Advice Please -Where To Sell?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Tracey66, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Tracey66

Tracey66 New Member

Hello,

I've inherited some silver bars and coins from my late father which I have no desire to keep. I was hoping someone on this forum could offer me some help with regards to selling them please? What I have is:

1 x 500g Bar with 9995+ and an ABC stamp
    2 x 1000g Bars with 9995+ and an ABC stamp
    1 x 20 oz Bar with 999 and a Perth Mint Stamp
    9 x 10 oz Bars with 999 and a Perth Mint Stamp

There are a few zip lock bags with various silver coins in them. Some of the bags have .925 per cent written on them, and a couple have 900 and 800 per cent written on them. There is 12kg of silver in total (including the bars) which I've posted pictures of....

As I said, I really haven't got a clue how or where to sell all of it, and would be very grateful for any assistance. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Tracey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where are you located?

Sell them on here for the best price. As you're new and have no trading history you may have to post first and receive payment once they've been received.

Other options include selling to a local dealer where they'll buy for under spot and you'll receive less $'s but it would be much easier to sell it all in one go.

eBay is a bit of effort and fees would probably be about $1,500+ if you find buyers, regardless of what price you sell for.

And buzz the 20oz depending on price :)

3. silverflash

silverflash Member

Hi Tracey

Your father had a nice stack. You could take to bullion shop and bulk sell if you just want an easy way to get rid of the silver. You will not get the best price but it would be easy. You could sell on these forums in the sale section or on ebay/gumtree if you desired. Just be aware with no prior sales history others would want you to take the risk over them, but you could end up with more money.

Use silver spot price to get a general idea of what you are selling for or try looking up what other people are selling them for on ebay etc :)!

Hope this info helps.

4. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My advice would be to sell them here over the other options like ebay, dealers, Gumtree. Those members with a high number of transactions would be small risk (check their feedback comments) You can offer them in the 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' sub-section of this forum - click on 'Index'
    You can send by plat express post and charge the buyer the postage, or arrange face to face exchange (f2f) in your area.

Someone's got to say it - so are you sure that you want to sell? Opinion is highly divided, silver as an investment might go lower, or in the next few years much higher.

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Since you're new to this and just want to settle this easily, I suggest you post the city where you live and someone will direct you to a reputable dealer who will buy it all at a fair price.

It's painful to lose a parent and my sympathies go with you. There are a number of dealers on this forum who will treat you fairly and honestly.

6. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome and well done on loading photos on your 1st post.

we need to know are you near a capital city?

Australia is a BIG place.

Sure you do not want to keep some for memory's sake?.

Just curious, but was the Silver mentioned in a will or was there a treasure map?

Sorry you lost a loved one, but he left you a lovely legacy.

Good luck and looking forward to your reply.

7. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

sell them here. put each bar a few dollars lower than the online sellers (eg perthmint.com) and they will be sold in no time. but u might have to post out before u get your money because of your lack of feedback.

8. Tracey66

Tracey66 New Member

Thank you all so much for your quick replies and advice.

Firstly, I live in Toowoomba, Queensland and have no idea if there is a bullion shop here, although I doubt that there is. I did consider selling on eBay, but as House pointed out, there would be high fees (eBay & PayPal) associated with that method. I also considered Gumtree, but I think I'd be a bit uncomfortable having strangers come to our house. I can understand that as I'm new here buyers would want me to post the silver first and then receive payment, but that's something I would have to think long and hard about.

Finicky, keeping the silver isn't really an option, as we were left with Dad's funeral expenses and would like to recoup that money....

House, can I ask what you meant by "buzz the 20 oz depending on price"?

Silverflash, your advice was most helpful, thank you.

JulieW, thank you for your advice and kind condolences.

ego2spare, Thank you also for your advice.

boneyard, Toowoomba is a 2 hour drive from Brisbane, and no, there was no treasure map lol. My father passed away very suddenly and very young (67) leaving no will and no provisions for his burial. We actually found the silver amongst his personal effects (locked up in a box). It was quite a nice surprise!

Again, thank you all for your help, it is very useful and very much appreciated!

9. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Plenty of eager Forum members would shoot out from Brisneyland to Toowoomba. Meet up at a cafe or other public place to do the exchange. Just check out forum sponsors and sell at a bit under their price and people will be clamouring to buy

10. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

Fellow member Greg Williams may be able to provide assistance or advice as he's also in Toowoomba.

House's buzz means he is interested and has signified 'first dibbs' with the buzz term. He is a reputable member of the forum and would be one option to sell via the forum.

11. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Never give your home address to anyone from the internet. Ever! I always suggest conducting business in a bank due to the security measures in place. You show the buyer the goods and they deposit the cash to your account on the spot. Public places are also good but I believe still too risky in this situation.

Means I'm interested in buying it if you end up selling separately :)

Ainslie have a bullion store in Brissy- https://www.ainsliebullion.com.au/ContactAinslie.aspx
    As do CGB http://www.citygoldbullion.com.au/contact-us
    and possibly BullionMark- http://www.bullionmark.com.au/contact.html

Call them all and see what kind of prices they'll offer. Easiest and quickest way by far but you may lose out on about $1k so if you're not in a rush to sell, use their prices as a base. At spot, 14kg is worth about $10k'ish

12. Tracey66

Tracey66 New Member

Thank you Nugget and badhammy, that's very helpful and I'll look into doing just that!:)

13. Tracey66

Tracey66 New Member

Thanks for that also House :)

14. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Tracy post a pic of some of the coins ..sounds like theres a few kilos of coins ? There might be some gems in there that are worth far more than silver price

15. Htu08

Htu08 Member

I'd love to buy some of the coins if possible, pending transaction details and price!

16. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

Your father obviously thought ahead and left you with something of value, possibly for such an eventuality of his passing and costs involved. Very sorry to hear this sad news. I'm very new to this silver thing and can assure you that selling separately to investors would get you a far larger selling price than selling to a dealer, even across fleabay with fees.

17. Tracey66

Tracey66 New Member

Yes, I'll post pictures of the coins as soon as I can :)

18. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Firstly Hi Tracey and sorry for your loss.

With all due respect Im guessing that you wish your Father had left a will and made arrangements for his own burial rather than having to deal with trying to sell his 14kg of metals to cover costs.

19. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

So what would have happened if there was no metal?

20. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I travel between Toowoomba and Brisbane every weekend and I would be happy to organize a group buy if Tracey does decide to sell.
    That way Tracey gets the best price and unloads all her silver in one go and doesn't have to worry about the logistics of packing and sending metal all over the country. I don't want anything just happy to help.