1998 China Gold Panda Set in OMP "Small Date"

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverbulldog, Jul 14, 2014.

1. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

like the title says I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 Gold Panda Small Date Set in OMP.

All coins look very high grade except a few small copper "red"spots..almost non existent.

How much should I pay for this set in OMP?

Guy is asking $13,000 and some change and I already inspected the coins they are genuine and look sharp.

Also a regular 2001 Gold Set of BU Pandas for $3,750-

which set would you guys buy and why?

I am hoping for someone to tell me which they think is a better investment...I know what I think but I want and need your help please

2. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

The 1998 for $13K, the premium is over $10K
    I don't know how much you should pay for it..but they are not easy to find.

If you can't afford to buy both of them, I couldn't recommend buying either...!
    As an investment, quite risky. I think you would have to hold them for many years in order to make a profit.

3. HustliN

HustliN New Member

1998 is extremely hot at the moment. apparently most of them were melted down or for jewlery pieces. so any in good condition is worth a bundle! nice year and nice design IMO!

4. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Although I appreciate your response it sounds like you are not well versed with Chinese Numismatics. I am not buying this coin based on the "Premium" over Gold Spot. So $10,000 premium can be justified if the set goes to $20,000 or $50,000 or more in the next 10-15 years.

This is a purely Numismatic "Collectible" Play.

When you say "quite risky" I have to disagree since it is the Key Date Gold Panda set from what I can see in Mintage #'s.

Check out the 1/2oz Gold Mintage 4,168 coins Max...I am sure some were damaged and melted down.

Also look at the 1/10oz Gold Mintage 8,502 coins Max....very low for MCC's

Also what makes you think I can't afford...if it was about an affordable coin I would not be buying Gold Pandas especially the older dates in a full set.

I have never made any money or gained any advantage in life by not taking risk. I am more than willing to sit on this set for 30 years. Unlike many Dealers and Collectors I do not need to sell any coins I buy for a quick profit.

What Gold Panda's do you know especially the Rare Sets in High Grade that have gone down in value over the last 10 years.

look at past Ebay "Sold" listings for gold 1998 Pandas and you will see how popular these coins are.

5. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

thanks Hustlin...this was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for your positivity...I agree this is a very Hot set right now and I believe it will be worth a bundle in years to come.

The set is in full OMP and very high grade.

I am a NGC member so I will likely NCS and NGC the coins...fingers crossed for MS69's and if I got a 70 I would be in amazing shape!

I love the 98 design and the lowest mintage numbers from my notes than on any other Panda Gold Set of regular BU's!

I am hoping to pay $12,500-

6. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

None, that is exactly the problem with these coins.
    I am more concerned with those that have gone down in value over the last 2-3 years.

Check here if you need some confirmation of the price:

http://store.singaporegoldsilver.com/pricehist/gold-panda-price.php?find=&year=1998&page=2

Item: Most Rare 1998 China Panda Gold Small Date 5 Coins in a Set NGC MS 69 (281334608832)
    Price: USD 12,660.00
    Bids: Buy It Now!
    Ship To: US
    Listing Period: 2014-05-12T03:09:05.000Z ~ 2014-05-12T05:26:49.000Z

7. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I think it's a matter of demand/supply. I guess the seller is palm-ing off this set as he knows that the market is on its way down. If you want it for your personal collection, and have the dough, then why not.. it is scarce and definitely will go up in value.. but not in this current stage on metals... you need to sit on these babies for atleast 3-5 years to reap the rewards, if you decide to sell them.

8. pragmatist

pragmatist New Member

I'm very new to all of this and probably talking rot however these seem such a popular coin and highly collectible, people paying well over spot that I'd be amazed if they didn't go up in value over the next 10 years or so. I think there may well be investment potential for the Pandas.

9. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

You sound like a dealer ?? :(

10. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

I am not looking for a quick flip. In fact none of the good investments I have made in my life are a quick flip.

Like Warren buffet says you should make investments you can hold forever.

I made an offer of $10,500- for the 98 set by itself.

the other detail I found out is the 1/2oz coin in the set is a Large Date which makes it worth $10,000 in MS69 by itself.

11. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Me?

12. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

UPDATE- I offered 10,500 on the 98 set which was turned down quickly.

Obviously the seller is quite sucessful and a sharp person who knows the value.

If I can settle on $11,500 the deal will be done.

I hope to get some feedback from the experts in this area...If you do not know anything about Chinese coins than please do not post unnecessary opinions.

Silverbulldog

13. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

pics?

14. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

It is my opinion that you should learn the difference between "then" and "than"

15. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Oh I am sure you have never made a mistake in your life.

In my opinion a person who feels the need to call out a complete stranger on an international forum is small minded and has underlining insecureties themselves.

The quote " take the log out of your own eye before taking the splinter out of someone else's eye" comes to mind.

Silverbulldog