Demand for previous years American Eagle Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by pinkmanwhite, Aug 1, 2014.

1. moo

moo Member

At the moment you can buy 2014 ase tube (1 tube, not bulk buy) for under $26 an oz with free delivery. Please show me who is selling kooks at $1 more with free delivery in Australia.

I prefer ase at the right price compared to most bullion, semi numi, silver 1 oz coins. I don't see them anywhere near the bottom of my list.

Though for silver I do also mainly stick with bars :)

2. moo

moo Member

Keep up the good work with the site. I'm sure more than just me on SS appreciates the competitive prices on international bullion.

3. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

perthbullion has 2014 kooks for $29.06 and 2014 ASE for $27.92... $1.14 difference. Not sure about the free delivery part.

4. moo

moo Member

Over $3 more an oz than what pinkman white is selling ase for currently. Not including postage. Bit of a difference.

5. pinkmanwhite

pinkmanwhite Member

It is clear after reading all the feedback from this post that American Eagles are the kind of investment bullion that is in between a plain bar, and a collectable product like a Kookaburra and Lunar.

Even though there is limited mintage per year, with no change in design the collectability value is insignificant. However due to their recognisable design and history, they have a very quick turn over ability making them desirable for short term and long term gains.

6. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Even $1 on $24 is 4%. Considering the silver price trend needed to undo inflation purchasing power losses, I'd say that matters enough to play a decisive role in a choice.
    Aside of that, I don't want hundred different pics of a bird on coins that are supposed to store value better than fiat. I didn't go into silver to play on a collectors part of the market, but on the whole of the market. Which % of the population buys silver coins? Which % of that % buys for collector reasons? Buying some Kooks Lunars whatever you like for any reason, or think some others like too for any reason, yes. But in big quantities? No. The extra cost is lost outside that % of that %. Even dealers, precious metals market dedicated nodes, already dig the premium, worsening the liquidity even further.
    I bought silver based on the thought that the central planners will screw up economy further. That's what they do, that's why they exist, stealing. Collector things have a place in a rosy situation where lotsa people have lotsa spare money and care less about the price. Not exactly the situation most of us expect here, I think.
    I also bought some semi numismatic stuff. But the extra cost % on the whole cost of my stack is low enough that it wont change the outcome in any meaningful degree, in any (+ or -) way.
    Most of my stack are Phils. Because I'm EU and they have the euro face value. ASE's are here known well enough to give them a second place. Kooks are here not much sought after, as indicated by dealer stocks that drop very slow. This year I bought some horse kilo lunars. I had several times that they weren't in stock, and that I had to hurry when they were in stock. Kilo Kooks (and Koala's) were never a problem. Things can be different according to region ofcourse. But that's the situation that matters to me.

7. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

That price on ASE's is pretty high over there in Australia. I can get them for $22.30 here in the states. Kookaburras I can buy for $28.00.

8. db23

db23 Member

Curious where you're buying Kooks for $28.00 each. Seems that Gainesville is the lowest price online, but that's only if spending at least $2000 and paying wire fees. Even at that, they're still about $28.35 before those fees, not to mention the higher than average shipping costs from GVC...

9. JMelton

JMelton New Member

Jmbullion had ASE just last week for 2.39 over spot. Any quantity and free shipping. They do that deal quite often but I don't think they ship outside US. Can't get kooks near that price but I'll still get a few for the collection.

10. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

DB23, since I work at the coin shop, I can get discounts. The owner probably buys the kooks for $25 per coin since he buys boxes of those at a time.

11. Stevo

Stevo Member

Talks [resulting from the CCAC proposals in April] that led to the US Mint saying that the design wouldn't be changed... the favoured CCAC Eagle design will now be used for a different US coin in 2015.

So the 2015 ASE's will be exactly the same as every other year... apart from the date on them of course!

12. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I remember I saw a couple dozen pics of candidate designs, what was the favoured one?
    I didn't like alot of them. Mostly because alot digged some/all of the old ideological symbols/words on it.

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I believe the favored new eagle design will be used on an ultra high relief silver eagle coin in 2015 if I remember correctly from the article I read. It will be for a collector silver coin, so bullion purists please step back and away and let the stacker-collectors through.

:)