The New Bronze Age - The epic scale of our copper dependence

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by SpacePete, Aug 19, 2014.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fascinating article on the epic scale of copper mining and how fundamentally essential it is for modern society:

2. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Great read! I swear I read something about this elsewhere, seems like something from FB maybe? But I know I've read this somewhere before: the void created could swallow midtown Manhattan from 33rd Street to 57th Street; 500 feet of empty air would hang above the spire of the Empire State Building.

I know there's only a 3% difference in copper and silver electric conductivity, but I wish I could replace all the electrical copper with silver in my house :D I wonder since electric cars get power from electricity if that 3% would make a difference in the acceleration? They say with gas engines there's a small delay when you put your foot on the gas but with electric powered cars it's instantaneous. Silver could give it that 3% boost. :)

3. SweetBread

SweetBread Member

As an electrician i'd rather be scrapping silver than copper, still good money in scrap copper though.

4. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

guy I knew as a young fella died cutting a live cable up top the mountain to get the copper true story.