OPM/NTR Bars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Kalts, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Kalts

Kalts Member

Hi

I am relatively new to stacking and I would like to get some opinions on the OPM/NTR bars. I have seen them at a low margin to spot compared to PM and Pamp bars. In particular the 10oz has been advertised at a low margin and I was wondering if I should pay the extra and get the PM's or get in as low as possible. The other thing is, when I decide to sell are OPM/NTR easy to offload.

Kalts

2. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If there is only a few dollars difference in price between an OPM and Perth Mint bar I would probably go for the Perth Mint
    However if you do decide to go for the OPM brand, then the current spot + $1.50 deal for OPM rounds by BIGs is amazing value.
    He is a member of Sydneystackers, is reliable and honest.

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

*NTR ;)

Yes they're a decent brand and quite well recognized. I bought a few and sold them very quickly when I wanted to offload them. For the extra few $'s I'd still stick with Perth Mint but if you're looking to maximize ounces for the longer term, OPM and others will do you well.

4. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The more premium you pay, the more you need to find a private buyer if the time comes to sell.

Low premium bars and rounds have been the easiest to offload in my experience.

5. Kalts

Kalts Member

Thanks House just read the post again and realised my mistake Ha Ha

6. Kalts

Kalts Member

Bullionmark has the OPM/NTR bars for $234. The PM bars are almost $15 more at other dealers. Thats over 6% difference. I am leaning more towards the savings over the name.

7. Russ4570

Russ4570 New Member

Make sure you review ALL the hidden details with regard to shipping, insurance etc. The price you see on different sights will be vastly different as each has a different way of adding shipping, insurance etc. Some include insurance in the price, Some add it on as a % after the purchase. Some have ridiculous shipping/freight costs.
    $234 may seem cheap. just read all the fine print.
    The cheapest advertised price may end up far from it in the end.
    When you go through all the advertises there will be a few that stand out as better than the rest when shipping, insurance all factored in.
    Of course if you live where you can do over the counter purchases then you are very lucky indeed.
    If you have any skill with Excel do up a table with built in formulas and you can compare all your shortlisted sellers with the input of the spot price. Specials will usually need to be assessed individually. Or buy from trusted forum members. the price is almost always better that shop prices.

8. Kalts

Kalts Member

Thanks Russ, I will take that on board

9. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I wait for lower spots.

There are posts out there, wherein people expressed proudness on their purchases close to spot, when spot was $39.
    Back in 2011, Pirocco was proud on $32 purchases.

JMO. :D

10. Kalts

Kalts Member

I guess I am lucky getting in at the right time :)

11. Kalts

Kalts Member

Is there a way I can edit the post. I would like to change the spelling mistake.

12. moo

moo Member

It may or may not be the right time. Silver could go down to ten dollars after your purchase. Or it could go up to fifty dollars. Would you then sell at fifty to make a profit on a little bit of silver?

It depends why you are stacking and when are you flipping. Are you in for the long haul or the quick gains.

If you buy ntr you are just hoping silver will gradually increase over time. But if you buy unique, rare, collectable, history filled bars, coins and rounds you also have the chance for premiums and rarity to increase. Logic of silver content often goes out of the window for the desire to obtain unique objects.

13. Kalts

Kalts Member

I hope it keeps going down at the moment, the lower it goes the more I can buy :)
    At this stage I am looking more at buying close to spot. As I am not to confident at numismatic stuff just yet. However I have purchased some masterpiece sets close to spot. I have also looked at lunars but a bit hesitant to buy in at 100% over spot. However contemplating whether or not I should buy a few rolls.

14. Stackman

Stackman Member Silver Stacker

For what its worth, heres what KJC says on its website about the silver bars.

NTR
    Perth Mint
    Plus the NTRs come sealed in plastic.

Personally I still find cast bars appealing - each one is unique and there is something satisfying knowing it has been cast with molten metal rather than mass produced by a machine.

15. Ag 47 Silver

Ag 47 Silver New Member

I'm in USA so seeing you guys post prices, I have to remember you're doing it in AUS amounts.

Anyway, the best sale I have come across is 10oz bar at $.69 over spot (that is USD so you guys do the conversion there). I don't buy unless on sale and lower than today. I'm almost at the place to buy more but I'm still sitting on my current stack.

16. Kalts

Kalts Member

That would be $.75 aud. that's a good price I haven't seen anything close to that. I might have to take a trip to the states :)

17. Ag 47 Silver

Ag 47 Silver New Member

I'll post a sale next time. Check out JM Bullion website if you have a moment. I can't buy them and sell them to you at a better price due to shipping but the website might ship to you... not sure.

18. Kalts

Kalts Member

Thanks for the tip. I have emailed them to see if they post internationally, I highly doubt it though.

19. silvermed

silvermed New Member

Cheap silver and good deal. However, I have been to local coin shop and the owner does not pay as much for NTR/OPM bars and rounds as he does for other private brands. Same goes for ebay, they get less of a premium at time of resale. Cheap in, cheap out. Comes down to personal choice.

20. Ag 47 Silver

Ag 47 Silver New Member

APMEX has 10oz bars on sale ($.69 over spot). I'm pretty sure that is about as low as any 10oz bar ever gets over spot. I don't think I've seen lower. The bar is a couple dollars cheaper than the JM Bullion cheap bars but APMEX does charge shipping prices. My only suggestion with APMEX is if you buy from them, make it worth your while.