Liberty dollars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sickboy1031, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

My coin dealer sold me 6 of these at 1.10 over spot per ounce they look just like these but mine say 10 dollars instead of 20 and are 1/2 ounce. I found out the website was forced down by the U.S. government. and the ron paul ones they minted were confiscated. does anyone know anything about these and did I get a good deal? I have been buying some of the fractional rounds because my dealer doesnt charge a higher premium for them and it seems like people pay a lot extra for them other places. also I was sold 2 1/20 coins for 1400 (70 each )per ounce rate is this good for gold this is my first gold purchase. oh while Im asking a million questions i bought 2 gram bars that say Citra and Henri Perce on them for about a buck each. they have little holes with a loop to put them on a chain or something does anyone know anything about these?

sorry I got off topic

[​IMG]
    Source:

2. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd like one of these babies one day. I have been looking out for them, but few have made the trip down under.

3. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

I payed 1.10 over spot for it I could send one to you If you wanted to pay the shipping and the cost of the coin or send me something cool in return like a trade would be neat. I could send mine first then you could check it out and send me something neat back

4. personhead

personhead New Member

i think it was shut down not because it was a scam but they were trying to position them selves as a new currency in america

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I actually have a few of these in a Copper format :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think they're absolutely fantastic myself. A precious metal with a message close to my heart ;)

6. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

Those are awesome I have been putting off reading Atlas shrugged but I love post apocalyptic and dystopian themes so it keeps coming up as recommended places

7. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I think the ones in the first post are called NORFED dollars.

8. Meezzio

Meezzio New Member

I enjoy reading Dystopian fiction too, and also put off reading Atlas Shrugged. Trust me, you should read it - one of the most fascinating books I have ever read.

9. Silver is Money

Silver is Money Member Silver Stacker

Nice coins. I believe these are generic rounds and the 1oz coins usually go for anything between $2 - $4 over spot for smaller lots, so if you paid $1.10 over spot for your 1/2 oz coins you did ok. Silver is silver in any form, so when the SHTF this is what you need.

10. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

since My dealer doesnt charge a special premium for fractional stuff I try to buy it when I can Its fun and then when SHTF I wont have to carry a pair of dikes around to nip my rounds in half

11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The copper rounds are actually American Open Currency Standard (AOCS) "barter medallions" - not Liberty dollars.

The maker of the Liberty dollars essentially got into trouble for promoting them as currency coin. Heaps of info out there on it. I'm a bit suss on the whole scheme.

I think AOCS is flawed due to the use of a "move up" face value - e.g. 1oz silver rounds are currently $50 USD face value, but will jump to $100 USD when the 30 day moving average of silver hits $41.50.

I'd much rather see a precious metals barter system based on weight, not an arbitrary face value that's meant to be used as a "starting point" for negotiations. It's an ounce of silver. There's the face value - 1oz Ag.

Maybe SA should introduce a silver Krugerrand...

12. bungo

bungo Member

I've been thinking about Atlas Shrugged lately too. I'll have to borrow it from my local library. I've heard too many good recommendations, as well as some people calling it "dangerous" and "reactionary" - any book that scares sheeple has to have some worth.

Totally agree. I've heard the main guy behind AOCS on Jack Spirko's The Survival Podcast episode 567, and I had the same concern. Why give a precious metal round an arbitrary "value" of 50 "trade units", when it has a perfectly good value already due to its metal content? I understand they can't call them dollars as the US govt will come down on them like a tonne of bricks, but if I was a retailer the notion of changable "trade units" is much less attractive than the inherent PM worth of the round.

(Incidentally, I can't recommend The Survival Podcast highly enough. Daily listening, and while he sometimes goes off on rants and is very US-centric, for 98% of the time it's a great thought provoking show for anyone interested in non-mainstream preparedness - www.thesurvivalpodcast.com )

13. LibertyDollarNumismatics

LibertyDollarNumismatics New Member

I am a former RCO with the Liberty Dollar I had over 20 merchants in a small country town that took Liberty Dollar I do agree with you somewhat.

I have spent silver for over 30 years in the market place and have found when the silver has a stamped value on it. It becomes much eaiser to spend.
    I have spent American Eagles with a 1.00 value on it and also many forms of bullion NWTT , Sunshine , Golden State mint and many other silver rounds and bars
    I have found most merchants I try to spend in do not know the value of silver so they really have no idea what it is worth when I was spending bullion I was around
    35 to 40% when I would offer the metal. Back in 1999 when I got my first liberty dollar my number jumped to around 65 to 70% and even higher as I built merchant to take them.

The face value never hurt untill silver jumped then fell way back no one wanted to turn back in the 50.00 base for 20.00 base and most of my merchants then said they would only take the 50.00 base at closer to spot value. funny thing is when silver was 6.00 an oz it was no problem spending a 10.00 liberty or when silver was 9.00 an oz no problem spending a 20.00 liberty only when it fell back this is my 2cents worth. I still spend silver just not Liberty Dollar stuff (it sell for more on ebay)

Jeff

14. wilkes

wilkes Member

These liberty dollars have extremely small mintages. Most coins had no more than 1000 and many have far less...

I own a few and plan on buying as many as possible. I buy near spot for awesome history and amazing numismatic potential.

15. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just got 9 x 1oz Liberty Dollars of different varieties from Dave Gillie in the US :)

Cant wait till they get here, I have only just started collecting these and now I want them all :/

16. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Funny you should say that! I have quite a few coming from Dave too. He is great to deal with, and I like his prices most of all. He must be scratching his head, and dumbfounded by the amount of norfeds he is sending to Australia. :D

17. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have to agree with you on the prices and I think for the money I dont think there is better buying ANYWHERE in the world.

Bang for your buck these have huge potential, there is alot of hype about pandas making big gains in the future and I do agree with that but Liberty Dollars are sleeping IMO
    and totally under valued. I would like to know what other series of any 1oz .999 silver coin in the world with a limited mintage of 1000 coins that you can buy for around $100 or in some cases less.

Can anyone on Silver Stackers answer that ???????

Then you add the history and story behind it and to me it just spells "OPPORTUNITY"

Dave would be scratching his head I think lol but at least they will be safe here if the FBI want them