Royal Mint Launches 2015 Year of the Sheep Gold and Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Luker, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Luker

Luker Member

Royal Mint Launches 2015 Year of the Sheep Gold and Silver Coins

August 20, 2014 By Michael Alexander Leave a Comment
    The Royal Mint have launched their latest addition to the series of 12 Lunar coins to be struck for the United Kingdom. The series launched last year with the striking depiction of the Year of the Horse issue, and continues with the Year of the Sheep.

[​IMG]

Known as the Shngxio Collection, the Royal Mint's Lunar coin series reflects the Shngxio tradition, linking each year to one of 12 animals, with the animal traits attributed to those born in a given Lunar year. Celebrated annually in February, it is a time during which it is traditional to exchange tokens and, in particular, gifts of money in red envelopes, symbolizing good wishes for the recipient's health, wealth and prosperity.

[​IMG]

The Year of the Sheep, or Ram, designs are created by British Chinese artist and printmaker Wuon-Gean Ho who designed the 2014 Year of the Horse coins, which were critically acclaimed by avid coin collectors and mainstream media alike. She continues the theme which once again combines both British and Chinese heritage. The Year of the Sheep coin is the second in this auspicious series, and its design reflects characteristics of those born in the year of the sheep, freedom-loving with a passion for company.

Denomination Metal Weight Diameter Quality Mintage
    2 Pounds .999 silver 31.2 grams 38.6 mm. Proof 9888 pieces
    2 Pounds Gold plated .999 silver 31.2 grams 38.6 mm. Proof 4888 pieces
    10 Pounds .999 silver 156.2 grams 65 mm. Proof 1088 pieces
    10 Pounds .999 gold 3.13 grams 16.5 mm. BU 2888 pieces
    100 Pounds .999 gold 31.21 grams 32.69 mm. Proof 888 pieces
    500 Pounds .999 gold 156.29 grams 65 mm. Proof-like 38 pieces

Wuon-Gean's inspiration for the 2015 series are Swaledale sheep, which are a British breed. She also relied on her veterinary experience and memories of the lambing season. Wuon-Gean recalls observing sheep as part of the British landscape in the grounds of Blenheim Palace, on the hillsides of the Peak district and in the rolling Brecon Beacons their presence very much a part of British life.

The obverse of all the coins includes the current portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth II created by sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley and seen on all circulation and several commemorative coins in the UK since 1998.

As the number "8" is considered lucky in Asia, each mintage ends in either one, two or three 8's as is relevant to the coin and expected demand though several of the 2015 series have reduced mintages from last year.

For more information on the Shngxio Collection or to place pre-orders for the coins, please visit this section of the Royal Mint website. Information offered in English international orders dispatched.

http://news.coinupdate.com/royal-mint-launches-year-of-the-sheep-gold-and-silver-coins-4439/

2. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

3. Stax

Stax New Member

Ordered 2 (Silver, gold ones are a bit too steep) earlier today.

They're ready for despatch so I should have them by Saturday.

These are not first strike coins, they're not available from the Mint.

Customer service girl got a bit heated when I commented are they really top "proof" quality, as they're effectively coins 750 onwards (the first 750 going to independant companies for grading then sale at a massive mark up.)

I asked " as they're proofs, should the quality not be the same as the first 750"?
    Response was that they will be.

I've ordered two, and am going to send one off for grading so we'll see if it comes back as MS69 or 70. (It will be sent as I receive it, untouched. I wont even take the capsule out of the presentation box).
    If not I'm intending to cause a bit of a stink, being a Brit, with an account with them.
    A proof coin should be perfect, should it not?
    They bang on about it enough on the web site.

If it does come back as inferior to the first 750 (MS 68 or below), is this not effectively confirmation that the coins RM advertises and sells to the public directly as Proofs, are in essence second rate, as they aren't as good a quality as the first 750, which the public cannot purchase from the RM due to them not being made available.

Hmmmmm.........
    Anyway,
    If they're KAK, they'll get sent back :lol:

We'll see.

Please feel free to disagree with me :) :mad: ?

4. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I actually sent Royal Mint a similar email asking them if the mintage figures published on their product page are the actual maximum mintage or just mintages of limited presentation packagings. No reply from them yet.

The proof 1oz lunar ship was stated mintage of 9,888 on Royal Mint's website.

By the way your coins will come back in PF designation (for Proof), MS are for bullion coins. A proof coin should be perfect, but I have seen milk spots on proof silver coins and those will not get high grades. I still recommend you check the coins before you send them to NGC unless you are chasing for Early Release designation.