The war for fresh water

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by boneyard, Jun 10, 2014.

1. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Inevitable,

.......but Victoria has the solution, a brand spanking NEW, UNUSED, desalination plant, compliments of the Brumby politburo.

OC

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I gotta get another water tank I reckon. My problem is the lack of catchment for another tank though.

4. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

We'll there is no point getting another tank if there is nothing to fill it with.

Now I don't know if it would work because I don't know the 'shelf life' but could you possibly get it filled the first time by cart then rotate tanks? Ie once one is full start using it as the catchment fills the other?

5. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I'm pretty sure they said the same thing when I was in primary school, and I believed it, but the year was 2000 and that came, went, and was forgotten. Much like the predictions of DOOM.

6. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When was the last big Dam built in Aus ? We hear all about drought all the time but precious little about floods unless they are disastrous, Dams can not only provide water but also mitigate flooding as well. Just how much water did any of those desal plants catch in recent major rain events?
    Multiples the size of Sydney harbour run to the ocean every year here in the north, shit we have a private dam just down the road that holds 129,000ML most years and is totally unused except for a few thousand cattle, and that's only if the Mitchell river runs dry (yet to happen).
    Water runs naturally from north Queensland all the way to lake Eyre in S.A every few years of it's own accord, surely we have the technology to create another lake Argyle (It's storage capacity, to the top of the spillway is 10,763,000 megalitres. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Argyle) or better in the north east and pipe it south and east?, That would be some major job creation and secure water supply for the majority of the country's population on the eastern seaboard.

Scarcity of water in this country apart from the normal boom or bust agriculture is due either to lack of forward planning or by design not due to lack of rain or water. The sub artesian basin which covers over 20% of the total landmass of Aus has about 65,000 cubic kilometres of water in it.
    We might be the driest continent on earth outside of Antarctica but that is more due to landscape than rainfall or resources.

Chuck a new tank next to your existing one and put an overflow join in.

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Paradise Dam was built on the Burnett River near Bundaberg around 2000...As far as irrigation goes it has proved to be a white elephant as the charges for water are too high so that during dry times not much water is used by farmers.

Also the dam is useless for flood mitigation as the flood in 2013 went right over the top..

I agree with SX that water could be diverted from parts of NQ to irrigate the inland areas of Qld, NSW and Victoria...Another inland irrigation to rival the Snowy Mt is what Australia needs right now to revive the economic life of parts of the Inland .

Regards Errol 43

8. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. Old Codger

Try and build a dam ANYWHERE in Australia now and see how far you get.

OC

10. Court Jester

the future is desalination plants probably powered by renewable energy sources.

There is more than enough water on the planet for peoples needs.

Also read an article on the new expensive lemmon F35 JSF aircraft where the current Russian and Chinese aircraft are already superior to it and the next gen will be better again.

USA does not stand a chance.

edit link: http://www.news.com.au/technology/t...-too-big-to-fail/story-e6frfrnr-1226950254330

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If fresh water is so readily abundant then why are we seeing stories such as the following....

More: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-ne...-banks-are-buying-up-the-worlds-water/5383274

12. Court Jester

I did not say "fresh" water specifically.

I said water is readily available.

but all sea water can be made drinkable. That is how the ARABS have been doing it with desalination for quite a while now.

water will not be a problem going into the future. Like I said all our needs can be met with desalination powered by renewables or nuclear energy.

13. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If multinational corporations, banks and billionaires are buying up the world's water rights, then governments will never approve large scale desalination if it undercuts these investments, let alone encourage the renewable energy infrastructure to power it if there is any risk to the businesses of incumbent energy industries.

The fact is, energy is becoming more expensive and this reduces the viability of desalination plants. And it would be political suicide for any Australian government to push for nuclear power.

14. Court Jester

well that's your opinions and you are entitled to it but I disagree with every point you made.

desalination would be probably more expensive than dams / other natural sources so the gov wont be under cutting anyone however just like electricity is now there can be a mix of government and private owned "generators" Something as critical as water should never be left solely in the hands of private enterprise -- and this wont happen. We already have several large desalinization plants around the country and there is no reason they would not build more in the future if needed.

There is no reason why we cant have some of the cheapest electricity in the world in this country powered by renewable / nuclear power in Australia. We have abundant amounts of both. ( renewable energy sources and uranium ore )

One day Australia will be powered by Nuclear power. It is only a matter of time, we cant continue burning coal for ever.

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Why not?

What magical powers do governments possess that ensures they are the most effective and efficient providers of one of the basic needs of life?

If you want government management of electricity then it won't come cheap.

16. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

If it's true for water why not for food? I mean, surely you are not suggesting that the provision of food should be left to something as unreliable as the market?

17. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Booom.

18. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The biggest reason to date has been that the cheapest electricity has not been from most renewables or nuclear - abundant or not. When they are actually cost effective there's no reason why we can't adopt them then. Whether it will be 2016, 2020 or 2050 who knows.

19. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Argentines starved when their economy collapsed as companies exported the food that they produced

20. Old Codger

"Argentines starved when their economy collapsed as companies exported the food that they produced"

One of the little tricks the Argentines perfected in the '80s was get a big bunch of mates outside a supermarket.

Someone gave the signal, and they smashed down the doors and stripped the shelves bare. All in a matter of minutes. Why would the shop-keeper, or the wholesaler, bother?

OC