QLD Floods : Bligh open to insurance rethink

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Guest, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Read the rest here : http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/15/3113439.htm

2. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Guest

Guest Guest

She's a politician & accountable to her populace.

You saw what happened to me when I even breathed about Duty of Care and taking responsibility for yourself and I'm just some random on a forum!

Could you imagine what would happen if she assumed the same? They'd be on her doorstep with pitchforks and torches before she could blink.

She can bleat whatever she likes in all honesty, but she knows as well as anyone with half a brain she can't do a damn thing about the state of insurance.

The insurance companies have everything to lose & nothing to gain and she wants to start coming down heavy on them?

Damn fool she is if she think that will have any impact beyond a few locals giving a half hearted cheer.

It'll change nothing in the end.

Those who have no insurance or only got half arsed coverage thinking the Gubmint will cut them a better deal are deluding themselves, but Bligh has no choice other than to puff up the chest and pretend to fight for the people, else it's her job.

4. Randomz

Randomz New Member

Where does she say that?

5. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Ah Auspm. We have learned our lesson the hard way.

Suncorp is the only Insurance Co that automatically insures against flood on all policies.

The new for old insurance Co will not even cover your property even if you live on top of the great divide. I shouldn't have said that because Toowoomba is on top of the divide. Does that mean that no one in Australia is immune from a freak flooding event.

I live about 400metres from the beach and I am about to make inquiries about tsunami and sea surge protection. I think I will start at Suncorp.

Auspm is right. We should all check our insurance policies and read the fine print. I can't afford to loose my hoard of silver to King Neptune.

Regards Errol 43

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Also, since/if insurance comps cant pay it all out - there is a great excuse to inflate the AUD even more,
    so that they can pay it all out.

Now they are saying that they will cover it, but thats the heat of the moment, we shall watch Today Tonight 3 months from now, the fiascos will be spectacular.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Read the article. It's self explainatory.

8. hanrahan

hanrahan New Member

You're a joke Auspm. You complain that you can't afford better digs and then dump on everyone else who can't afford to live in "guaranteed" dry houses.

We don't live in a perfect world.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I wouldn't be so eager to cast stones hanrahan.

How can you berate someone for taking issue with inequity in one breath and then lambast them for not recognising it with another?

Your vendetta blinds you with bias in that you can't even visualise the obvious, nor see the blantant hypocracy in your testament.

Or are you simply ignoring the fact I had to point it out to you whilst 100% of the folks around you saw it straight up?

I'm more aware of the fact that we don't live in a perfect world than you appreciate. The fact that you're still allowed to waste air by breathing tells me straight up the truth of that statement.

10. Randomz

Randomz New Member

Dude, you are seriously delusional if you read those comments to be coming down heavy on the insurance companies.

Her comments are more of a smokescreen to deflect people away from thinking too much about why the government hasn't done anything to prepare for flooding in the 35 years since the '74 flood.

11. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

12. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Thanks rbaggio. I did read your post 109. very interesting to learn that yes Suncorp does indeed have flood insurance on every policy but they make the cost prohibitive if you live in an area that is flood prone. Who can afford $3000 a year.

Made inquiries today from BOQ as to whether flood insurance was covered in their policies. The answer was yes and it covered all types of flooding except tsunami , tidal wave , sea surge or sea inundation.

Maybe it is not a good idea to live near the sea.

Will make further inquiries . Maybe some insurer will insure against the ravages of the sea. If they do I wouldn't be surprised to think the premium would be prohibitive for a small stacker like me.

Regards Errol 43

13. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Umm, they did build the Wivenhoe Dam !

14. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

My opinion is that the money is best spent examining the hydrology of the flood plain; determining where the water must be allowed to move through in future; engineering appropriate levees where required and buying out all the serious flood affected properties in the designated flood channels and never allow them to be built up or developed again.

Brisbane has the least amount of surrounding greenspace of any of our cities. Not enough thought or consideration was given to this by the city's shapers.

This gives that opportunity.

15. Randomz

Randomz New Member

Fair point indeed!

But my thrust was that only a cry baby would consider her comments to be "coming down heavy" on insurance companies.