Saving for a rainy day!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by nbboy1123, Aug 13, 2014.

1. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

Although I've stacked for a while, a new goal I've started is to "save for a rainy day." What I mean by that is I am saving all of my change in a jar from every dollar I break and once it's full I'm going to cash it in to buy something either in gold or silver just for fun. Normally I see coins I'd love to buy, but can't justify the premiums during my normal stacking budget. So the reason I'm telling you this is a fun thought experience. If you had and extra $300 what would you buy that you've been wanting for a long time? :p

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Good strategy I have been throwing my daily coins in a container since i started work many years ago . It adds up . Most times it was enough to pay a bill of some sort & i didnt have to use my pay or savings

3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

If you're seriously thinking about "saving for a rainy day", you should buy the purest, cheapest silver bullion coin - I'd suggest:
    http://www.primevalues.org/hard-assets/canadian-silver-maple-leaf-1-oz-coin.htm

If you're finding it very hard to save and you can rarely save a few hundred dollars a year, then go buy food reserves.
    You'd probably be better off saving on food with your 300 $. With it, you could buy a lot of food to store away. Especially if products are bought at a discount, it would be a bargain.

5. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I also started to do this, but only for the biggest coins, and for another reason: to avoid running out of cash due to silver online shopping.
    Your case is like the opposite, and I wonder whether the dealer will laugh or cry when you arrive there with your jar change.

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I put all my change aside then bag and bank it every few months. It's usually a couple of hundred bucks so yes, it certainly does add up.

(Then again, I use cash a lot. If you're one of those people who buys a 30c ice cream at McDonalds using EFTPOS then that strategy might not work for you).

7. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I've tried saving all mines coins before and I simply can't. First I don't get them very ofted since I mainly use my card and second I'm failry good at estimating whats in there and once it gets around 50$ I can't help but use it. Only change I have saved I had to make part of a collection of somesort like Presidential dollars, state quarters, etc

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I was saving two rolls of Presidential Dollars per President and rolls of state quarters. Then when I figured out the government's goal was to destroy the value of money, I lost interest and spent most of them. I think I kept Washington, Jefferson, Adams & Jackson.

9. Andyt

Andyt New Member

Mate I used to have a bag of spare change thought nothing of it just kept chucking daily change in..... Took to bank and walked away with 512 bucks.... Got myself a 10oz geiger and 10oz horse...
    Now I try to break every note I have just to add change to my new jar

10. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

Lol. Well my credit union has a machine that I can dump my change in and I get it in bills for no fee :). But that WOULD be funny!!

11. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

I also want to add whenever I get rebates I put the money in there too. I look at it as I had already spent it on food or what not so I got my money's worth. The silver after the fact is a pure gift!

12. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Yep, definately do not want to have much lying around, I have one of each president and one of each quarter...so all and all like 40$ in change...don't want to start anymore colloection cause if I get to $50 I may spend it :lol:

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Depends on when that $300 is available. If right now, definitely not blobs (common bars) because I'm convinced that next year will be a steeper drop in the price of silver than we've seen in all of 2014. Instead, with the extra $300 now, I'm liking silver Chinese medals and semi-numis like key date or high grade America The Beautiful 5 oz coins, ASE's, CML's, or Libs. There are limited supplies of these while I can always get blobs any time, anywhere, and at better prices when the market consolidates further.

14. Pirocco

There is a automated fruit machine (if I can translate it like that) that I visit alot for apples, and you can also pay with banknotes, only 2-3 months in the year no apples (end stock previous <> new harvest) and I had the habit to pay with a banknote to get alot coins back. So I can exert some control over my addition rate. Machines to dump change for notes do not exist here, as far as I know. Never saw one, never heard about it. I do know a few people (whose kind of job or hobby delivers alot coins) that regularly visit the local bank for a manual swap.
    I store them in tubes from medical calcium, they are almost filled with 50 2euro coins each, that's easy to count / use later on.
    Yea improvisation rocks. Considering what a plastic tube designed for coins costs, it's not exactly a luxury to find workarounds along stuff that wasn't intended for this.

15. Pirocco

I drove over this post with my lawnmower.

16. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I find sorting and rolling change to be a relaxing thing to do. Maybe I have issues? lol

17. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

On a fun side note, I just cashed in a $4.00 rebate check at the bank at lunchtime and asked for it in kennedy halves for my jar. One of them was a 40% silver! So my jar only gets $3.50, but my stack got another .14789 toz larger!

18. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

I don't take my coins to the bank - I swap them every couple of months for beers.
    Buying pints with 5c pieces keeps the barman entertained for a while :)

19. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I store most of my coins between the cushions of my couch along with pizza crusts, twisties, something that I believe was a vanilla slice and a dead mouse