10x maples vs 1 x 10oz lunar or kookaburra?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silverprepper999, Oct 15, 2014.

1. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

I plan to buy 10oz of silver, but I am wondering between 10x 1oz Maple leaf, 1x 10 oz Lunar Horse, and 1x 10oz Kookaburra 2014. All cost almost the same. What would be the best buy?

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lunar then Kooks. Then more Lunars instead of Maples.

3. csyip

csyip Member

How about pandas?

4. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Don't buy the Maples as they will never appreciate in numismatic value. I would go for Lunar then the Kook.

5. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

me: panda > lunar> others

in general: panda = lunar > others

mainly because the lunars and panda have numi characteristics. hence some have appreciated way over spot due to collectability.

at the end of the day if you're just looking for exposure to silver, and don't care - then the cheapest per oz will be better.
    It comes down to your goal / inner collector objective

6. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

Tnx. I guess I will buy 10 oz Horse coin then. :)

7. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I am a very new member and have only bought a few coins one of which was a 2014 Maple and without offending any Maple lovers out there its my least liked coin?

I suppose there will always be a bit of Patriotism attached to any coin purchase even when you think you are just "stacking" but when I first started looking at basic silver coins all the youtube vids seemed to much favour American Eagles and Canadian Maples so I bought one of each. In my very very short experience I would now buy anything Perth Mint (at the right price) over Maples but I am also from Perth lol. Saying that though I would defiantly buy any American Eagles over PM Salt Water Crocs, my second least favourite coin so far:)

10 oz of silver is very affordable to a noobie buyer like myself even in coin form so a 10 oz single coin isnt going to be a grind to buy! in fact a novelty in a sense. Most impotently I cant see myself ever buying rolls of one particular coin from a private seller. I have been looking looking looking over the past 2 weeks and unless its a sort after mintage what is the point of me buying a bulk lot or roll of coins off a seller just so the seller can get more than they paid for them originally? They should be selling bulk just over spot if they "need" to sell but they are selling bulk at a premium for no reason other than possessing many same as coins staked in plastic tubes?

Just a noobie silver buyers perspective:)

8. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Nothing wrong with Maples for stacking purely as a Bullion coin but the Perth Mint stuff has more of a chance to increase in price over spot value over time due to being more sought after by coin collectors. Maples are ok if you can get them at close to spot price.

9. Yendor

Yendor Member

10x1oz Maple or 1x10oz Lunar for the same price? Definitely the Lunar. The premium on the Horse will only go up, stay the same at worst. Maples won't appreciate.

10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Maples were my first love when I started stacking. The horrendous mint and post-mint damage and unavoidable milk spots drove me away from having anything to do with RCM products. I got sick of buying coins that looked like they'd been run over by a bulldozer and had spots that looked like they had the plague. Screw RCM, their always-damaged goods and the plague of their ever-present milk spots.

Kooks are good and Perth Lunars are far better, but the premium levels are stiffer. Pandas are OK, but the premiums are so stiff that I just can't fall in love with them.

All that being said, you'll almost always be best off buying the "local coin" of where you live (ASEs in the US, Libertads in Mexico, Maples in Canada, Philharmonics in Europe, etc) if you want to stick with relatively low-premium bullion.

11. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

I disagree, Libertads are popular everywhere :)
    Worldwide

12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Nobody said Libs aren't popular everywhere, so what are you disagreeing with? I said that (if they're into stacking low-premium gov't bullion), stackers would do well to stack the "local coin" of wherever they live, and I doubt you could disprove that. Being in Canada, you'd even be OK stacking those tragically dinged, gashed and spotted Maples.

On a tangential note and all "Lib-Love" notwithstanding, many good LCS's and reputable show vendors in the US treat Libs as generic silver because they're not denominated. Over the years, I've accumulated a good number of tubes (the long RCM tubes) of 1oz 80's + 90's Libs out of the secondary generic silver bucket at my main LCS. Used to be $1.50 over spot, but now it's up to $2. I treasure my ~30 year-old Libs that I got @ spot+$2 (especially the early ones with the writing on the edge), but I also like the 2014 Lib 7-coin proof set that I locked in when it was still in pre-release status---even though it cost me more than spot+$2.....