In two months of hunting pre-65 quarters in cash registers I work with

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sonic, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Still nothing. I check about 100 quarters every day I work. Kind of disappointing. I guess they've all been swept up. I thought I'd at least find one every once in awhile. Maybe I'll start checking dimes? I don't ever do that. Do the banks check and do they do something with them if they find them, to keep them out of circulation? Or is it just from collectors accumulating them over such a long period of time? That's what I'm curious about.

But I did see an old (1969) $20 bill in pretty good shape. Looked it up on ebay and they're actually selling for about $30. Those that are selling for that are listed as "A series" and I don't know what that's about, so it might not be worth any more than face value.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are people who go to the banks, pick up boxes full of rolls of coins, take them home, go through the lot, re wrap the ones they don't want and then deposit them back at the bank.

You can see them on YouTube as well.

They also do it for copper cents, pre 82 I think.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Haven't seem so much as a silver dime since moving back here. Even in 2003 when I last lived here I think I received only 1 silver quarter in change that year.

Basically need to get lucky when some poor old dear deposits a bunch of change at the bank that's been sitting in the closet for 40 years.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Don't believe those youtube videos. I got $2000 of half dollar rolls and not a single pre 1970 half dollar. Waiters and waitresses loved them as tips, but dirty hands was my only reward.

5. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Since the 1980s I have been searching my pocket change for Wheat pennies (pre 1959), pre65 dimes, quarters, halves, nickels before 1967 (year I graduated high school - completely arbitrary).
    I recently went through them with a grandson.
    I have about 5 rolls of Wheaties (plus a few I bought at auction), about 50 nickels, two dimes, end of story.
    I lived in the sticks, not many coin roll hunters (CRH), but people just knew what I knew about silver in money.
    I kept all of the pre 1982 pennies from the last couple of years, have about 10 rolls of them.
    I am in a new region now, was thinking about picking up some rolls of halves, but it is suggested to get about $500 worth, and if I have that much spare fiat it will buy a tube of known quality.

6. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I found a 1964 nickel once and was like"YAY MY FIRST SILVER" only to then find the reality that nickels were not silver in 1964 :(

I do check all my change and bills though. I keep pre 82 pennies, some state and national park quarter and anything else that turns up. I search all my bills for unique serial numbers but have yet to find one

7. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I went into my college's bookstore and I met with the manager. On his desk was a mercury dime. I said wow cool check out that dime. He gave it to me. Said he found it in the register the night before and thought it was cool but didn't want it and was happy to give it to me. He knew it was worth a dollar or two but wasn't really worried about it. I offered to pay him for it but he insisted it was mine. Good guy.

They are still out there floating around, just not as common as they used to be.

8. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

That nickel is still worth 50 cents, average condition. I don't care who you are, that's a good return.
    The silver (35%) is in the war years, 1942-1945.
    http://coins.about.com/library/US-coin-values/bl-US0005-Jefferson-Nickels-1938-1964-Values.htm

Those old nickels just 'look nice'. I could usually spot them without even seeing the date.
    Some of the state quarters have collector value. After those quarters get well used, they just look junky. I got about 10 in uncirculated condition last week - a store ran out of ones at the register and gave me change in quarters just after she cracked the roll. 2007 and they look just beautiful. A well used one and they honestly look like play money.

~ ~ ~
    Oops, my bad. 50 cents for uncirculated, average condition is just face value.

9. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Yeah, nickel was too valuable for the war effort, so they used silver instead.
    There's a lesson in there somewhere.

10. Nabullion Dynamite

Oh snap! Better send it into NGC for grading :lol: Yeah they feel different then newer clad coins, thats how I found it, it felt different when I was putting money in the vending machine and kept it.

I know there has been threads before but anyone here stacking nickels....the melt value is creeping up on the face value!

11. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

I corrected my previous post on that nickel - still just face value.
    I checked melt value, and 10 nickels melt to 45 cents, so yes, creeping up.

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Careful buying the WWiI nickels. Smelter don't like items with low metal content. It's very likely that you won't get anywhere near the metal value when you sell.

13. Nabullion Dynamite

Yeah I avoid the silver WWII nickels for that reason. I was referring to current nickels with 25% nickel content. I know a while back they went to like .07 per nickel in nickel value.

14. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

I wouldn't buy any -pocket change, I would keep them.
    I can imagine smelters don't like them, but collectors, different story. They will pay melt value+, with no intentions of melting.
    Melt value is 94 cents, and collectors will gladly pay that.
    I checked my inventory - 47 total, 6 per-war, no war. Most common year - 1964.
    Four 1941(no mint mark), and as many 1946.
    Lots of war nickels minted, but they got pulled out of circulation.
    http://coinmintages.com/jefferson-nickels-mintage/

More 1943P than 1941(no mint mark), but I have none.

Pre-65 coins are worth more than melt value, because they are not owned with intent to melt.