Am I the only one here that LOVES the Canadian Maple?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gigrantor, Apr 1, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I've read so many differing opinions on milk spots. Some claim that regardless of climate conditions, if a coin is bound to get the spots, nothing can be done to prevent that. Of course, I have seen no good evidence (scientific tests) to support any of those opinions expressed.

Until some authority can show they've documented specific testing, all of it is conjecture and anecdotes. Of course the spots are real, but what is conjecture is whether anything can be done after a coin has been minted, to prevent milk spots.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

BiGs has experience with them. He brought along a tube to the Sydney meet and showed us that the first coin he took out had spotted very quickly while the others seemed ok. Would be interesting to hear an update on the state of the other coins.

I've got a tube and it's been sitting in my car for over a month (yeah, it's dumb, I know). I'm thinking of opening and checking the condition of the coins.

3. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

I love Maple 2014 due to its high security features. ... I think when spot price goes crazy up, there will b many fake ASE n earlier year of CML..... less chance for CML 2014 onwards. ..... this means easier to sell n higher demand for CML 2014 onwards for low premium coins segment. Just my thoughts. ...

4. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

I have the same opinion. At least when you buy CML 2014 even not from big dealers you are sure that they are not fake.

5. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I'm another that likes the new design. I'm still waiting ona replacement set of gloves before I start checking them out in depth but i really like them. I bought a few rounds and coins to diversify but I'm mostly for bars or semi numi lunars and such. For the most part the medium premium coins are a no man's land for me.

although at the bulk prices Bigs offers three premium isn't that much more than your likely to pay than s 100oz PM bar (maybe a little over $1 an ounce more) and your likely to get that back later and it allows you to sell exactly how many ounces you want. Try cutting 23 ounces off a PM bar and selling that.

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

As a newb I thought they were worthwhile purchasing... now days I don't rate them mainly due to milkspots and premiums..

with milk any premium is too much

too many sustitututes to settle for 2nd best (which the S-CML is in americans, unless you prefer libertads like me making out 3rd out of 3 behind libs and ases..)

Maples have my vote over pm capsuled items as they are heavy and big premiums.. so get my lemon award!

7. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

After buying RCM products for the past years I now wont buy any RCM products (with exception of Pd maples). After opening my sealed rolls of Timber wolves, Cougars etc and found a mass of milk spots they have zero chance of ever seeing my fiat again. What a disappointment and waste of money in opportunity costs.

8. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

hey ronnie, sorry to hear about that. I learned my lesson early on. Luckily. I had quite a few rolls at like 35.00 and maybe even higher. As soon as I saw the spots forming. I got rid of them. I got rid every piece of Canadian metal I could get my hands on. I rolled it into my precious little kooks, and it was the best decision I made. I will never, ever buy a canadian maple...and to boot, they charge an excessive premium for the wild-life, and even for the maples. If they were selling at .10 over spot, or at spot, I just may consider buying a few. Those coins from the RCM are the biggest POS blobs of metal on planet earth.

9. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Newb Q:

So 99999 (five 9s) on maple leaf wont make any difference eh in milk spot?

10. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

OP-yes,probably u r :lol:

11. barsenault

Trust us, we know. It will not. I don't care how well you store them. It makes no difference, IMHO. I know some will disagree with me. But in time they will develop spots. Stay away!!!

12. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Everyone seems to have a theory about why they spot and how to stop it. Its really weird.

I seriously have to open my tube and see what has happened to them.

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

There's always the argument that since they (S-CML's) are the purest massively produced bullion coin sold and that their premiums are generally lower than many other same weight bullion coins, that they are in fact a good purchase if you value only the silver content and the fact that they are gov't issued coins. RCM has apparently had record sales of the S-CML's in recent years so apparently some people don't care one iota about milk spots. Probably it's large investors, those whose inventories consist of monster boxes and pallet loads of the coins.

Seems like most stackers here have a great distaste for these coins because most probably buy coins by the tube or piece and those who do are probably looking to sell the coins we have by the piece or tube and milk spots can kill the premiums we ourselves paid.

My first love for silver bullion gov't issued coins was for the Perth Lunar series 2. My love for them has only increased over the 24-30 months or so that I have been stacking tiny amounts here and there.

14. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

double post

15. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

yes you have made that abundantly clear.
    Don't like them, we get it, don't buy them, no one cares
    no reason to run them down 3 times in the same thread
    one has to question your motives
    now get down off your soapbox

personally, I have seen Kooks, Phils, ASE all with milk spots
    a simple google search will come up with many examples.

I have CML's, and surprisingly not a single one has developed milk spots. lucky? Maybe and maybe not.

16. barsenault

I'll continue to let the world know how horrible the Canandian bullion coins suck big bags of wind. Yes, you're just lucky. Just wait. In time you'll see them, and you'll be cursing the RCM too. Perhaps you work there? Sorry, but they suck big bags of dog poop. Any time someone asks for an opinioin, I will give it, and I don't need your permission, got it? Now scram little boy. hehehe.

17. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I have a few maples 2013 and 2014 and none have any milk spots. On the other hand I have one peregrine falcon coin I bought because I liked the design and it is milked up. I store them all in the same type of PVC-free flips, in the same box, right next to each other. Not sure why one would milk up but the others haven't if they are stored in the same way. I even got most of them from the same source.

I have maples in my stack and will continue to add them as I go. I like them because they are a low premium gov. issued coin like the ASE and Phils. The milk spots are a shame but I'm willing to tolerate them.

18. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Little uncalled there with Torcan. I will admit, I do value your insight, but the incessant bashing has become tiresome.

19. barsenault

yeah, probably right. And Torcan, I do apologize. However, I don't apologize for my disdain for the RCM bullion coins. If threads are created, and folks ask for opinions, I will gladly chime in as prior owner of maples, cougars, bears, wolves, and lost lots of money on the premium I paid. So, though the scram remark was in jest, and uncalled for - as I appreciate Torcan's posts. A few posts above, a person asked an a question for some adivce. Maybe they hadn't gone back to read my earlier comments (?). I freely expressed myself. Sure, did I say so about 5 times in this thread...sure, but this was a new inquiry. And I responded.

20. barsenault