1st year stackers

Discussion in 'Silver' started by galifreyan_guy, Sep 23, 2014.

1. galifreyan_guy

galifreyan_guy Member Silver Stacker

Thought I'd start a thread up for all of us 1st years and noob stackers :)
    Any long term experienced stackers feel free to impart tips and mistakes to avoid.

Im reading a lot throughout the different threads with the sudden drop in price being a prime topic and it got me thinking that your reaction to the current spot trends is really determined by where your at as a stacker. Long term about to retire, bought in at $30 or like me and in the beginnings of making a really expensive jenga tower.

Being at the start of my stack im liking the price drop and wouldn't mind another year of drop or sideways movement to build my stack up. And im optimistic for a good bull run in 3-5 years maybe 10. im not going to b.s. this and that for bull or bear but my long term view 10-20yrs is that it is a finite resource with ever growing industrial usage, few silver only mines and a low recycle rate.

None if the historical price charts have had the surge in industrial/technological use as we're going to see in the near future...........I hope. Well im stacking so I bet.

Look forward to reading the songs of the bear and bull

2. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm fresh to the game but not the concept. I missed the last boat, when gold was at 800 I was waiting for it to go back to 400, so I never bought in until looking at silver recently. Seems like a decent time to buy with long term mindset. I'm actually hoping it goes a bit lower while I build my stack, but I'm happy with sideways too for now.

3. ucwepn

ucwepn New Member

Hi I am new to the game as well, I am buying up pre florins mainly and have found it to be quite addictive and I am enjoying the hunt very much. I will be buying up as much as I can while it is low (but can't see myself stopping if it jumps as I intend to build a stack)

4. rainy day

rainy day Active Member

Hi I am new to stacking I think I ended up here by not wanting to keep large amounts in the banks for them to steal or governments to steal. Bit slow to catch on but that doesn't seem to have worked against us late comers.

5. galifreyan_guy

Care to shate some noob mistakes?

I, on fleebay, bought a silver 'clad' 999 finesse $10 note series in a nice case. Its junk, looks pretty but junk so I keep it out to remind me to double triple check items. Then I joined this forum and largely ignore fleebay.

6. CFP

CFP New Member

Noob mistake: Bought a fake silver bar off ebay by accident, didn't pay much for it which was the appeal but I should have researched it better.
    It was one of those misleading titles with the spiel admitting it was fake.
    I have been stacking for a couple of years now, I like Australian Florins as well, 1966 round fifties and .999 silver rounds etc.

7. galifreyan_guy

Love the australian florins. Scored a '32 in a bulk buy

8. Tx_drAgon

Tx_drAgon New Member

Love this thread. I started stacking 2 months ago.

Of course my first purchase was a mistake, although not a big one. I bought a 10 oz bar on EBay from Silvertowne. Soon after I realized I could get a better deal just going to their website direct. I also realized that I don't want bars that big until my stack is considerably larger.

9. galifreyan_guy

10oz isnt too bad, thats the largest size ive purchased but its nice to have a few 1oz sizers to look like a bit more volume.
    Yeah checking and comparing website prices including their shipping cost to walk in dealer or this forum is a must before laying out some coin especially if its a bigger buy.

One website might be cheaper on an item than another but they can have much higher shipping and handling fees which make them the more expensive choice.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My Tips for new stackers would be this:

Understand why you want to buy physical metal.

Understand how you will sell and the tax implications. (Capital Gains tax)

Have a place to secure your metal. (Vault or Safe Deposit box)

Diversify what you stack. (Buy bars and coins that sell in your country)

Learn about / become an expert in a particular "line" of coins, say Kookaburra, Lunars, Koalas, $10 coins, carded coins etc so that when you see a bargain price, you can instantly buy without hesitation.

For example...if you knew the price of a Series 2 - 5oz Lunar Mouse and saw one for sale at 300 bucks you would buy immediately or maybe you saw a 2008 Kookaburra for 30 bucks etc etc etc.

Never buy coins from ebay if the seller cannot post high quality images; out of focus or poor quality images should send alarm bells ringing.

Never tell friends you stack metal.

Never give advice to friends or loved ones to buy into an investment.

Always have spare cash for that bargain coin or bar. (never use credit or take-out a loan to buy metal)

Be on your guard...although many folk on this forum are honest, the forum can be viewed by other folk who may target / profile folk with the aim of depriving them of their metal.

If you meet with folk to discuss metal, keep your mouth shut and eyes open (Over-heard conversations could make you a target)

Keep a detailed spread-sheet of all your purchases and a spread-sheet for current prices of the particular coins or bars you sell; this will help you get a feel for the market.

Finally, there will always be bargains and always time to sell or buy, never rush in...do your homework and don't be scared to buy if you know have your shite squared away.

Finally 2 :) Buy Australian produced coins and bars! :D

H

11. galifreyan_guy

Top pointers holdfast thankyou. I think in particlar the not telling friends you stack is good. Friends tell friends, friends of those friends and you may very well find someone who will releave you of your stack.
    I must admit I told a couple close mates and wanted to sshow off some shiney but its something that should be kept to yourself.
    You dont go round telling people how much you have in the bank. No diff with pms.

Thanks for posting holdfast :)

12. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Absolutely great advice from Holdfast. I concur with every point!

13. Silversaving

Silversaving Member

I just started in July.

Every persons situation is different so it will always be hard to say what direction is right or wrong. I feel I'm doing well thus far and making good decisions on what I buy. I enjoy my stack and don't regret any of my purchases. That's more important to me then what others think.

This site (and a few others like it) has been unbelievably helpful in learning about PMs. I'm glad I found it and glad I can now say I own physical. It makes daily life a bit less stressful for me. I also am cheering as the price has dropped rapidly these last few days. Some people seem to get worked up over it and scream about manipulations, but I treat it like the blessing it is for a stacker.

14. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Use the search function - searching for 'noob' is a good place to start ;)

15. Drongo

Drongo New Member

What a refreshing thread! Good luck to all the new stackers.

It brings back a lot of memories of when I first purchased back in 2006 and theres been a lot of ups and down since.

At one point the price jumped to over $18 and stayed there for about five months before crashing below $10 and the talk was exactly the same as it is today. Many lamented buying in at $18 and being underwater 50% if they sold, others talked about having bought it under $8 and they didn't care at all, while others were definatively stating it would go back under $4 and stay there permamently and then there were those that saw it as the perfect opportunity to enter the market, just like most of you.

Just remember that whatever point in the cycle you're at, someone has been there before, held firm through the rough times into the good times and back down again to where we are today. Eventually you learn to laught at the naysayers and hold firm in your beliefs. That is the most important leson, don't get swayed by what anyone else thinks, think for yourself, besides everyones entrance and exit points are going to be different the trick is to make it work for you.

16. darkclark

darkclark New Member

hello all
    excellent thread, im new to stacking as well but not coins as I had been into that since childhood but silvers more fun and less serious. yes iv made the same mistakes as well and my daughter is the proud owner of a genuine Tibetan silver bar to prove it lol. after more mistakes over paying on ebay I finally discovered gold stackers in Melbourne who are both very reasonably priced in comparison to just about any other source you can think of but also really friendly and easy to deal with. I buy mostly high premium semi numastics but should really load up on generic rounds while the price is low. Anybody who wants to contact me feel free and im always up for a bit of banter

17. CFP

CFP New Member

extremely lucky! I don't even have one of those... yet :D

18. CFP

CFP New Member

Holdfast you ex RAE?

19. 18anstacking

18anstacking New Member

Hey yall
    I've been ghosting this site accountless for about a year now but just saved up enough for 50 oz in silver bars(4 10oz and 10 1oz). I'm still unsure though as to the difference/reasons in stacking bars and rounds/coins/pandas ect. Why not just buy the cheapest .999 silver you can get?? And is jmbullion.com a good silver site to buy from(it's the only one I've found that I like so far)

20. galifreyan_guy

I dont know anything about jmbullion hopefully someone else can help you there.

As for bars (mint/cast), coins and rounds the biggest difference is going to be the premium your buy for and inherently sell for.

Legal tender bullion coins usually sell 20-50% over spot but these are government backed, dated, semi-numeristic (collector's premium) with proof like finish. Also some like the lunar series become highly collectable and some are limited mintage as the perth mint kooks only 500,000 compared to the maple leaf of 15-20m

Rounds are generally low premium as bars but there are a lot more private mints putting out a lot more different designs of which some start to sell for higher premiums over spot. Xag, opm and ntr I think will be the lowest premium rounds.

Bars range 1oz to 1000oz monsters, really you can make a blob of silver as big as you want. For a cast bar, nothing pretty, will be bought and sold pretty close to spot your not going to get a premium. Minted, polished, and stacker bars have had more work put in them, look nicer to stack so they will sell for a bit more.

Hope that helped a bit. If not one of the more experienced guys will post an answer.