Marvel: HULK, THOR, Captain America and Iron Man.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Nov 5, 2014.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

2. db23

db23 Member

Being made by Sunshine Mint, I wouldn't expect the quality to be top notch.

3. barsenault

hmmm. Goes to show you what I know. I thought it was minted by NIUE. They must outsource all their work? Interesting. I'm sure the quality is probably outstanding, as sunshine has a lot at stake from a reputation point of view? Haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Watching. The pictures look nice...but watch it be where the picture looks nice and the coin sucks. LOL. Whereas we've seen some fugly pictures, but the coin is beautiful. :)

4. db23

db23 Member

Niue is a tiny country that basically sells the rights for various mints/distributors to mint coins with it's legal tender on it.

This is how most (ALL) of these various Oceania and African countries do it.

Most of these coins are minted in Germany where they are able to produce much higher quality than most private mints in the US.

5. barsenault

I never knew that. See, always learning. I love learning. Thanks for the insights. They must go out to bid. Because the spider man one, which I have 2 of with the actual signature of Stan Lee, was minted by Poland. Interesting tid-bit of info. When he dies, I hope to sell it for some fanatic for 10K. LOL. I have #7 and #9 out of 25.

I do like this 4 series Marvel set. Only 3500 minted for each coin - they broke up the sets, so if someone buys 50 of the Captain America, then they are out 50 sets. I found that to be interesting. If one is more popular than the other, the sets will be diminished. Trick is to find out which of the 4 is most popular and 'attack' that one. That is of course if this series is popular, which I believe it will be. However, no sales just yet. :)

6. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

I don't particularly care for sets that are released all at once like this from an investment perspective. A series where they come out one per year seems to provide time for interest to build and then the first and second years have a nice appreciation. Not always the case but just my perspective.

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

In the 70s, I remember seeing an Amazing Fantasy #15 for sale for $15. I was too smart to pay that much. :rolleyes:

Please note the $1.1 million dollar sales price of a similar copy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Fantasy

8. barsenault

holy moly. you actually could have bought that thing? I wasn't much into the comics as a kid, but I like them now. :) 15.00 into 1.1 mil I'd say that is a good return. :)

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Yep. That was the early 1970s and Marvel comics were just regular comics. I don't know the current grading system, but the AF #15 was advertised as near mint. I bought a NM Avenger's #1 for $2.50. Wish I hadn't sold it a few years later. Who knew they were going to make movies based on those characters? Not me.

Other than Avenger's #1 my smartest buy was copies of the Star Wars #1 when it came out in 1977. I still have those. Not going to get rich off of those copies, but they do have value.

10. barsenault

Hey, you never know how much that Star Wars issue will go for in a few years. It's like anything though, right? It's a needle in a haystack. Why is the one going for 1.1 mil and others not? Samething with coin collecting. Heck, I just enjoy the journey. It's a fun hobby, and I'm not necessarily 'blowing my money.' I'm taking money and putting it into money...just have to hope the 'real money' holds it's value. :) I like this marvel series and putting my money where my mouth is. LOL. A low mintage amount to boot. 3500 sets, and they've torn the sets up for individual purchase, so those sets could be 'curtailed' significantly. If someone just wants Captain America and none others, then the sets will be that many less. Anyway, just have fun with all this stuff. :) I did buy 20 two oz goats from Gainseville today. Hope you are well.

11. db23

db23 Member

Note that it just says only 3500 sets, it doesn't say how many of each coin will be produce outside of the set, I would guess another 6500 to make an even 10K of each coin.

12. barsenault

nope, I called the product manager. They told me, only 3500 of each coin. Although, if there is a different way to ask the question, please let me know (sincerely). I called and asked them if there are just 3500 of each coin minted. They said yes, and we've taken the sets and broke them out for individual orders. Although the product manager could be smoking the funny stuff. :)

Edit: Just called again, and sure enough, it was confirmed to me yet again. they've broken up the 3,500 sets so you can in effect buy 50 captain america coins, and never get the other 3, and this would mean there are now 50 less sets fromt he 3,500. And someone else could buy 50 of the hulk coins, and not be interested in the other coins, and yet again, there would be 50 less sets, etc...So it is a total of 3,500 for each coin. That's music to my ears. hehehe.

13. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

My boy would love those, but $400...........

14. barsenault

499 = those :D All 4.

99.00 = this :lol: Just 1

15. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

16. barsenault

Holy Moly, you did an outstanding job with that series. Makes me want to buy more. LOL. Seriously, that is impressive. Clear, and sharp images. I only pray the coins look like that. LOL. I bought quite a few of them, and will plan on this being my 10% collectible cash. I'd like 10 of these puppies. I really love comics. And I really like the way they look...so far. I have one on order and should be here on Fri. I'll have some images. :) I watched this one today, and they had like 29 left, and bam, next thing I knew they have 6, and now back up to 50'ish. 3500 sets isn't a lot. Just hope I can get my 10, but it will take me a while. Running dry on the greenbacks. Damn lunar series. LOL.

17. gwako

gwako New Member

Even though it's an Apmex exclusive due to the relationships we have, we were able to secure some as well. Please keep in mind our prices are in CAD, and we offer free shipping.

18. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I like the set as well and took the plunge and bought one. If it takes off, that would be great. If not my son would love to have it! So if I understand what I am seeing here and on line, there will only be 3500 of each coin. And they really just break up a set to sell them separate? I see that you can buy just the box from Apmex for $25, sets that have already been broken up? This box only option is also listed as a limited edition. And if you buy CPT America only for $119, you also get the lunch box. I find this all very confusing and look forward to smarter people than me sorting this all out.

19. barsenault

Yes, 3500 minted of each coin...and they created 3500 sets. They broke up some of the sets, and kept some intact, to help the average poor folks like me collect one at a time. :) Instead of starving my family to buy one complete set. But at the end of the day. only 3500 of CA, Hulk, Iron Man, and the other dude. :)

20. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like this set too. Hope they send for grading and the sunshine mints quality is better than Polland mints. The spiderman quality is not up to standard even is PF69 as compare to PM proof coin.

I have NZ mints star war all series. Is low mintage. However, not sold out as at today even years after issued by NZ MINTS.

Spiderman and star war do not fly in price:) Hope they will become a black horses in future.

Only RCM superman is flying in term of price. However, the demand in Singapore is over for superman. No many willing to pay the price