20 for 20 UK Second Coin in Series on sale

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jislizard, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Outbr...in?promocode=E1590A&__ja=tsid:38667|kw:E1590A

For those interested I just got the special offer via email. They are limited to 5 per household but for the next 24 hours special people (mugs who bought them last time) can get 10.

Last year they were limited to three per household and then the limit was raised to 10. They took a few months to sell out as well.

For silver content they are not cheap, for swapping 20 of paper money (soon to be plastic) for 20 in silver coinage it is not so bad. Free postage in the UK as well.

2. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Just to clarify some of the above points.

You need to buy 3 for free shipping in the UK, as it needs to be over 45.

They took more than a few months to sell out, in fact it was almost a year before they finally sold out.

This is also not a new design, it has been seen on other coins from the RM.

"The mugs that bought them last time" are selling these on eBay for a profit, up to 50% profit before fees. Doesn't sound like a bad return to me.

3. Silva-Sheep

Silva-Sheep New Member

I love the design!

4. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

When are these on sale?

5. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Now.

6. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

Excellent :D

7. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

To be fair it's only on a recent, proof 5oz coin at the Royal Mints traditional bargain prices...

8. Jislizard

Not bad, I ended up buying 10 after they raised the limit.

I have only sold one, but it was to a fellow coin club member so I only charged him 20. The rest I am just going to sit on and see if I can't build up a couple of complete sets, or at least, some ongoing sets!

Glad to see they are realising a profit so soon after selling out, after the sluggish start and the desperate raising of the limit I figured that they would be a bit of a lame duck.

This typr of series is popular with collectors in Canada but reception from normal people is not that positive (Shops won't accept them, some banks won't accept them) and the reception from stackers isn't that positive (paying 20 for 7? worth of silver) so even though the face value is nice and high for a stop loss they are still fighting an uphill struggle.

The first design was popular with coin collectors, this one is quite decent as well.

It is shaping up to be a fairly decent series, as long as they don't flog it too hard. Canada is bringing out four a year, I doubt my budget could keep up with that if I kept with the 10 coins, but I could probably go for four sets a year.

9. bring-the-silver

bring-the-silver Member

Sadly the only silver coin worth buying from the royal mint as the rest have ludicrous premiums which seldom qualify the quality of the coins..

Still not a bad idea, I guess the intention is to get more people interested in silver by offering a 1-1 deal where the customer can't really lose out and they'll be likely to come back and purchase some more over priced silver.

Terrible deal in terms of bullion but assuming the pound doesn't crash any time soon it is still quite a nice investment. The value they're gaining doesn't hurt either

10. lostwords

lostwords New Member

People gotta stop comparing the price of Bullion and NCLT coins. NCLT coins will never be charge at spot price. Even if the NCLT coin looks like garbage and no one wants it, it still be selling above melt value.

11. Jislizard

Bullion isn't charged at spot price either.

Most people understand that there is a cost involved in turning silver into a coin, distribution and marketing and the cost of the fancy packaging and certificates.

Most people are happy to pay a reasonable amount to cover these cost.

Most people are also happy to pay a bit extra for coins minted in limited numbers.

But, it is also fair to point out that many of the Non Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) sell far below their issue price when they hit the secondary market.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-from-overpriced-souvenir-coins-6294131.html

But it isn't just the new issues which are overpriced...http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/wealthwarning.html

Looking at some of the recent coin guides in Australia you can see the same thing, NCLT coins from previous years with catalogue values well below issue price, and only showing slight increases when the silver spot was rising.

No one minds paying a bit extra for a fancy, limited edition in a nice box, but people know when they are being taken advantage of.

While buying my20 coins I saw a set of London landmarks http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/news/portrait-of-britain I figured they would be a bit pricey but they were about twice what I would consider paying.

Then add the fact that they are selling a collector album for circulating coins, they have a couple out, a nice idea which I think a lot of countries have. Except for the Royal Mint's offering, when you finish filling all the spaces with coins you will find a space left over. This is where you put the 'completer medallion' a pointless medallion which will set you back an additional 3 on top of the 5 album. In my mind collecting the coins to get a full set is enough of an achievement, having an empty space in an otherwise complete album is just annoying.

They are a business like any other and they need to make enough to cover cost, employ workers and make a profit. It is just a shame that they have priced themselves above what I am willing to pay, fortunately there are many other mints around the world so there is no need to stay 'loyal' to one particular mint or series.

As with most NCLT, you buy it if you like it, if you buy it to speculate on price rises you might get burnt.

12. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Picked up 3 of these to go with my 3 series one (though not yet in my possession). Seems pretty low risk and are nice enough. Hopefully they take off and the earlier releases go up a bit as the new collectors look to grab the ones they missed out on.

13. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I got my first 20 for 20 (St. George and the Dragon) but was rather disappointed with its strike and finish especially when I got to compare it with my 2013 Royal Birth coin.

At 250,000 mintage they are not as "limited edition" as I hoped. When the first 20 was released Royal Mint limits 3 per customer, then increased to 5 or 10, then at a later stage removed the purchase limit... I am still hesitating whether to get this second release. :rolleyes:

This is a photo I took comparing the first release against the Royal Birth coin. Yes the Royal Birth coin is priced 4x more than the 20 but it is a much superior coin in terms of appearance.

[​IMG]

14. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

well yeah but the 4x price is significant. I figure its low risk due to the face value on it, but of course getting it to Australia usually adds cost, either in conversion fees, shipping, or just time/effort.

15. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Don't forget that the royal birth coin is 1oz. Bigger surface area than the 1/4 oz

16. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

the 20 is 1/2oz silver, not 1/4oz... not complaining much at this price point just saying Royal Mint could have delivered at least Brilliant Uncirculated quality instead of bullion quality. The 20 has similar finishing as 2013/2014 Britannia silver bullion coins.

17. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member