2014 P Tuvalu Silver American Buffalo 1oz High Relief Proof

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by lostwords, Jul 6, 2014.

1. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Just got an email from Talisman about this coin. Don't see it on Perth web page. Mintage is 5000. Is it sell exclusively to Silvertowne and Talisman?

2. picturefun

picturefun Member

could be, PM site does NOT have this coin. That would mean, T is lying again:) which I am NOT surprised.

[​IMG]

Another thing to keep in mind, they are very possibly cherry picked, good ones sent for grading, sell the leftover cheaper.

3. Silva-Sheep

Silva-Sheep New Member

Surely this couldn't be a perth mint coin... Why would they put an American animal on an australian coin?.. I can't see the 'P' mint mark anywhere either.. And only on some bullion coins or proof coins with the bullion design on it do they put weight and purity on the front. But with that said I think it is a nice coin and would consider buying it if I lived in the US.

4. lostwords

lostwords New Member

It is Perth Mint coins. It seems to be the same as the one it did earlier this year for SilverTowne: American Bald Eagle

[​IMG]

5. db23

db23 Member

Perth has reached a new level of pathetic. Maybe the US Mint should start making Australian Kangaroos?

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yeah, and Talisman is calling it the 'stealth release.' Too dang funny. No thanks. They gotta pay the bills. :D

7. thewontonsoup

thewontonsoup New Member

Why the hell would they make an American based coin???

8. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

uuuuuuuuumm money :lol:

9. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a business. Probably a private commission.

10. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the heads up! I am collecting all the 1oz high relief coins I can find, so this looks like a good addition to add even though the design is not so beautiful. The eagle is much more beautiful.

I have emailed my friend in the US, hopefully he can order one for me :)

11. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

A large majority of Perth Mint customers are from US. This makes smart business sense. Probably why they are not marketing it here at all.

12. chrissilver

Doesn't seem to be much love for this coin? I think it's going to be like the 2014 koala, looks ugly in the pics. But in the flesh it's not a bad looking coin.

13. db23

db23 Member

I think the problem is putting an "AMERICAN Buffalo" on a coin made by an Australian mint and placing yet a third countries legal tender on it.

14. chrissilver

What's wrong with that? We live in a global economy.

15. db23

db23 Member

Like I said before, It's like the US Mint creating a coin with an Australian Kangaroo or Australian Koala on it and putting $1 USD on it.

At least use animals that are native to the country you're creating coins for...

16. Silva-Sheep

Silva-Sheep New Member

I'm gonna have to agree with everything db23 has said so far.

17. lostwords

lostwords New Member

They did the same thing for the American bald eagles and it is doing not too bad.

18. Luker

Luker Member

Can't say that I like the design of the American Buffalo. I do have the 5oz piedfort "American" Bald Eagle and think that its' design is far superior. I get what db23 is expressing about this "Citizen of the World" coin with seemingly no nation-state allegiance. As I thought about it I remembered seeing a recent Canadian (RCM) issue of the "American" Bald Eagle and I had to look it up on their website. They are in fact not naming the $100 for $100 release coin "American" , but merely Bald Eagle which I believe is correct. I am no taxonomist but in fact the Bald Eagle has a geographical range throughout North America and seems to be as prevalent in Canada (from what I've read, it likes to pair up and do the nasty up here in Canada, and then head to warmer climes for the winter months, which methinks is a pretty good lifestyle/philosophy). Thus , if anything the coin should be named the North American Bald Eagle. In any event, some interesting facts I came across on Wikepedia:

"Bald eagle nests are often very large in order to compensate for size of the birds. The largest recorded nest was found in Florida in 1963, and was measured at nearly 10 feet wide and 20 feet deep."

and

"Contrary to popular legend, there is no evidence that Benjamin Franklin ever publicly supported the wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo), rather than the bald eagle, as a symbol of the United States. However, in a letter written to his daughter in 1784 from Paris, criticizing the Society of the Cincinnati, he stated his personal distaste for the bald eagle's behavior. In the letter Franklin states:[4]

For my own part. I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen the representative of our country. He is a bird of bad moral character. He does not get his living honestly ... besides he is a rank coward: The little king bird not bigger than a sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the district."

Hmmm...prescient analogy ...

Happy CANADIAN Thanksgiving!

Cheers,
    Luker

19. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

Nope, they just stooped even lower......

[​IMG]

20. Luker

Luker Member

If the Perth Mint was gonna do a deal like that then they should have done a deal with the devil and gone with Satan Claus!....would look good beside by Chinggis Khaan...perhaps Silver Bullet Silver Shield beat them to the offer..ha!

Who is Satan Claus you ask?...well I am glad you asked:

"The Satan Claus (Diabolus claustrum) is a monster straight from the depths of hell.

It is a demon sent by Satan himself to reap the souls of those unlucky enough to be caught in his gaze. The beast impersonates jolly ol' St. Nick and climbs down chimneys every night. He inspects the place in search of food. If a human or animal is seen, the demon mauls them and devours their soul. He then leaves in search of other victims. Like a vampire, Satan Clause hates the sunlight and scampers off at dawn. Victims can range from any age and any gender. Why it poses as Santa is unknown, but it may be so that it seems harmless. "

p.s.Satan Claus would surely steal that Silver Santa Coin from your stocking, and leave fiat dollars in its place....as he is smart enough to know that a lump of coal is more valuable and would cost him more..

[​IMG]