Frankenstack

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Nabullion Dynamite, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I admire everyone here with a set strategy whether it is buying generic, semi numi, graded, short term, long term etc what your secret?

I'm beginning to think that I have gone full retard with my stack and am not sure what to do. My stack has become a mix of just about everything because I got so excited I wanted some of everything. Now that I have a decent amount(for me) I'm starting to look it over and wonder what the hell I'm going to do...my stack is a mix of

fractional non bullion silver coins from, australia, canada, america and mexico...
    mixed 1oz, 10oz, kilo and 100oz bars
    mixed .25, .5, 1, 5oz, 10oz, and kilo coins and rounds
    poured bars of random sizes like 1 oz, 3oz etc
    seminumi coins and bullion from everywhere...lots of perth mint and other partial collections
    Graded bullion and other bullion and coins that appeals to me due to dates or designs.
    and whatever else I have stumbled across like silver shot and silver bullets...I even have some silver spoons and forks and a cup :lol:

I'm overly attached to some and hate others that I have purchased, some would be way to hard to sell and it doesn't stack very well. Looks extremely messy and appears I have zero strategy. I have concidered selling all the stuff I hate to get stuff I like but then I would take a loss and be stuck with another item that would be hard for me to sell. I'm concidering just keeping what I have boughtso far and then sticking to generic besides the occasional collector coin but I always get caught in the(but for $3 more an ounce I can get maples or eagles or ATB...but for only $6 more an ounce I can get perth mint but for only $X I can get....and so on.

Moral to this is stacking sucks and I hate everyone for getting me involved in this, the mental stress is overwhelming and only soothed by receiving my next package of pretty metal in the mail....atleast until the regret sets in :p

2. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'll be happy to take any of the stuff you hate at no charge to you :D I'll even throw in a relaxation/meditation CD to help with all that mental stress you're suffering :lol:

3. Nabullion Dynamite

All I need is someone to pat me on the back and tell me everything will be ok :lol:

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Exactly like me. I have the normal stacker stuff, and couple of very nice coins, but also a small box of completely random low-premium silver coins that I occasionally pick up when someone is trying to get rid of their odds and ends and that no sensible stacker would buy. Its actually my favourite box of coins hahaha :) And they are good for giving away to kids.

I have some small hand pours that I really like too. I don't think there is anything wrong with a bit of variety. Its fun.

5. Nabullion Dynamite

Definately loads of fun! For the ones I've grown attached to I've just figured I'll pass them too my kids but then I get the unrational part of me saying*F#$@ that thier my prescious treasures and noone can have them" they will probably end up in a wall somewhere!

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Gotta love the honesty in your post . oz copper has it right imo ditch the stuff you dont like & get stuff u like .

7. Nabullion Dynamite

Okay I will think on it and try to come up with somekind of plan. Ditch the stuff that I really shouldn't have bought, (mostly things at the beginning) 5oz generic buffalo round WTF.

I'm pretty certain from there on I will be buying generic bars and rounds most likely 1 and 10 ozs, and low premium bullion coins(maples, ASEs) during a bargain oportunity and reframe from going crazy with anything else simply because it is pretty. Sprinkle in a few coins to keep in my private stash and I will be set.

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think we've all been there at some stage. I have a separate SDB just for the random crap I've bought. Been meaning to sell it all and swap for more sensible metal but can't bring myself to do it just yet... Too much of a reminder of my excitable stupidity :lol:

9. Nabullion Dynamite

Haha I guess it boils down to Live and Learn. Wouldn't be a problem for me if I had a majority of something and the rest other stuff , but I don't have a majority of anything. Only thing I know I'm doing right is owning silver! Its in there right next to my bags of sorted copper pennies and coin collections....but that is a whole nother issue of its own, one step at a time :lol:

10. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

If you consider it as "random crap" then put it in bags/boxes holding X kilo silver.
    You don't need any majority to do that.
    You can just chose how to divide.
    Based on country, weight, purity, combinations, etc.

People buy "random crap" for the silver, like you did. So maybe a first choice should be purity. Doesn't need to be complex, for ex everything 90+ and everything -90, and then some secondary choices.
    Then later on, whenever, put it for sale like that. "Box with X kilo fine silver in purity 70-90"

And once done, continue that or any other way you want.
    Is this worth named as a 'plan' anyway?
    If I put my socks on I don't need a plan lol.
    Why would a bunch silver coins/bars be different? Your main concern was silver, well just treat it like that?

And make some file listing what you have.
    A simple text file already suffices.
    I did it like this:
    2 * Geiger Edelmetalle, Germany (ordered by Central Bank of Armenia) * 10000 Dram Noah's Ark 2013 * 1 kilo 0.999
    1 * Perth Mint, Australia * Lunar 2011 Rabbit * 0.5 ounce 0.999
    1 * Perth Mint, Australia * Lunar 2011 Rabbit * 1 ounce 0.999
    1 * Perth Mint, Australia * Lunar 2010 Tiger * 1 ounce 0.999
    1 * Perth Mint, Australia * Lunar 2011 Rabbit * 2 ounce 0.999
    1 * Perth Mint, Australia * Lunar 2011 Rabbit * 5 ounce 0.999
    1 * Perth Mint, Australia * Lunar 2011 Rabbit * 10 ounce 0.999
    And some script then sums up total weight as 1 ounce, as 5 ounce etc, and adds it to the text file below.
    Buying more coins = adding or increasing existing.
    It's all little work, just some routine.

