In too deep

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Mochi, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Mochi

Mochi New Member

Good afternoon,

Have a dilemma . . . .

New to stacking and for my first purchase I purchased a 1997 Kookaburra 10 oz Coin, and recently acquired 2 x 10oz Geiger bars,

Did I waste my money on the Kookaburra, for the same amount of silver the geiger bars were miles cheaper.

Starting to feel that I am in too deep when it comes to the value of silver coins,

So advice time:

- Do you guys think I should keep the kookaburra and continue stacking my Geigers

or

- Sell the Kookaburra and use the money to buy more Geigers

or if Anyone has any advice that can educate me on silver coins it would be great, I'm staring at the Kookaburra and not really feeling the love..

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

If you dont like the kook sell it , its only a lump of metal

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's your definition of 'in too deep'? Bless!

A lump of silver will not love you back... Not sure what you were expecting there :p

Keep your Kooks and buy whatever you prefer. Kooks have better chance of appreciating more than Geigers. What's the premium difference from where you're buying them? If it's $10 or so, buy Kooks

4. Mochi

Mochi New Member

Lol i don't want the metal to love me back,

Just not feeling it for coins, i'll leave it in the box for a bit and dig it out in a few months time to see if anything changes.

5. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been surprised at the way my more collectable coins have held on to some of their value as the bullion price declined. So far I am not regretting paying a premium for coins like early kooks (1 oz) or S1 lunar gold coins compared to the option of brute bullion. Sure I wish I'd never bought them now, I'm thousands of dollars down, but I don't regret it in the sense of wishing I'd bought plain bullion instead. Don't know how the 10 oz kooks are faring, but I'd hang onto it and not trade it for bars if it were my choice, just one opinion, not expert.

6. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

I started stacking only a few weeks ago now. I've been researching in all my spare time various things. If you feel you are a little clueless on the worth of bullion vs coins & premiums then just sit back... and read. Compare things across all internet sites etc.

Bullion bars will only be worth their silver weight, they are not desirable. Coins will always hold bigger prices as they are currency, people have more confidence in them and ultimately they look pretty. The less minted, the more the price (generally). Rarer means bigger premiums.

I've started collecting 1oz silver coins and 10oz lunar II. I shall branch off onto the Koalas, Kooks and then anything else I can get my hands on but that will keep me busy for a while i'm sure :)

7. SweetBread

SweetBread Member

Hi Mochi

Im new to stacking as well, I know your concern, I feel that way often' what am I doing?
    You have bought it now so sit back and wait for a while see how you feel, as long as you dont pay too much over I think kook is better, someone may need that year in the future and pay you more for it, not so with a bar.

Take your time with purchases, there is no rush.

8. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

The only rush is the fact, if you want current coins then make sure you get them in the year they are produced. They are easily available and far cheaper at bullion dealers than trying to find past years that dealers no longer stock.

9. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just for clarity, how much did the kookaburra cost, and how much did the geigers cost?

10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

30 oz is "in too deep"? OK...

11. Sneakypeen

Sneakypeen Active Member

It is not the amount that he is worried about it the the Kook itself. Not sure if it was worth the premium. Could have just bought more silver for the same price is how Mochi sees it (I am guessing).

12. Mochi

Mochi New Member

The geiger 10oz were 242 and the kook was 329, seemed awesome at the time because I thought 1997 was at least old-ish.

I'm still going to complete my geiger box (450oz) then start coins, I hope by then I have a bit more knowledge

But if I learnt anything today it's to stack 2014 1oz coins while still in production ;)

13. toorak13

toorak13 Member

terminator?

14. Sneakypeen

Sneakypeen Active Member

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Lots of good comments and advice to Mochi here.

I would hold onto the Kook unless you feel you really need the money to buy blobs (non-denomination common bullion bars) in which case you can sell the Kook. But if you can't sell it without taking a loss, I would sit on it.

Consolidated silver prices (low spot for silver) will likely (no one knows for certain....simply my opinion based on what I am seeing) be around for quite a while so as SweetBread commented, take your time, there's no rush. Blob prices are not going to be shooting to da moon any time soon.