Re-Mint of Black Dragons?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Jul 12, 2014.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

These black dragons seem to be popping up everywhere. These look especially inexpensive at Gainesville, considering I paid 179.00 back in the day. Geesh. LOL. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Although, I may buy one to dollar cost average. :) But then again, I promised myself, no more fancy coins, just go for low cost, high quality bullion...so I will probably pass, and hope these increase some from the 94.00 dollar level. :)

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/pro...-silver-dragons-berlin-coin-show-special.aspx

[​IMG]

edit: heck, I couldn't resist. I had to buy one more so I don't feel so bad buying one at 179.00. LOL.

p.s. I just realized I should have put this over in the Lunar section, sorry about that.

2. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

$179 was the release price??

3. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Release price was the $94 or w.e. but it spiked up really fast for the black dragon. I'd consider picking this up if Gainesville delivers within a week of ordering as I'm in the states this coming week, and won't be back until September.

The Estimated Shipping: $11.25 also throws me back as I know shipping this would cost <$3 within the US using the USPS service they're offering, or at most $5.25 with a small flat rate...

4. barsenault

heck, with this purchase, my average is now 140, which is a bit better. These are still going for a pretty penny on eBay. The ones with the package, and COA. It looks like they are minting some with out the box and the COA...those don't count in my book. hehehe

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...r+coin&_nkw=black+dragon+silver+coin&_sacat=0

5. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Nearly all US online gold/silver dealer's shipping prices are based on content value, not weight.

6. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Even if you insure through USPS directly, it's an extra $2.60 for $100 of insurance.

Basically putting it to something like $2.50 + $2.60 = $5.10 shipping costs. Most dealers who send parcels insured though use third party companies like UPic, etc. which costs pennies on the dollars to what I pointed out.

7. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Any reason why these have a higher demand than all the other color dragons?

8. barsenault

Hey iluvbeanz...I love them too...beans that is. LOL. But I do like these black dragons. I'm not sure why these have 'more love' than the others. I have read that a lot of folks just like the red on black colors, and that it was a show special at the Berlin coin show. I know folks don't like color coins...or most folks don't, but these are very nice...from my eye view. :)

9. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

I personally just find them to look the best, followed by the lighter blue/white one.

10. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I think what you are seeing is a lot of the Colored sets broken up and sold off

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Hi Barsenault, don't feel badly about paying too much for coins...I doubt there's anyone here in this or any other coin/stacker forum who buys silver coins who hasn't had a similar experience. When I was fresh into stacking in the fall of 2012, I made the big mistake of buying into the hype of the time of the ugly Perth Lunar 2 Dragon bullion coins. I paid the high going prices then on a couple of 1 and 10 ounce plain bullion coins. Granted, since I only bought a few of these coins that I didn't loose a ton of money, but still in terms of cost averaging for Perth Lunar Dragon bullion coins, it was a bad buy. I never liked the 2012 Perth Lunar Dragon design and purchased only because I naively fell pray to the hype. So I don't even get any enjoyment out of owning these fugly dragons.

There are other coins I have over paid for but at least with those, I like the design and enjoy owning the coins.

Today I try to stay clear of the hype and I buy coins that I can enjoy even if they loose value / over paid for them.

So, if you like the black Lunar Dragons, then consider your loss not a total loss. I hope this is of some consolation. :)

12. barsenault

Thanks for the choice words of wisdom. I find it amazing how with experience, discussion, input, and evolution of thought process, our 'tastes' change...or perhaps our/my view point. I'll always be attracted to the exquisite detail of many medals and coins, especially from China, and still may by on occasion, but not to the same level I had been doing so. i.e. 13, 2013 panda china expo medal; or 12 of the 2014 panda expo medal or 4 of the Dalian or Lohan, etc...I just fall in love with the beauty, and I know there is nothing wrong with it. However, I don't wan to fall so madly in love with a 'hunk' of metal that when the time comes to sell, I don't because of my emotion, and ride the roller coaster down to low ball prices. For me, it is still a game (short and MOSTLY long term) of how much will I be able to sell 10, 15, 20 years down the road, you know? I'm not buying this stuff for kicks and giggles. Sure, I will pass down some of the beauties to my kids, but most will get sold off AT SOME POINT...and when that time comes, I really need to set aside the emotions. Some of these medals may appreciate very nicely in the future, and some may not, and that is the gamble. But lately I've gone back to stacking. over the last few weeks I bought six 1 kilo coins. Lunar and Kooks...1.79 over spot. I will continue to stack these fine coins, because for me they look nice, they're cheap, they have low mintage, they are popular, and they are govt issued, and recognized around the world...and they're cheap. :) I just can't justify paying 15, 20 and higher over spot (in many cases), unless I'm simply marveling over the art...and detail...and hopefully someone will feel the same way as I do when the time comes for me to sell...at higher prices...many years down the road. :) Well, thems are my thoughts for the day.

13. Silver91

Silver91 Member

any chance of getting these in oz?
    thanks

14. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It's indicating on the page "SOLD OUT"

15. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Can't see the price anymore. Did gainesville just have them for $94 before selling out?

16. barsenault

Yeah, they sold out, I should have bought the lot of 6 they had left. Oh well. They were going for 94.00.

17. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Were they proof coins? I thought they were just bullion coins

18. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Proofs for sure