Silver bar size suggestion

Discussion in 'Silver' started by nbboy1123, Nov 24, 2014.

1. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

I'm about to order my first big bar sizes (5 &10 oz) rather than one ounces for the sheer fact of the serial number. However, when I was thinking about storage I noticed that they have 1 ounce bar holders on eBay and nothing nice that I like for those bigger bars. Since I'm noticing that if you buy in bulk you can get 10 1 oz bars for the same cost as 1 10 oz bar; and the smaller bars seem to have higher premiums, I'm debating if I would better be suited in buying the 10 or 5 1 oz bars and being able to store them in a nice container with possible higher premiums during resale in the future. Any thoughts?

2. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

The containers are mainly for "fun" and "hobby" as most bars do not have much value beyond melt (some have huge value, i.e., 3 oz poured englehards). I really like the 10 ounce bars. My favorites are the JM, Englehards, Scottsdale, and any odd poured bar.

If you order a 100 oz bar, I would only order from major dealer like APMEX and keep the receipt.

Finally, 1 oz bars from silvertown and JM often already come in plastic packaging.

I collect as a hobby, not an investment, but really love the bars - even though they "quote" are not considered collectables by some.

I also prefer bars that have been beaten up a bit as it shows the history. This may reduce the value (certainly would most coins), but my favorite 10 ounce bar is an old JM that apparently some grandkid sold. It had distinct rubber band marks across the smooth back. I love it. My assumption is the grandpa had a few in his safe deposit box bound by rubber bands and each grandkid received one. IMO, I can't believe the kid sold the bar. However, this story may be completely wrong, but I am sticking to it as the reason for the rubber band marks!

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like it'll be more of a hobby for you as you want it all to be nice and pretty ;) If it's only 10oz you're buying then go for the 1oz with cases but if you think you'll be buying more, I'd go for 10oz bars as there's less mucking about with storage and extra cost for the cases etc

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Many new bars come in some sort of plastic packaging. Only issue is, some of that plastic might contain PVC, which is a no-no for Ag.

I usually don't mind toning, and I'm deathly afraid of PVC, so I take everything out of the plastic to be safe. Of course, that leaves a potential problem of getting scratches & dings on those new bars.

In which case: If you keep your bars in some sort of container, what you could do is lay down a layer of "naked" bars, then slap a piece of acrylic on top, then start your next layer. These sheets of acrylic, which is what coin capsules are made from, can be purchased in various sizes at hardware stores. They also sell special tools to score the sheets so you can cut a specific size.

Just one way to do it as you build up your stack.

Bars larger than 1-oz are pretty cool. Cast, poured, extruded, minted/pressed. It's all good.

There's nothing like holding a hunk of Ag in your bare hands. Just be mindful to hold minted/pressed bars by the edges, like you would a coin/round. Feel free to go crazy with the rest of the production types -- though I always wash my hands first, then wipe down any bar with a soft microfiber cloth afterwards.

Anyway, go for the larger sizes, if you want! Definitely worth it.

5. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

I prefer 10 oz minted bars. Nice and shiny. All of mine have come in a plastic sheath (non-pvc). I have a number of brands of bar in this format. Easy to stack and store and they look nice.

6. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I like 10 oz bars the most too... I have a couple of those jm with the serial numbers, which I really like and then I have a couple of cheap ones from silvertowne. But I do really like the 1 oz silvertowne bars with the prospector leading the donkey! Nice throw back to the old days! They come nicely sealed in plastic sheets too!

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just buy a Perth Mint 10oz Koala Bullion coin.

8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Time will answer your questions for you. The comedy of storing 1oz bars in individual capsules will become apparent to you if you get seriously into stacking silver bullion, as will the comedy of treating ordinary bullion silver bars as if they were rare, costly numismatic treasures.

Get a steel military surplus ammo box with a good gasket (to provide robust protection against atmospheric contaminants), wash the inside of it out well with warm water and dish detergent (to remove any gunpowder or solvent residues) and throw your silver bars into it. That's all silver bullion bars need.

Stick with 1oz bars until they come to seem silly to you, and then move into 10oz bars. If you stick with the 1oz bars long enough, you'll be able to build a fort with them for your Lego people.

9. mattw1978

mattw1978 New Member

I like 1oz bars over 5 or 10 oz because there cheaper and Easter to sell if only want to sell a little

10. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Why Easter??

11. Mirrorman

Mirrorman Member

I think it was just a typo Chip ..

12. Golden ChipMunk

Maybe should wait until Thanks giving day.

13. Yendor

Yendor Member

Isn't that why coins are often 1oz?

For <10oz I buy coins, and for >10oz bars. The capsules of the coins makes them a pain in the SDB - whereas I can just throw in about 5x 10oz bars in the same room as 20x 1oz coins.

14. Golden ChipMunk

1 oz Bars Stack em in the tube like this

[​IMG]

15. mattw1978

mattw1978 New Member

Sorry guys just a typo getting used to this new tablet

16. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker