Would larger bars really be ideal for 'SHTF'?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sonic, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I don't want to turn this into a "this could never happen" "oh yes it could!" type of debate. Let's just for the sake of discussion make believe in a severe SHTF scenario. No official currency (for a time being at least) and people are bartering, but let's assume people still hold value in gold and silver, and that becomes a go-to option on the streets for trading and selling. Would heavy bars really be realistic in that situation? I would imagine if even the smallest weight of silver you have to spare is a troy ounce you'd probably want a lot more than a loaf of bread for it. So what would you be trading 10oz+ bars for? Seems like that's something that would be more useful for cashing in at some point (when a currency returns) or buying expensive items. But if shit is crazy you might have a lot of silver that you don't know what to do with. I ask because it seems that a lot of the SHTF survival prepping team seem to stick to bars because "it's all about pure silver quantity" rather than paying more premiums for coins. If you are in this category wouldn't it be best to diversify and have lots of varying amounts and sizes, maybe even a lot of 1/10 oz rounds, rather than just focusing on buying as much silver as possible at the lowest rates (heavier and heavier bars)?

Along that same line of thought, wouldn't it be better to buy gold, which you could discreetly carry with you for any large purchases, rather than gigantic chunks of silver? Just a thought.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good question. I didn't think big bars would be useful at all in the early period of a full-on major collapse.

Maybe later, if things don't really recover to present day levels and only stabilise then I'd imagine silver extraction, refinement and transport could be very expensive relative to today so the bars could be useful as a ready source of silver for turning into coins.... the energy has already been spent on mining and transport during the good times so it's a bit of a hedge against future extraction and energy costs.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I don't believe the hocus pocus of a mad max world...or a SHTF scenario.

4. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Then why comment?

5. Tx_drAgon

Tx_drAgon New Member

Big bars wouldn't be useful for conducting transactions. They would be useful for preserving wealth through the crisis until a new economy is established.

6. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Large bars are ideal for SMSF.

For SHTF, it all depends. Early days, it's all about food, water, medicine, weapons and mobility. Mid-term, it'll be about seeds/crops, books, water, medicine, weapons and walls. Tobacco and tampons will be valued trade goods.

Once traders establish market hubs, silver/gold would likely take the role of currency where straight barter is not viable. When the store owners accept it, and dispense it, it will gain universal trade value. Until then, it is just another good to barter with. An ounce might buy a loaf from one person & not be accepted at another.

The bigger the trader, the more likely they will value gold/silver once it all settles down. Ideally they will have sufficient variation in size to give you change for your kilo, otherwise it'll be store credit.

If you are travelling long distance, and you have to bring your stash, gold will slow you down less, and is more able to be hidden within your digestive system.

PMs in a SHTF scenario would be better off stashed than bartered initially. People might not want to trade bread for it, but they will kill you for it. Leave the bulk of it stashed until things return to normal.

During the early days post-SHTF, you'd do best will small tradable items that are taken for granted now, but will be considered luxuries in times of crisis.

7. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Good points. I never thought about tampons before but I'm sure you're right. That's one thing to add to my readiness list, even if it is embarrassing having to explain to my family why I'm stockpiling tampons as future trade goods lol. I'm not so sure about stashing gold in my digestive tract though!

8. Tx_drAgon

Tx_drAgon New Member

I think a militarized police state is the more likely result of a SHTF scenario than widespread anarchy. It is also my understanding that throughout history there have been plenty of fiat currency collapses that resulted in neither of those two scenarios.

9. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've always had the opinion that the larger bars would make good SHTF weapons. Put it in a footy sock, and use as a club. Or strap them to your chest as makeshift armour.

10. graydragon

graydragon New Member

You are correct no fiat has ever stood the test time . Silver means money in 14 languages fact.
    If anarchy and chaos do arise all us old fooks wont make it anyway only the strongest youth and they will terminate
    adults with extreme prejudice as they will view us as the cause. and that's what the biggest brightest minds concluded
    about the whole shtf scenario and I agree.
    greydragon

11. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

It all depends on the world you are envisioning. Is it one without the internet, police, electricity, etc? Or is it simply one with hyperinflation, but everything else working pretty smoothly? If the latter, then you will have places that will change your 100 oz bars into coins, or might melt 100 oz bars into 1 oz coins for you (for which you will be charged 2 oz), I don't see the problem in having 100 oz bars. And you can always use these 100 oz bars to buy buildings. You will probably be able to buy a whole city with a 100 oz bar, which means that you will be able to buy the whole of Australia with your 10 bars! Won't that be cool! All the hot women will also be your private property!

12. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't forget to add toilet paper, toothpaste and instant coffee to your trading stack.

13. SpacePete

We're getting the militarised police state no matter what, SHTF or not.

Maybe silver will simply be confiscated or compulsory acquired by the state for a nominal value if the economy tanks and precious metals look like they could challenge fiat.

14. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Even if large bars of PMs become very valuable, there would be traders,dealers, or bullion merchants that would for a fee of course swap you large bars for smaller ones ,rounds or coin.Where there is a need, the need will be satisfied.

15. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

One word. Hacksaw.

16. CFP

CFP New Member

I had this discussion not long ago with some prepper mates. I think no, small amounts are better, easier to move etc.

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

you would need dimes quarter and half

90% silver coins.

or the 80% 50 cents round 1966

or the older ones, 92.5% pence etc check the calculator above.

bigger bars are heavy

18. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

good for splitting zombies heads or making bullets to kill vamps-see the strain

19. ryan71

ryan71 Member

For SHTF, I like locally minted 1oz. coins. They'll be more recognizable and more credible. At the quantities I buy, the small premium is worth it.

20. SpacePete

I just realised something.... after the SHTF most of the remaining general public would not know the true value of a 1966 round 50. They'd think it was 50c.

Maybe time to mint custom silver coins with expected future SHTF spot price on them?