Aussie dollar to drop below 66c - "benign" collapse ahead

Discussion in 'Currencies' started by SpacePete, Sep 11, 2014.

1. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Or make it free like it was better yet, make fees tied to grades to disincentivise slack students. HD students pay minimal, failures pay through the nose.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

There is no such thing as free education. Someone has to pay for it.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ultimately nothing is free.

TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

4. SpacePete

Incentive based fees is an interesting proposal.

There are a number of pros and cons around free education. But the following is an interesting conjecture based on OECD data:

5. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

How can you claim losses when you never paid tax in the first place? All that happens currently is that if a public servant makes real estate losses they get to receive more taxpayer money than they otherwise would have. Which is ridiculous when you think about it. Currently, if you have 2 public servants on the same salary but one has RE investments and the other doesn't then the one with RE losses effectively gets paid more than the one who doesn't. Sounds like a scam to me.

You losses in RE should simply be losses. Accept your bad luck or poor decision making. Whichever is applicable.

6. smk762

To simplify the theoretical, lets assume that only the income derived from working in the public service is declared as tax free. They'll still pay GST, CGT etc. Additional income would be taxed according to the rate based on total income (i.e. no tax free threshold). Any losses would be proportioned in line with the proportion of additional vs total income .

Eg. 40k tax free via public service employment.
    20k additional income from personal services etc. taxed at 32.5% (equivalent to $37,001 $80,000 bracket)
    15k RE losses

Additional income is 1/3 of total, so you only get to claim 5k worth of the losses.

Alternatively, I agree losses should be losses across the board to all taxpayers, punishment for bad investment. Those who don't invest shouldn't be liable for paying for the failed speculative greed of those who do.

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Neither should those who don't utilise a service be liable for it's funding. ;)

8. smk762

Agreed. In a perfect world...

Alternatively, only those that voted in the current government should pay tax.

9. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And only those who pay tax should be allowed to vote. :)

10. smk762

LoL. GST for all, income tax only for primary voters of the winning team. Imagine the comedy potential when minor parties come in at an all time high. Moot argument though, whoever wins will just cut income tax and raise the GST. Everybody wins!

11. hawkeye

Well, it's funny how the majority of us manage to live and work in that "perfect world" but for some reason government workers aren't willing to offer their services on the open market.

FIFY

12. smk762

You offering me a job? or should I quit and join the dole queue waiting for something to open up at McDonalds?
    Workplace turnover is pretty high apart from the guys within a decade of retirement, so I assume these are the "some" you refer to?

I've followed a few leads, but none of the work offered has offered the same potential for satisfaction as occasionally being involved in bush fire suppression support. I'm happy with the opportunities I'm given to build my resume and experience, despite having to wait for someone to retire to even have a chance at promotion. Thank you, generous tax payers of Australia for granting me this precious gift.

Anyone else want to offer up their profession so we can critique it?

13. Savocado

Savocado New Member

*Yawn* Yeah it's going down, how much? when?

I have been hearing how much it's going to fall and when and how etc etc for a long long time.

It never falls by much and generally bounces back.

I think it'll take longer to fall than most expect.

14. smk762

Lower dollar is offset by increased export earnings -
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...nings-in-2013-14/story-e6frg926-1226731581477

The link is almost a year old, but on track with AUD value forecasts so far.

Here's a more recent one - http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/09/15/column-russell-commodities-currency-idINL3N0RG12G20140915

15. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Only those who make a contribution, should get a say on it's distribution.
    Anyone who disagrees is most likely supported by the public purse (or has an awesome accountant :p). :)

16. hawkeye

I was going to claim that I wasn't passing judgement and you read it wrong, but if I'm being honest with myself I probably was, at least at some level. I try to restrict my criticism to the system or people who have specifically done wrong because I know that the system is all-pervasive and it's very hard to stay out of it completely, but sometimes get too enthusiastic and moralistic. I have worked on govt contracts in the private sector in the past and, considering how keen private consultancies are on govt contracts, I probably will in the future, even though I don't like them. We all make our own compromises, so I apologise for the swipe. You're right, it was unwarranted.

I've made many contributions but never had a say in it's distribution. Voting has been completely useless and in fact, when I think about it rationally it makes sense that it's useless. So to clarify the, admittedly vague, point I made, all those who believe in democracy and want to pay for it can do so and the rest of us will keep our money and live in the real, rational world.

17. smk762

I'm not a fan of "the system" but I understand how to work within it to protect against it. Akin to tax minimisation.

18. SpacePete

All signs point to down. More reporting on economic analysis below.

19. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

If you keep everything in perspective, we are really only falling against the u.s. dollar.
    If you look at all other major currencies over the past year we are either neutral or have gained against them.
    If we drop to 66 cents then you can bet that the Euro, pound, yen etc will all be down....big time....and the u.s. dollar index will be over 100 and climbing...

20. SpacePete

AUD continues its drop. Now under 90 and still falling. It could accelerate through 80 if the US raises rates.