Anyone else have this debate?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Jun 19, 2014.

1. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Same for me. Bought some 2010 1oz Panda sheets in latter 2010. But when I bought a 2010 1oz gold Panda, I became highly stressed over whether or not it was real. The stress wasn't worth any potential gain, especially when gold and silver lunars had similar premiums.

2. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

From an investment standpoint, the pandas will win hands down. Even though people say that the mintage of eight million coins is a lot, there are far more people that buy pandas then the kooks. From a mintage standpoint, I would say the kooks. For example, a 1990 kookaburra had it's mintage maxed out at 300,000. For the 1990 panda, the mintage was 200,000, but only 97,000 are known to still possibly be around (with its plastic pouch intact and the coin not taken out of it).

The price of a 1990 kookaburra is roughly $35-$55.
    The price of a 1990 panda is around $135-$175.

Also to note, the "key" coin for the kookaburras is of course, the 2008 with a price tag of around $55-$75
    The "key" date for the pandas is the 2000 with a price tag of $230-$450 (pretty wide variation...depending on if you get the "frosted" or the "mirror" version as well.

Clearly pandas have stood the test of time. BUT on the other hand, kookaburras are easier on the wallet!

3. Silva-Sheep

Silva-Sheep New Member

The only reason the prices of kookaburras are down is because of the remints, once the dealers sell out of them and new stackers who haven't heard of the remints come into the game they will start increasing in value again. If you guys keep telling people about reminted kookaburras and how they destroyed the series; they won't increase value.

4. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who really cares about re-mints anyway? the guys that bought the initial release? boohoo, they bought then knowing very well that the maximum mintage was 300,000 coins.

So they didn't sell all 300,000 coins in the early years, or even make all 300,000 coins, but when the market got big enough it was worthwhile
    bringing the kook's closer to 300,000, don't forget they now make 500,000 kooks so there is always a 200,000 coin shortage, the higher premium will not be lost regardless what shaped capsule it's in.

2008 kooks sold out, 300,000 minted, 2009 sold out, 300,000 minted, 2010 sold out, 300,000 minted, 2011 sold out, 500,000 minted.
    And every year since has sold out, all 500,000 kooks.

The only one's here who keep baning on about re-minted kook's never had any to begin with, just jealous.

5. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Yeah, jealous. Good grief :rolleyes:

6. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

It isn't jealousy, it is distrust of the PM. As I understand, Kook premium percentages were very high back in the early days. The PM established a pattern of not minting Kooks up to the full mintage and then decades later, reminted the older coins. This policy change happened in the same time period that the PM took advantage of dragon mania to violate the Lunar mintage limits with privy coins, sets, etc.

The backlash was severe and the damage to the PM's reputation was significant. It will take years for the PM to rebuild its reputation. The next bull market in pms will cleanse all the prior sins of most mints as the long term owners will be happy with higher prices and there will be an influx of newbies that aren't aware of the history.

7. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

And yet the Perth Mint is still making privy kooks, and privy lunar coins......to me, the Perth Mint is done for IMO.

8. Wafdawg

Wafdawg Member

Pandas win hands down. No contest. I'm actually surprised barsenault you put that up for discussion.

9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I would agree, except that they still seem to be selling all issues like hot cakes. No slowing down. Sellout in all versions. Heck, I wish everyone would stop buying the issues, and leave them all for me, keep the declared mintage down, and I can make fortune. Can you help me accomplish that goal? hehehe.

10. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I would agree, except for the major issues I've personally experienced with white spotting on Pandas from 2010 on...and it's ruined any premium in a resale...I think it's getting worse on the china panda bullion. IMHO. Hence, why I've limited my buying of the bullion. If I was absolutely confident that I wouldn't experience this issue, as I am of the Perth coins, I'd be buying more Pandas. I find myself always going back to old faithful...the Perth Mint. I've very little issues with their coins, and I have more than a few. :)

11. Wafdawg

Wafdawg Member

Where do you store your bullion? Is there a lot of moisture? Have you tried desiccant packets? None of my pandas have the WSOD.

12. swisswatches

swisswatches New Member

Wafdawg, you have the coolest collection of graded pandas I've seen on YT. Congrats on having such good taste in coins! I almost have all the ms69/70s from 2000-14 now, just working on the 80s 90s era next, that will be pricey!

13. swisswatches

swisswatches New Member

Yep, but Pandas win even more! Haha. If you had stacked Pandas every year from 1990 instead of Kooks, your net worth today would be far higher no doubt.

14. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Privies are a marketing gimmick for the purpose of increasing sales while adding no legit value to a series. That's how I see it. I do not and will not buy coins with privies because of this...I won't support that type of behavior from a mint.