One Tonne Gold Shipment into China Contained Just Worthless Metal

Discussion in 'Gold' started by House, Jun 7, 2014.

1. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ho Li Shit! But at least they know where the copper and aluminum went :p

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Ma biznis partners

[​IMG]
    Source: 419scammersexposed.com

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

GEEZ!

Ya cannot trust ANYONE nowadays!

OC

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Some guy in HK right now:

[​IMG]

"Fell off the back of a truck, mate".

5. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

the part I outlined in BOLD raises a flag for me, why would he wait until he got back to his hotel before calling police?
    something is not right about his story.
    Insurance fraud????
    If this was me, I would have called the police right away, and a business man with that amount of money has a cellphone with him at all times
    and Hong Kong has great cell coverage

6. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

There are a lot of these emails going around about buying gold from Africa and other suspect places. It seem this guy got sucked into one of them. It is possible that the Ghana people did put real gold into the boxes, but at some point in Ghana airport/customs I think the boxes would have left the Chinese guy's staff (eg they have to be customs checked, you can't come in here) and that's when the switch happened. The Chinese people made the mistake of thinking the officials in Ghana could be trusted.

7. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

having had small dealings with a chinese company myself, I've found them to be a little overly trusting.

But then again, what goes around comes around, have you ever bought an appliance made in china that wasn't what you expected?

picking up e-waste, everyday I get the same story, bought this blender or vacuum cleaner, worked 3 months and it just stopped.
    I always say, yeah, probably made in china and chuck in the van.

8. goldpelican

Alternatively I've heard some shockers about Chinese export agents substituting products with inferior counterfeits after the first initial export of quality genuine items to gain the buyer's trust.

Ghana is obviously a genuine gold producing country, so either the buyer was scammed from the beginning with the on-site employee being complicit, or there was a switcheroo at some point as Bron suggested by either the accompanying employee or Customs/freight staff.

I see these offers for gold etc from Ghana on a daily basis, and I know of two people in Melbourne that have been recently burnt to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars from an advance wire fraud scam where they believed they were buying gold bars or gold dust for ridiculous prices like $30,000 per kilogram on delivery, but they had to wire the money for freight, insurance, customs etc up front. Usually they didn't cotton on until after the third or fourth request for money to be wired in advance. Sad how otherwise intelligent people can fall for what is obvious to others as a scam. Only about two weeks ago I came into contact with a third person (whom I've worked with professionally in the past) who was being groomed for a similar scam, but refused to believe that there was any hint of a scam about the transaction he was entering into. Deaf ears. I asked why would someone in the industry in Ghana need to work with a person in Australia that has no industry experience or knowledge to arrange an importation of gold to Australia when there's plenty of legitimate channels it could come in through. Lalalalalah I can't hear you there's money to be made.

9. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Something doesn't add up - HK$270m is about US$34.8m at current exchange rates, which would buy you about 865kg of gold at current spot, not the 998kg reported in the article. :/

Either the journalist got the $value or weight wrong, or the buyer got a 15% "special" discount from the sellers! :lol:

10. goldpelican

Legitimate gold from Ghana is often advertised at discounts. May not have been refined to pure etc, plus there's a "pain in the arse" discount for being in Africa.

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

$25K per Kg of 90% is what I was told , then you just have to get it out of the country

12. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

So I could go to for a day.. get a couple of kilo's of gold and walk out of the country 30-40k richer? rinse and repeat? lol..

13. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps GP can put together a group buy? :)

14. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    Do you think you will get out of the country alive ? ;)
    I recently heard of a local guy who went to an African country to buy diamonds

He recently came back , in a urn as ashes :(
    His guide hasn't come back .

15. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep, we get surburban accountants or similar contacting us saying they have been contacted from someone with gold to sell/refine, usually at some discount or cut this guy gets and same lalala when we say why would the seller go through you when they could just go directly to Perth Mint. Greed blinds people, simple as that.

16. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had an associate of mine at one stage want me to go to Ghana on his behalf to purchase kg's of gold.

Now he was no idiot by any means but try as i might i could not persuade him that in all likely hood he was being scammed.
    Over a period of 3 months he literally convinced himself the deal was real and talked another 3rd party into going on his behalf.
    Greed must have short circuited his common sense because he went ahead with the plan.
    Fortunately for him the 3rd party who received an all expenses paid trip to an interim destination decided to live it up big with the cash funds he had been given as travel expenses and then requested a top up to proceed further because he was now broke.
    My associate pulled the pin.
    To this day i think he should be grateful to that bloke for drinking and gambling his travel expenses away otherwise he could have lost a substantial amount more.

REDBACK

17. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

but they had to wire the money for freight, insurance, customs etc up front.

That's aairly common one and I've seen it done here on several occasions, people buying second hand boats, cars, medium priced mechanical 'bargains' etc

18. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

I'm with Torcan - why would you wait to go back to the hotel? And if I was the buyer, I'd have been ringing if the dealer wasn't. I'd be pretty well convinced that the moment he wanted to delay calling the cops, that he had been scamming me.