Anyone know where I can get custom airtites made for bars ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by monkeynuts, Aug 13, 2014.

1. monkeynuts

monkeynuts New Member

I have a need to protect some custom size bullion bars - 80mm x 40mm x 6mm

None of the standard size cases I can find seem to fit.

These are Casascius physical bearer bars (designed to store bitcoins), and are gold plated. So its acrylic airtite cases I am looking for.

I am assuming it will need to be a custom run, but have no idea of minimum numbers, or upfront costs. Likelyhood is, that I will need to get in bulk and would resell them back at a small margin to the other holders of these.

I know most of you guys arent fans of bitcoin (if you dont hold it, you dont own it ...) but hopefully someone can see past that, and point me in the right direction

2. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From my limited experience...

Gold plated means that it won't tarnish so you would be looking for protection from scratches rather than from the air, so you probably don't need them to be airtight.

I looked into getting some clamshell packaging made, similar size.

Custom vacuum forming mould $3400-$3800 approx
    Die cutting knife $220- $380

Then you need to add the cost of the actual clam shell, for which they want a minimum order, around 1000 from what I can remember.

They expect you to add the cost of the clamshell to whatever product you are selling so you can pass the cost onto the buyer.

You kind of figure that you could use some yourself and sell the rest, but here is the kicker, the company would retain the vacuuforming molds and reserved the right to sell your product along with their own. So any thoughts of selling the remaining items as a business would have to take into account that there is a plastics manufacturing company who can sell them cheaper than you can and they haven't had to pay any of the set-up fees.

I gave the whole thing up as a bad idea but I might revisit it now that 3D printing and 'makers' are taking over from the larger companies.

I also got in touch with Ultra-Pro with the idea but they never got back to me, they might be able to help you though, or Lighthouse, they both have archival quality storage solutions for things you didn't even know needed storing.

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts New Member

Ouch ... this may end up being a bad idea ....

Both setup costs and minimum numbers.

I dont have a product I am selling, I am retrofitting a case to a product already released by someone else. Numbers arent that great though

Do you mind me asking ... where were those prices from ? Was that in Oz ?

Any idea if the one off price and minimum order quantity would be lower in China. (Assume possible risk of quality also being lower as well).

Without a reduction, this will end up being a none starter ......