ProvidentMetals

Discussion in 'Silver' started by thewontonsoup, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

My experiences (a good number of smaller orders over the last couple years) with Provident have been good---bombproof packaging; merchandise in good condition; not split-second shipping, but totally appropriate and acceptable shipping time frames---and I'm half the width of the continental US away from them. My experience with JM was the exact opposite---they were slower than a glacier. When I called JM up and gave them a realistic view of their operating speed, some unapologetic young tart with a stridently GFY attitude told me they fill a lot of their orders by getting the ordered goods from other sources and then shipping them out to their customer who placed the order with them. Since that time, I've seen a lot of unfavorable comments about JM in other forums and all over the internet in general.

That one JM experience was the last time I've used those slugs and it'll remain so for as long as I live. The bad news market we've been in for a while now is hard on vendors, and we've seen a couple go under in the last couple years---Precious Metal House and more recently Tulving. I won't be shocked if other smaller, marginal players go under as well and I wouldn't be amazed if it happened to JM.

These days, I avoid vendors who're known for inordinate shipping delays and snotty, customer-unfriendly so-called "customer service." In my book, JM is in the top 3 of that list because of my bad experience with them.

2. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

When I pay Provident by check it can be three weeks from order to arrival. That's the price you pay for not using a wire. Wire transactions usually show in about a week. Not that big of a deal unless you are looking to do some quick flipping. I have also been told that if I can't get the check in the mail by the next day, just give them a call & let them know. I believe this is called "chill & laid back" in USA. At least it works both ways. Apmex is crazy fast, I love dealing with them on Ebay (free shipping) if making a small order. -bw

3. Kimber74

Kimber74 New Member

JMBullion has always been the fastest for me but I have placed two small orders with Provident and had my order within a week.

4. thewontonsoup

thewontonsoup New Member

Just ordered from JMbullion last night and its already being shipped today but yet still processing for Provident. +10 points for JMbullion -10 for Provident.

:D

5. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

You sure about that? This says otherwise:

http://youtu.be/oezUUt7tgrE?t=1m41s

6. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Anyone for popcorn. It's nice and hot with lots of butter. :)

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I also had a bad experience with Provident where they jammed some silver bars into an already full vcr sized box so that the top bulged out. Not chance the bars would be damaged right? :rolleyes: Provident wouldn't take the bars back.

8. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

I have also had problems with them shipping wise. When I bought the latest zombucks coin, it actually came out cheaper than if I were to have bought with provident.

9. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

I am a dozen orders in. I have never had an under packed delivery. Most of their stuff is in a baggie, in a manila bubble envelope, in a white shipping envelope in a butcher paper stuffed USPS box. I have personally transported Trauma Patients less secure than their shipping. -bw

10. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok, ok, I've ordered from Provident plenty in the past couple years and never had a problem either. :lol: So there's my two cents worth.

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

lol ...cracked under pressure :p:

12. aceirus

aceirus New Member

Ok this topic is important to me. I will be travelling to the States for a business trip for only week and I plan to order some zombucks from Provident. I intend to pay by credit card and will be staying in Austin, TX which is in the same state as them. Wonder if I can get my order delivered within 3-4 days? Anyone knows?

13. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If its that important you would contact the seller instead of putting it on here. :rolleyes:

14. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

What about buying the coins while in Australia and having them shipped to your address in Austin or the address of someone you know in Austin?

15. thewontonsoup

thewontonsoup New Member

Ok since I actually called the other day and was a bit upset at them they said their "normal" processing time for credit/debit cards is 3 to 5 business days but can reach longer. So my order from JMbullion shipped 1 day after I ordered it and they did 2 day shipping on it. (thank you JMbullion. Provident metals shipped on the 10th of July and I ordered on the 1st. I understand the 4th of July + the weekend but I do not understand the rest of the time.

Their excuse was they were "busy".

I know someone said on this thread why should I worry if the price is locked in at the time of checkout but its the fact that all companies should have good reliable shipping and service. I also want it in my hand asap who wouldnt. ^-^

16. aceirus

aceirus New Member

Well, their website stated 3-4 days. But you are right to suggest to simply ask them. However I have the feeling they will tell me the same thing :rolleyes:

17. aceirus

aceirus New Member

I stay in Singapore :) I need them to deliver to the hotel where I am staying so I wont know the room number until i arrived and checked in

18. thewontonsoup

thewontonsoup New Member

I work in a hotel and in most cases call the hotel prior to ordering say you will be sending a package with your name on it and you would like it to be put in your room prior to checkin.

Keep in mind they are signing for it....
    I wouldnt do a huge order then.

19. aceirus

aceirus New Member

Good advice. Thanks! :)

20. thewontonsoup

thewontonsoup New Member

Also keep in mind if the package shows up after you check out the hotel can always send it to you internationally. Of course there is a lovely service charge usually attached but atleast you will have your goods.