Rare silver 1984 Great Wall medal

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Oct 10, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

For those who are admirers of silver Chinese coins and medals, you may be interested in checking out the very rare 1984 Great Wall 3.3 oz silver medal which is seldom offered because there are so few:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1984-C...994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c4962c12

It's not the Great Wall medal I am lucky enough to own and I do not personally know the seller....I do very regularly keep a look-out for this medal being offered anywhere and on the rare occasion that I see one offered, I simply share for those who have asked me in private about this medal or have shown interest in other amazing Chinese medals.

2. syracuse

syracuse New Member

$8888

out of my ball park

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

That's play money for Missing...you know, like monopoly money? :) almost 9K? As soon as I saw Syracuse post that, I didn't even click the link. LOL. I have a couple of the 1985 Great Wall error coin. I hope those fetch 9k one day. :D Thanks for sharing missing. Oh, and if I had an extra 9k, I'd buy it...just the kind of crazy I am. LOL.

4. syracuse

syracuse New Member

They should print "If we fail to collect them all, we are no heroes", instead of "If we fail to reach the great wall, we are no heroes." :D

5. mmissinglink

Yes, just call me money-bags. :) I am currently in the boat of not enough money with yearning eyes on too many nice silver coins & medals. The Great Wall medal up for auction is one of only 24 pieces (by some estimates) that were ever sold to the public....a rare medal indeed.

EDIT: Some experts on Chinese medals consider it the creme de la creme of silver medals: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-in...1/huang-ruiyong-olive-is-one-of-pioneers.html

See: " Traditional Culture 1982 3.3 tael Great Wall first release(mirror proof), 1987 3.3 tael Great Wall second release"

For many years, and even till this day, there is still no consensus on the miniscule mintage numbers and the actual year that this particular medal design was made available for sale and even to whom these few medals were offered for sale to.

6. naomi01225

naomi01225 New Member

its mirrored version, still got matte version
    mirrored is expensive, but 8888 is too high

rim got ag999 on the medal
    but i have seen no number on the rim,i think maybe different mint, because china got shanghai, shenyang,shenzhen mint. many different large small date pandas issued from these mints

7. mmissinglink

Almost certainly all from the same mint. It's just that sometimes steps are overlooked unintentionally...quality control issue. I've read about coins from all the major mints that come to the retail level with QC problems like missed production steps.

The spelling error ("Heros") on some of the 1982/1984 and 1987 Great Wall medals (silver and bronze) is a QC problem in my view.

I am actually interested in buying a matte Great Wall silver medal.

If you have a spare one, just PM me. :)

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

careful of fake medal at ebay especially high value item.

It is not easy to tell fake or real even it has graded by NGC

9. mmissinglink

What do you mean by that? Are you claiming that NGC is authenticating as real, fake medals....or.....that fake medal;s are put in fake NGC slabs and then being put up for sale?

How do you know?

10. andrewlee10

A fake medal put in fake NGC slabs is low grade fake medal.

It can be a remanufacturing medal which send for grading and get graded.

Only few experts in the world can identify the trueness even not the mints.

Take special note of 1991 10 anniversary 3.3 oz silver and bronze panda medal. Many fake medals on ebay and in the market as inform by some panda specialized dealer in china. The premium is too attractive for them to do the dirty job.

11. mmissinglink

Hi andrewlee,

I am mostly just interested in medals from China which depict the Great Wall of China. Are you claiming that on ebay there are 1991 Great Wall medals that are fake? I looked on ebay for 1991 Great Wall of China medals but none exist on eBay. There are other 1991 China medals but not 1991 Great Wall medals.

Please be more clear in regards to the 1991 10th anniversary medal....is it depicting the Great Wall or something else?

Thanks for your help.

12. andrewlee10

Hi MMISS,

I am referring to the 1991 10 anniversary 3.3 oz silver and bronze panda medal not the 1984 Great wall medal.

However, one china dealer did informed me many fake Great wall medasl in ebay and china taboa website. I am not so expert in great wall medal. I am more on panda.

Personally, I will not buy high premium coin which I am not expert and comfortable especially china coin.

The reputable sources(dealers) with established company are more secure of buying a high premium coin. We might need to pay XXX k to engage an expert in china to verify and authentic of medal which might end up higher premium. However, if it is fake you can claim back money from the seller if transaction by ebay. Some dealers or resellers of china coin even unable to know the medal is fake or real.

I did came across a 1991 10 anniversary 3.3 oz silver panda medal graded with PF69 which highly possible is reproduce fake coin graded by the coin grading company. Luckily, my good friend inform me before buying....

13. barsenault

Damn, no thanks. I'm staying clear of any expensive medals. The 2 1985 Great Wall error medals I have better be authentic, they are the most I've ever spent on a coin or medal. And it will be my last expensive purchase. I also have quite few of the 2008 panda banknote coins and sets. Man, they better be real. They sure do look nice. :)

14. barsenault

What do you think of this medal. Missing, it's the latest and great minted. :) only 100 minted. Or so they say. LOL.

Source:

[​IMG]

15. mmissinglink

I've been eyeing that medal for several weeks now...I do like it a lot. I want to pull the trigger on it but as you know, every penny spent by me nowadays is a penny I have to really account for.

16. mmissinglink

Here's why I believe that today, as opposed to just a few years ago and earlier, NGC has not slabbed any fake 1982/1984 and 1987 Great Wall 60mm medals:

1) just about 2 years ago, due to the fact that the Modern Chinese Coin (MCC) market saw unprecedented growth over the previous couple or so years, NGC decided to hire some experts on Chinese medals and coins, including Peter Anthony who is an authority.

2) the 1982/1984 and 1987 Great Wall 60mm medals are so rare that I doubt that any authentication process of one that is submitted will be anything but very rigorous. Apparently, there is less than 200 of these medals in ALL years and ALL varieties COMBINED. Some estimates suggest that as few as 24 "1984" Beacon Tower Great Wall proof strike medals actually ever left the mint to go into public hands. If you look at NGC's population reports, there are no more than about 10 proof silver "1984" Great Wall medals of all varieties combined ever authenticated by them (no one probably ever submitted any to PCGS). It's not like they are tasked with authenticating hundreds of thousands of these or even dozens of these rare medals.

Here's some very interesting reading from a long time MCC collector and researcher:
    https://www.livebusinesschat.com/smf/index.php?topic=5112.0

17. mmissinglink

18. andrewlee10

I am super careful on china medal with value more than USD1K. However, my risk appetite might change from time to time ;)

19. andrewlee10

20. mmissinglink

I have purchased some copper medals from this seller. The kilo coin in your link is alloy with silver plating....that's what I think.