Unity or diversity and other questions

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by nord, Nov 5, 2014.

1. nord

nord New Member

Hi all

Should I keep buying the same type of gold coin to make it easier to sell the lot as a single package of is it better to go for diversity? I'm currently buying Britannias.

Also is it necessary to chemically authenticate purchases even if buying from a reputable dealer?

Thanks

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Most people are attracted to diversity and no.

3. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Many of us started by buying only one item. Soon you discover that there is a world of options and the single item stack starts to look pretty boring.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I started stacking with diversity and I maintain diversity in my small stack. I would never chemically test a coin that I get from some seller who I purchase from. If the seller is that questionable in the first place, maybe you shouldn't be buying from that seller. There are non-destructive ways to test a silver coin; calipers, digital scale, strong magnet as very inexpensive starters. There's an app that you can get for little money which tests certain silver coins by the "ping" sound they make. I don't have it but it's been mentioned in this forum somewhere.

Lastly, there's a new type of electronic device that has come onto the market recently that can authenticate many types of coins....it was mentioned somewhere here on SS as well.

Oh, lastly, but importantly, XRF may in fact not be a good way to test certain precious metals products. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ATeNy3DIo

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

6. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I started in the opposite way. Wish I had just stuck with just the same 3 or 4 same types of bars/coins and had a boring stack. Much easier to stack, store, quickly calculate and sell. So I'd suggest KISS- Keep It a Simple Stack.

7. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Diversify. You run a better chance of something you stack building up a numismatic premium some time in the future. A small point, but it's free money..

8. nord

nord New Member

I started in the opposite way. Wish I had just stuck with just the same 3 or 4 same types of bars/coins and had a boring stack. Much easier to stack, store, quickly calculate and sell. So I'd suggest KISS- Keep It a Simple Stack.

Yeah, the selling especially. It is boring but It primarily an investment after all.

9. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Im with house on this one. I used to buy anything and now i just keep it very simple. Since im in canada, i have mostly sml.
    I also bought 2013 pandas, monarch poured bars.
    As for gold, i mainly buy lunar, pandas and maples for 1oz. I do plan to buy some 1/4 and 1/10 but also from same group that i stack/collect.