Silver Stackers Santa trade idea

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by CFP, Nov 10, 2014.

1. CFP

CFP New Member

Hi all,
    I came up with an idea the other day for something different.
    Please feel free to discuss its merits and/or lack of...

Firstly before I go into this in great detail, there would be some ground rules.
    Only those who were in Australia could participate unless both parties involved agreed with international post.
    Our friends across the sea could organize their own based on this idea if they wished.
    All traders involved would need a minimum of at least 10 trades to prove that they are a trust worthy member of the community.

This idea would be discussed and hopefully evolve from there.

The basic idea is that I think we keep it to silver/numismatics only.

Someone posts what they are interested in and their budget ie that they don't want an item or
    to give away an item worth over $50 for example.
    Maximum value of any item is $100 but can be significantly lower.
    You have to give at least 3-5 suggestions so there is an element of "surprise" there.
    You can be as broad or as specific as you like so for example your request could be:
    Any 1 oz Armenian coin, 10 1/10 oz buffalos, a 2005 1 oz kookaburra, 2 2014 1/2 sharks,
    3 1927 florins. This person ^ is known as the SENDER.

Another person on the forum goes BINGO, I have 3 1 oz Armenian coins, I will offer one in
    return for one thing off the list I want (it the SENDER has any of these items).

They then offer a selection of items (3-5) that they are looking for in return for the item they are
    providing.

If a connection is made, the two then send the items without saying specifically what they are
    to the other person via registered post. Each will pay for their own.

I am more after people being able to give from their stack than going out and buying an item to send.

The maximum amount any item can be worth is $100 Aussie.

When sending a list to the person who wants one of the items you have, try to keep them within
    a similar value range and put the amount of the maximum item's value per oz or collectible coin/s under $100.
    The other party can then decide if this is correct and decide to deal or not, your valuation could also maybe help them
    gauge if they want to do business with you.
    The person must confirm that they have one of the items you are seeking
    before a trade is made. If you are offering a selection of items, you may also list what you have to
    trade but you must make sure it is at least 3-5 items and only one trade per person.

For example if I make a deal with 1for1, I cannot then make a deal with House. It is a Santa Christmas
    trade off with an element of surprise, not a swap meet. First in, best dressed.

I am hoping I got this right, I am tired and heading to bed. Hopefully it garners a lot of attention and encourages
    some discussion. Cheers.

2. tristanho

tristanho Member

Hey mate, ive got no clue on what this is after reading it once.

However, as a semi south aussie, count me in. If anything goes on, I will ship internationally from singapore and the other party ships to an australian address.

3. darkclark

darkclark New Member

sounds like a bit of fun count me in it can be my first trade lol

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Read the first few lines, saw there were many more so skipped to the comments. Count me in too :p

5. darkclark

darkclark New Member

yeah im still not completely clear myself but im sure we can all work it out eventually

6. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

As I understand it, there is a swap with each party only knowing the coin to be received is one off of a want list. Think of it as being each others not so Secret Santa.

No harm in SSers trying it.

7. CFP

CFP New Member

exactly Right DCCPA, it is still a bit of a surprise. Let me know if anyone is interested in this, must have over 10 trades to compete and be in Australia.
    So far I have three or four guys interested.

8. darkclark

darkclark New Member

so when do we start, obviously as an unknown member I would expect to post mine first before I receive anything back which is fine with me im hoping to start improving my trades profile anyway from now on.

9. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Be aware that there are many members, who are very reliable and trustworthy, that do not record their trades on this site.

10. CFP

CFP New Member

Alright I will work something out and post it up in the next couple days. Busy time at work atm

11. House

Hanging on these tenterhooks for so long is starting to get a bit uncomfortable... Any update?

12. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Why don't we just do a secret Santa? Otherwise it is a little like a targeted trade if your picking things off a list with someone.

How about:

1: Everyone puts their name down here or in a new secret Santa thread by say Sunday night if they want to participate. Sunday night someone puts all the names in a hat and pulls them out in pairs and posts the resulting pairs. (I could do this)

2: the pairs pm each other to swap postal details.

3: they each choose something in the spirit of silver stacking of roughly $50 value and send it to the person they've been given, sounds like a lot but when it comes to silver your getting what your giving back roughly. If they want to be particularly thoughtful they could look at the persons post history to find out what sort of things they like.

4: everyone receives presents!

Technically this is more like random Santa than secret Santa but I think it could still be fun.

13. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, sounds fun

14. wwolfe

wwolfe New Member

Too bad I'm in the US, sounds like fun. This forum seems to have way more people from Australia than the US.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

SS was founded in AU by Aussies. I believe the owners recently moved to the US, so US participation should increase. Before joining SS, I was slightly aware of kooks and lunars, but I doubt if I would have bought many of them without the information I learned from SS posts. To imitate Garrett Morris doing Chico Escuelo on Saturday Night Live, "Lunars been berry, berry good to me." :lol:

16. House

I wouldn't mind sending to the US if the favour is returned. So how any would be interested?

We need a few more than those that have posted on the thread to keep it interesting... I have a heap of random silver that I would happily swap out for more random silver

17. phrenzy

maybe a thread in the general silver section would do better? Numismatics isn't the most popular section here. If everyone likes the idea I'll pay something there tonight. Maybe extend the name in the hat day until Wednesday next week?

If people overseas list where they are or people anywhere list that they are willing to post internationally I can try and pair them up as best I can. As long as we have even numbers or someone willing to participate twice we should be able to cover everyone.

18. phrenzy

New thread in general silver section up.