Silver and Gold investment issues.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by bullionexpress, Aug 11, 2014.

1. bullionexpress

bullionexpress New Member

Hi

I currently have a mixture of gold and silver in a ratio of value to 60% Gold to 40% Silver. Although the silver makes up 90+% of the total OZ.

The gold is all in fractional gold coins. The silver varies from 1/2 oz to 10 oz coins. Alot of the coins are from the perth mint and a number of internationsl mints.

Should I add in some Platinum coins to the mix? However there appears to be no dealers that sell fractional Platinum coins.

The other is I have some recently purchased silver coins 1 oz size from canada and europe but the all have really nasty white spots and large area of blue/white on them. They come to about 10 oz worth of ugly coins. Should I sell them and take the loss and buy new coins from area that dont suffer from this? If I sell them will a bullion dealer buy them for a fair price eg spot or higher.

Lastly I currenly only own bullion coins. What is condsidered better bullion coins or bars in terms of investment value and get the most out of when the tome comes to sell them via a coin shop or bullion dealer?

Thanks

2. Maxwell

Maxwell New Member

I'll buy them all off you for spot.

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Smallest Pt bar I've seen in Aus is 500gr, no true fracs. Maybe email PAMP and ask for a list of fractional PT distributors in Aus, might get lucky.

Dealer would buy them for under spot but put them up for sale here with a few pics and you'll probably get a better price. If it's only 10oz I wouldn't let it both you.

For coins vs bars see this thread. All down to what you want. More silver for your $'s? Go for 10oz+ sized bars of low premium like NTR or OPM. Chance of numi value? Go for low-ish mintage coins in popular series such as Kooks and Lunars. If you expect to sell back to a dealer, easiest to go with bars. You're more likely to get more of your premium back on them than for the coins.

4. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

You can get 1/2oz Pt bars from ABC, but they're not cheap. Someone struggled to offload some 1oz Pt bars on the forum at spot (I think they went to spot -1% to move them) so I'm guessing that's why dealers don't really have fractional Pt bars and coins as the retail market is nowhere near as deep as the Gold/Silver markets. Perth Mint still has fractionals available, but they aren't cheap as they aren't standard bullion coins.

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know Gold De Royale sell 1gr and 5gr Credit Swisse platinum bars but the premiums are unattractive

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. Caput Lupinum

eh, I can't post the name of the dealer without it filtering, are they known to be dodgy or something?

8. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They shall not be mentioned on this forum ;)

9. Caput Lupinum

I can get past the filter but I don't want to get slapped in the back of the head

10. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is an impossibility! Unless you are paying six or seven times more an ounce for silver.

12. bullionexpress

bullionexpress New Member

I just gave a rough estimate of my holdings so I didnt need to disclose publically the value or actual OZ. It was more to give people an idea of what I held currently.

On another persons comment regarding the platinum. I was intending to purchase fractional platinum coins not bars. However it seems the market for platinum is very small and you cant get back any premimum. So basied on the earlier comment Is platinum worth holding at all? Or should I st ack more gold or silver

As to coins vrs bars im still unsure as to which is better in terms of holding value and selling later? I prefer coins from a design and interest point of view. But im concerned about getting the premimums back on sale especally on the silver coins.

13. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

You're not going to get your premiums back on Pt Fractionals, coins or bars unless you're prepared to wait awhile for the right buyer to come to the party. Platinum group metals are too expensive or aren't traded widely enough for most people to just stack. Personally I have some Platinum, but I know it's hard to move quickly if I want a decent price for it.