1st year stackers

Discussion in 'Silver' started by galifreyan_guy, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

It helps some thank you. I guess I phrased it badly what I meant was why diversify between bars and rounds. I see a lot of people tell others not to just buy bars and to add rounds or coins to there stack as well to diversify some but if it's silver all the same why does it matter?

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It depends on your thinking (views), your age, your income and expenses, your location, your community, your resourcefulness and knowledge, your personality, and a whole host of other factors. There isn't really a pat answer that fits every stacker because everyone is different in sum. Yes, for some, buying pure silver shot may be the best answer for them. I recall about 18 months ago, window shopping on the APMEX website and I found that by a good margin at that time, the 25 kilo pure silver shot bag was definitely the best deal (lowest premium). So for those dinosaur stackers :) who believe that any physical silver is critical to buy at the lowest price possible, they would have to purchase these bags of physical silver shot to be consistent with their dinosaur logic. :)

For me, some diversification is the best answer at this time....though no thank you on the pure silver shot. :) What do i mean by diversify? Some blobs (common, non-denom bullion bars or rounds), some junk silver coins, some bullion coins, some semi-numi coins and medals (I love Chinese silver medals), and even some precious metal jewelry if I can find at a very good price. I do not differentiate between blobs in the shape of bars and blobs in the shape of rounds...to me they are all the same thing (though of course, bars tend to take up less space in most safe deposit boxes or safe's).

3. Tx_drAgon

Tx_drAgon New Member

@18anstacking

1. JM is great. Good pricing, free shipping, fast service, and they communicate the status of your order all the way through the process. Another favorite of mine when buying generic is silvertowne.com. They are not fast, but with them you are buying direct from the mint making them the cheapest I've found for generic bars. Their house brand bars have a good reputation in the silver community.

2. Some coins are desirable because they have some numismatic value that can increase even when silver prices are falling. That distinguishes them from generic silver is silver bars. Examples are the Perth mint Lunar series and the America the Beautiful rounds from the US mint.

3. I don't see all generic bars as the same either. I think when it comes time to sell, generic bars from Johnson Matthey, Silvertowne, APMEx, Sunshine mint, etc can be sold easier than no name art bars. Especially if selling or trading to someone who doesn't know much about PMs.

4. I also like having a diverse collection of brands of bars, just in case a load of counterfeits hit the market when I want to sell. If there is a current scare surrounding a certain bar, I can sit on those and sell the other brands I have.

5. There was a number 5, but I'm getting senile and forget what it was...

4. Silversaving

Silversaving Member

I can vouch for JMBullion. I've placed 4 orders with them over the last 2 months and have nothing to complain about. Pros on them is they are fast to get your order out and they have free shipping which is awesome for a guy like me that can't make HUGE volume purchases to offset the price of large shipping costs.

5. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

How much should I put in silver? I'm not gonna sell till I'm out if college in 4-7 years if the markets right then but I'm dropping bout half of my monthly income into silver each month now. Any other pms I should check out besides gold? I personally find gold not to appealing for my money.

6. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

stack strange word, anyway for me its a hedge against impulse buying of more crap I don't need :D

7. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't forget to put some cash towards your student loans :)

8. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

No student loans for me I have a full ride!:D

9. graydragon

graydragon New Member

Holdfast Give's Great advice ya just gotta listen . A safety deposit box Is maybe 25-100 bucks a year and well worth it. I am also a musician everyone
    Knows this . and people strangely often as In the first question they ask me Is If I have Les pauls NO and No LOl why they love to steal them Honest truth I sold my Lp and two other custom Gibsons just to much dollar value laying around.People walking down my street can gear me playing so they kmow I have
    music equipment so I keep Dragons lots Of dragons! The ebay pic deal is true I gamble ever now and then I got real lucky found a guy with 100 rating
    that takes crappy pics but his coins are always excellent my gamble my gain . Now about them Dragons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Tx_drAgon

Tx_drAgon New Member

Anyone want to critique my beginning stack?

25 x Johnson Matthey 1 oz bars
    25 X Sunshine Mint 1 oz bars
    20 x APMEX 1 oz bars
    30 x Silvertowne Trademark 1 oz bars
    20 x Silver Eagles (2014)
    04 x ATB 5 oz rounds (all the available 2014s)

11. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ok, you have it !

Here it is.........

Somewhat, no, very, very, inappropriate post there dragon boy.......and that is from a newbie , so watch it..

Pay attention and maybe read up some further.
    Uncool to gob off like that, honestly, curb your enthusiasm.

Be very carefull here. Make it a long time, rather than a short time.

Read up mate, for f sake.

:)

12. raven

Search "Lunty" or robbery or something , but go easy bro, geez.

13. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

So I have been seeing a lot of people posting that silver is gonna go sideways..what does that mean?and is it good or bad?

14. smk762

Depends on how much you tilt your head...

Means it's not going up or down significantly. Good if you think it's going up later and need some time to fund stack growth.

15. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

So then when it gets to around 10$ or lower everyone will want it to go sideways so they can get a huge stack going for the eventual rise right?

16. smk762

Yep, and all the people who need to cash out and pay the mortgage will want it to go up ASAP.

17. graydragon

graydragon New Member

ARE YOU SERIOUS ? I say Holdfast gave good advice and posted pics of some of My dogs one OF my CHAMPION DOGS ! One You see GUYS like me GET In the ring and can win I have probably thrown away more trophys than you have ever won LOL. From football foosball boxing Two Champion dogs
    and two jr champs I don't gob Off and I damn sure aint a boy you wanna ban from this board you go right ahead. Are better yet Im along time long standing member on several other boards where we have lightly to no moderation thread sections where you and I can have a real conversation sonny
    I was probably collecting coin when you was in diapers ya gobber that one sonny change your diaper too while your at it.So unless your a moderator here
    let them do their job while you Kiss my A$$

18. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

Hey raven not to be an asshole but shut the fuck up. Gray dragon was talking bout safety deposit boxes and guitars how the hell that's "very,very inappropriate" I've go no idea. So instead of wasting space on here telling someone else to shut up for nothing why not ask and or say helpful things for new stackers.

One question of which I have is where are the best (generally) and worst places to sell when prices are high.

19. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Come on guys calm down i think ravens good intentions got lost in the delivery . He didnt do a very good job of saying what he meant imo .

What he was trying to say was dont tell the world what you have . Theres been a couple of significant robberies here in oz .He was thinking of dragon's best interests when he posted im sure ...just didnt choose the right words to say it .

20. raven

That's it

:)