Help! DHL from US to Aus

Discussion in 'Silver' started by rml978, Jan 7, 2011.

1. rml978

rml978 Member

Hello,

I am trying to get some silver in from the states and DHL refused the package. They even gave me the option of discarding the package :mad:

Here is the message:

Dear xx
    Thank you for choosing us.
    We regret to inform you that your shipment xxx has been rejected by DHL as they have found that the package contains Silver Bars which cannot be imported into Australia. We will be refunding you the amount paid for the shipment and would require you to advise if you would like to return this package back to the merchant or discard the package. We charge a return handling fee of USD5 for the return of the package. Kindly also provide us with the return shipping label for this package in order for us to ship this package back to the merchant for you. If otherwise, a return shipping charge of USD6 for the first kg and USD2 for every subsequent kg applies.
    Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
    Thank you for choosing to shop with us, and we look forward to serving you again.

Warm regards,

xx

I have asked them to clarify there reasons for the refusal or ask them to use a different courier.

Any further suggestions/previous threads? I have looked at the customs thread... http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-5153-gst-on-combined-precious-metal-numismatic-imports.html

rml978

2. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

DHL, FedEx, they are all evil. I'm $650 out of pocket due to FedEx illegally charging me GST on a shipment, probably take me months to get it refunded. ATTICA! ATTICA! ATTICA!

[​IMG]

3. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Pretty weak explanation... I would look at getting some further details as to the reason for rejecting the content based on being silver bars, there is nothing in the australian customs charter to indicate any issues with the importation of Silver or any other form of precious metals (unless they are hollowed out and packed with some sort of illegal substance)... Once you have this info you can look at taking this up with DHL/customs...

4. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. smokey

smokey New Member

Big fan of hand to hand delivery. Did not get your fix. Soon,soon, I am sure they will try again.

6. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

that's the bit that burns me. I will endeavour to ensure nobody I know will ever give these arsehats 1 cent of business ever again.

7. Captain Kookaburra

8. Captain Kookaburra

This part of their statement is completely wrong.....

Email them FedEx's terms of service and tell em to screw themselves.

9. Captain Kookaburra

... also point them to this thread. I think they need to understand how much custom they stand to lose.

10. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Thanks for the Post CK, I wasnt aware that these f@ck's would reject based on PM content, I could understand their position of not being responsible for the contents though I would have thought a waiver or personal insurance would cover their liabilities...

Never shipped using DHL, always been either UPS or Fedex which are fine... Certainly wont be using DHL for anything PM related...

11. rml978

rml978 Member

page 9, part D.

Well, I just hope we can work out another courier. With which courier companies have ppl had success from US to Aus?

rml978

12. rml978

rml978 Member

13. TopMetal

TopMetal New Member

Has anyone had experience with this crowd:

http://www.cosecure.us

Shipping valuables internationally (including bullion), is what they appear to be all about.
    The main negative is that they operate via Cairns airport in Australia but maybe it's possible to use a domestic courier to get your bullion to/from that airport.

14. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

That's bullshit man, since when silver bars are illegal to be imported to Oz? Ask them where they got the idea from?

If silver bars import is illegal then how come we have PAMP Suisse bars here in Oz!????

I imported First Majestic silver bars from Canada to Oz using UPS, they came through. But they charged me GST for them, damn opportunist!

15. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

So if DHL don't ship PM bullion, why the hell they accept the shipment from US in the first place. And why in the world your PM seller in US use DHL if they know DHL don't ship PM!???

If anything this is your PM seller fault for not knowing DHL policy! :mad:

First Majestic in Canada uses UPS to ship their silver bars overseas, I got my shipment just fine. But the GST charge is completely constitutional! :mad:

16. felix

felix New Member

i just had 8 packages of bullion delivered from the u.s. using usps. granted they were all under $1000.... ie $950 including postage so i didnt have to pay gst. and i did insure them. but i was able to track them all the way from their postage point then out of america, into australian customs and then to my local post office. even during the busy christmas period none of these packages took more than 9 days to arrive, and they were all easily trackable on the internet. am not sure if this helps, but i'm happy with usps. all they stated on the outside of the package was the price and .999 ag bullion.

17. Apollo

Apollo New Member

felix, you shipped 8 separate packages from the US to AUS? didnt that cost you a sh!tload in separate shipping?

18. silverwalla

silverwalla Member

Maloney also uses UPS. I got some eagles from his site and had no problems with GST etc with UPS.

19. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

USPS is the way to go for sure, always gets here from the US.
    DHL dont even deliver to PO boxes, said it needs to be signed. Have no trouble signing USPS registered documents to get my stuff from my PO Box though

20. rml978

rml978 Member

a happy ending....

well finally.. here are the details I omitted earlier, I wanted to have the ag in my possession before I posted..

the one line summary:

check your courier's fine print...

once I bought the desirable scottsdale bars I thought I might save a few bob by sending the package to a freight forwarding site in the us. I looked at a few and they looked competitive. my bro gets other stuff (clothes etc) using these services and saves a fair bit. however, i did not read their fine print.. which clearly says they will not take bullion..,, so i accept the blame. however, when i got their message about: "would you like us to discard the parcel" i started to worry a bit. at this stage i had not read the fine print so was not happy about paying the return postage to scottsdale... when i found it i paid up and they returned it. once it was in scottsdale's possession i paid their courier fees, using fedex. Their service is excellent. I asked them to put in the gst advisory note and it was picked up by fedex on the 31st and delivered today on the 4th(all trackable via internet)(the order was 3 x 10oz, so sub $1000)... a happy end to the story., although a bit steep on delivery fees, albeit self inflicted...

bottom line.... check your courier rules closely... also, scottsdale with fedex, although a little pricey, provided a fantastic service. my little 10oz-ers have travelled a bit, however, have found their home! on my birthday as well... woohoo.

rml978