11. Pirocco

And by the way, selling at a loss is not like some end of the world, IF you have substantial reason to think that it may make your position better.
    Some statistics once showed that unwillingness to take any (so not even a small) loss is the major reason for ending at the suckers side.
    Correct bad decisions by making better ones, without ending up as the sucker that sells at the biggest loss (i.e. a bottom price).
    If you see it as too late, well just do better, it's better to work towards the green side than to not work.

12. Nabullion Dynamite

Thanks Pirocco, its not too late and I have no reason to sell. I'm just starting to think more seriously about it since I'm no longer playing with only a few ounces. Theres some money here now and I feel I should get organized and have a real gameplan. Buying as much of everything as I can was the origional game plan and I did fairly good with that, now I need to decide what to buy and how/when to sell.

I have been using the Grasp the Wealth" excell spreadsheet and have been doing just as you suggested. Tracking every purchase, ounces, %silver gains/loss's, premiums paid and I know everything I have down to the cent. It just looks much better on that sheet then in person!

I'll probably bag all the Junk silver together by silver weight, thats not a bad idea atall

13. Pirocco

Do you really need to track gains/loss/premiums/etc?
    Because the more you add, the more you work you inflict yourself.
    I never kept record of those things, because I cannot see much use of it.
    Your future won't change by knowing what you paid. It's a past, it doesn't change the future.
    I'd put the time in things that may be more useful, for ex a database of coin pictures. Or for ex if you put some coins in a bag/box, number the bag, take a picture of the coin pile before and after you put them in it, and add that number to the pictures name.
    It's all work that usually has to be done when selling later.
    You can make your futures swaps to other stuff including fiat much easier this way.
    Everything ready, just copypaste from the list, and pictures already at hand.
    Doesnt mean that you shouldn't track whatever, but if the choice is do this OR that, I'd go for doing today already what has to be done in the future anyway.

14. Nabullion Dynamite

I keep track of premiums for specific coins like proofs and the graded coins I have, the premium is basically all of their value.. Everything else that carries small premiums like Lunar Series and stuff I just lump the premium into the cost of the coin itself and the chart shows the % I am ahead or behind. No real work on my part besides keeping track of what I purchased, how many ounces, and how much per ounce. The spreadsheet does the rest and updates everything to spot.

15. short_stack

short_stack Member

Ah a kindred spirit!

I'm pretty much in the same position as you are NB, maybe a couple of weeks ahead. I've started rationalising my stack. Getting rid of all the random bits and pieces I just 'had to have' at the time and converting it to larger bars. I've sold some of the smaller items for a 'loss' in the pure sense ... but hey, in my mind, it's for the greater good. I'm keeping my PM lunars for now, along with the kook's that I've accumulated. About the only thing I can't bear to part with are those bloody Zombucks :/

I'm very much hoping that I've moved past the bower bird phase. I know it won't go away for good, just hoping that I can keep it under control!

16. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm probably going to look at consolidating my stack in a few months and/or when spot rises enough. I've collected crap I really shouldn't have as someone who is in the PM game as an investor rather than a collector. I think stacking perth mint 10oz bars, rolls of kooks and perth mint 1oz gold bars gets pretty boring after a while which is why I've found myself branching out to other things. I'm not attached to any of it really but once I start collecting a particular series I've felt the need to see it through.

17. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Here's the plan. Ignore any other advice, it's wrong.

What you're gunna do is only stack ASEs. You start selling all your other stuff at the best price you can get and convert the return into Eagles. Swap one for one if you can for your lesser stack and try to maximise on your numis. Do not even consider keeping a few special coins.

After a few months you will have an increased stack that will be easy to stack and manage. You will no longer be tempted by any new releases of other coins, you will not need capsules, and best of all, if the S should ever HTF, you have an easy recognisable coin, whereas the other other mugs are going hungry as they busily try to maximise their return on numis. You maximised ahead of time.

This is the difference between a stacker and a collector.

18. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And you can be both of course, but it would be inadvisable to bet the farm on a hobby.

No point taking utilitarianism to the extreme at the expense of some fun with a bit of hedonistic frivolity (unless you're a Puritan of course, not that there's anything wrong with that ;) )

19. Pirocco

There are two scenario's.
    1) People have spare money. That's Life Goes On.
    2) People don't have spare money. That's SHTF.
    What you think will last longest?

20. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Most members here I believe are neither pure blob stackers nor pure (semi-)numi coin collectors, but somewhere in between. If we are to believe that most members here are at least average smarts or better, that should tell us something right off the bat about what precious metals products means to most members here. It's really not that difficult to figure out.

To anyone who questions how to invest their money, look at the world around you today in 2014....try not to imagine we are still living in the Bronze Age nor even the 1970's. The world has changed a lot since both of those times. Look at how populations are socialized today. Look at what most people value today. Look where, in your country, power is concentrated today. Look at where sentiment is heading. Look at how the markets have behaved in recent months / years.

No commodity is a panacea and yet humans tend to harbor herd mentality.