How one man got 2000 ounces of silver from the bank legally.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lshallperish, Jun 10, 2014.

1. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

So this is from america but I am hoping maybe we can do something like that in Australia? I hope..

Anyway's so this guy goes to the bank's and wants 50 cent coins and once he gets a roll of 50 cent coin's he looks through them to find 1969 or lower year coins which contain 40-90% silver. He keeps the that coin and the rest are returned to the bank to get back his money minus couple of bucks I suppose.

He ended up doing it in a larger scale getting 5-6 boxes of these coins every week and eventually got 2000 ounces of silver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kna9P7CH2dI

2. Yeti Hunter

Yeti Hunter Member

When was the last time you found a round 50c piece in your change?

3. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

That'd be in America, plus it is silver so definitely doesn't belong in the gold section

4. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My father in law found one a few months ago.

On that note, wouldn't it have been great if the nickel 50c was the same dimensions as the 1966 silver ones. Then we'd have a fair chance of finding them.

5. trozau

trozau Member

Made me wonder if some US folks in the past from late 1800s to early 1900s went to the bank and exchanged their paper $20 bill for gold Liberty Head or St Gaudens Double Eagles and hoarded them. :cool:

Guess I was born too late. :D

6. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

I did that once with 20 cent coins and scored a wavy 1966 version. If you did that with one dollar coins and scored a mule then that would be a nice little earner. 50c pieces can be fun to go through with all the different versions but you're unlikely to find anything of great value.

Just be aware that a small face value in coins weighs a hernia-inducing f*cking tonne - particularly the 5/10/20c coins. Also be aware you are most likely going to have to order in coins in advance.

7. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

I remember finding some silver coins among the change, but that was over 30 years ago. Nothing since. I think they have been filtered out over the years. So good luck. You are more likely to get these 2,000 oz of silver by working on a job and going to a dealer ;)

8. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Good luck with that! I've been reading threads on people coin roll searching and your lucky to pull one from $2000 dollars in half dollars. I think we just missed the train on this, would have been much more effective 40 years back. Even just finding the copper pennies is getting harder since people are beginning to hoard those aswell

9. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are plenty people in the US with sorting machines looking for pre-82 copper pennies: 1c face value, 2c worth of copper.

Apparently there are still enough in circulation to make this "urban mining" worthwhile.

10. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

On what premise? It was nothing illegal. But I personally don't believe in wasting other's time/resources to sort through your own rummaged pile of coins.

Coincidentally, he had been doing this through the same bank locations that I've been using. Small world!

11. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Coin roll hunting in the US was a great idea in the late 60's, the 70's and even into the 80's, but it's now an idea whose time has long since passed. When I started stacking, I played with CRH until I learned the awful truth of it all. I went through over 100 bank boxes of halves (that's 100,000 coins) and never found even one single stinking silver coin. Quarters are just as bad. Dimes tend to yield one silver dime for every two bank boxes (5,000 coins). Nickels are also dismally unproductive.

When I see those asinine, truthless stories about all the silver that's just waiting at the bank for you to go pick it up, I have to wonder about why on earth somebody would go spinning fantasy tales like that. If you want to make some money, go get a PT job at McDonalds---you'll net a LOT more money for your time than you'll ever find by coin roll hunting in the US these days. Plus, you'll get a free lunch every day (even if it's one that would gag a maggot) and a really cool-looking uniform to wear while you're slinging shitburgers!

12. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I was doing it for awhile since I was bored. Depending on the box I got I was netting only about 20-25% copper pennies, then out of nowhere all the boxes I was getting from banks in my area was only netting 2% copper pennies. Factor in the drive to grab the pennies, and then having to hang onto hundreds of dollar in normal pennies made it not worth it for me. I bought 125$ in pennies one day and they were all fresh 2013 minus a penny or 2 per role. I felt like an idiot returning 125$ in rolled pennies to the bank and gave up after that haha

13. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

A great place to look is at Bingo games...Some of the oldies, often take coins found in drawers at home..

How do I know, used to run a bingo game. :)

Regards Errol 43

14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Oh, Errol---that's awful but I like it a lot! That's almost as bad as trolling for depressed, distraught, lonely damsels who need companionship in dive bars on Xmas Eve,
    but I do like it! I think I'm going to contact some local bingo ops, tell the mgr I'm a coin collector who needs to fill in a few holes in some albums and see if they'll let
    me paw through their weekly coin take.

15. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Coin collectors are still roll hunting.
    They can get a bigger payoff than the stackers, since they have more to look for.
    They can find not only a 90%, but a key date 90%.
    And occasionally they find worthwhile non-silver.

Even so, pickings are slim.
    20 rolls a week, reroll and churn them out, takes time. Payoff only one or two, maybe none.
    Some roll hunters do much more.
    From what I hear, many don't even bother with tenths or quarters, just halves.

A friend is doing coin books, pennies, nickels too. We have a lot of Amish around, who are known to squirrel away coins, and he has gotten some nice 1950's and older stuff as change where they shop - nickels and pennies. No real evidence, but I'm guessing it comes from them.
    No 90% that he would admit to. I'm guessing the Amish know about 90%.
    If they don't, many others do, here in the sticks. I hear it is different in the cities.
    A 90% dime won't pass through many hands before it is tucked away. I haven't seen one in the last 15 years.

One of those coin collectors posted that he found some proof 90% in bank rolls. Uncirculated condition lost, but the favorable proof mark that is undeniable, and that is where the value is.
    Someone was going through dad's estate, and found some change in a plastic case, no sense it going to waste. I know this happens.

16. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

The silver community is small in this world. There is over 200 million coins from 1948 to 1963 so its still out there

17. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

When 85 individuals own one half of all global wealth, we can expect the bottom half lacks wealth, so yes, small community globally.

The silver stackers may be a small community, but my experience it that every extended household has someone watching for and tucking way the 90%, in my part of the globe.
    Twenty or thirty years ago when friends would be checking for the lack of a copper band on coins, I asked a few if they were coin collectors.
    'Only the silver ones.'
    I know a lot of people who have no interest in stacking, no interest in coin collecting, but they watch for the 90%.
    But that's just me.

Bags of 90% get passed around from stacker to stacker. That's what I see.

I do not get copper rolls at banks, but I do sort through my copper, and find a wheatie once in a while (pre-1959).
    1959-1981 has good copper content, so rolling those too.
    You never know, I missed the boat the first time with silver.

18. jav71

jav71 New Member

I got back into roll hunting about 2008. To the naysayers, I've found well over 1,000 silver coins including halves, quarters, nickels and dimes. No way? Waaaaaaaaaay!!!

Halves are a joke now, so I concentrate on dimes. I have averaged 1 silver per $150 in dimes since '08. I find Barbers, mercs, Canadians and silver proofs. You have to love this hobby or else you'll give up right off the bat. This is my second post on the forum so greetings - just thought i'd chime in on this one.

19. jav71

jav71 New Member

Bunch of reads but no comments? Naysayers.

20. Greely

Greely New Member

My wife occasionally finds them. She's in a good spot for it though, works as a bank teller. She's made it a habit to keep change handy so she can buy them out from the bank.