swings as of late...

18. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

very informative pmstacker im learning by the minute nice to read it in laymans terms well done !

19. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

No prob, BUT remember the minute you step in and do this you are doing EXACTLY what the banks are doing, the only difference is, if the market starts to swing up , you will start to have cold sweats cause the platforms will start deducting money to make up the difference (remember you sold silver you didnt have so when the market starts to swing up, you need to BUY that silver at its now higher price and sell it at the lower price you said you would when you shorted it, the platform will deduct that money from your account automatically :/ .... ). This will keep happening until the market turns for the worst meaning you start making more money or until your position gets liquidated and you loose out (assuming you have no stopgaps) .... trust me its scary , just the charts ... all the way for 31 silver all the way down to 26 silver , specially from 28 down just looks like such a nice thing to short ... if people believe that silver will go to 25 then there is still some money to be made ...

But will it go to 25 .... argggghhhhhh.....

20. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Problem is you need to take a large position to profit big.

Your $1000 wont go far if you have taken a 5000 oz position. An upshot of 20c will gobble up your margin right there.

Not for me I'm afraid :)